Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 20, 2019, 09:05:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darwin update- bad news  (Read 11252 times)
kjb131313

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 11:06:03 PM »

It is one year today that Toby had surgery on his other leg for a torn ACL. The first tear wasn't so bad. Toby could walk but acted funny getting up. The tear last year......he couldn't and wouldn't put his leg down. The Ortho couldn't get him in for 3 weeks. So he walked and played on three legs. The second time around, they put a titanium plate in as I went through such a nightmare with the previous ACL tear. It was amazing! $2500 later.........Toby walked in about 2 weeks and never limped. He was 7 years old at the time. He is just fine but I baby him more than I should. No more dog daycare and I am so protective of him. Two luxating patellas and two torn ACLs........Not sure I will ever own a dog again. LOL!!!!
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 12:59:23 AM »

I actually thought about Toby Wan when he did it Smiley I'm glad to hear that he's doing better because I remember (and now completely understand) how upset you were. I never heard of the titanium plate- is that a different type of repair? Darwin is scheduled for the lateral suture stabilization in 2 weeks. He is also bouncing around fine on 3 legs but it makes me nervous because I keep picturing the other one rupturing!

kjb131313

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »

Toby had the lateral suture stabilization on the first torn ACL. It wasn't the best option for him. They ended up having to remove the suture a few months after as it was causing irritation and rubbing again his tendon or something like that? The Ortho said it only happens in a handful of cases each year. Just our luck. That surgery was $1,500.00. The Ortho remembered all we went through with the first surgery so he opted for the titanium plate. They usually use the titanium plate on big dogs but do make ones for small dogs. However, it is more expensive. But recovery time was quicker. The titanium plate is also more evasive. Toby couldn't go home the same day like the suture. He had to stay overnight for observation. He never limped after that operation. He doesn't limp anymore and seems to be doing just fine. He does though, stretch out his back legs, after sitting too long. Then he is off to walking and playing. If you have any questions after, feel free to reach out. I have gone through it all and still worry. The recovery period is tricky but you will both get through it. Toby sends kisses your way.
kjb131313

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 11:56:47 AM »

Also, the other worry with the titanium plate was risk of infection. Unlike the suture, if there was infection in the titanium plate after surgery, the ENTIRE surgery would have to be redone. So, I literally stayed up most nights watching Toby to make sure he didn't get his cone off and lick the suture.
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »

Toby had the lateral suture stabilization on the first torn ACL. It wasn't the best option for him. They ended up having to remove the suture a few months after as it was causing irritation and rubbing again his tendon or something like that? The Ortho said it only happens in a handful of cases each year. Just our luck. That surgery was $1,500.00. The Ortho remembered all we went through with the first surgery so he opted for the titanium plate. They usually use the titanium plate on big dogs but do make ones for small dogs. However, it is more expensive. But recovery time was quicker. The titanium plate is also more evasive. Toby couldn't go home the same day like the suture. He had to stay overnight for observation. He never limped after that operation. He doesn't limp anymore and seems to be doing just fine. He does though, stretch out his back legs, after sitting too long. Then he is off to walking and playing. If you have any questions after, feel free to reach out. I have gone through it all and still worry. The recovery period is tricky but you will both get through it. Toby sends kisses your way.
Thanks for this. I guess I'll cross my fingers (tight) and hope the suture repair works for him. A large part of the decision was the infection risk- Darwin is a Houdini when it comes to licking wounds. He had his neuter incision raw because he licked the heck out it before they even realized he was awake from anesthesia. Any little grooming nick becomes an abscess. I know we'll still have to guard against infection with this surgery, but bone infection is a very scary thought.

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 10:56:16 AM »

I think Sandie  said she used a playpen for Frankie. another active fluff. That might be a good idea for you too, Chris, because it will allow Darwin more freedom, and a better chance to dissipate some of his energy, than a crate.  The playpen would also be better if Darwin is unused to a crate, as I think you said.
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 01:48:28 PM »

Oh Chris, I have just seen this.  Sorry to hear poor Darwin has been in the wars.  Not an expert but Titch torn her cruciate (running into the sea) and had a basic repair done at the vets.  Poppy's just went - according to the vets she had very 'wobbly' joints.  Due to her age (it was a couple of years ago now) the vet would not do surgery.  It did heal and is fine now thank goodness.  She gets around well really for a 14/15 year old.
Best wishes
Pam

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 01:40:09 AM »

Thanks Pam. I'm finding out it's not so uncommon. His surgery is the 21st. He is still not setting it down at all, so it doesn't look like he'd be one of the lucky ones to have it heal on its own anyway.

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 03:37:53 PM »

If anyone has a few spare positive thoughts to send our way, I'd appreciate it. My fluff baby is in the OR right now. I am trying not to be nervous, but I'm afraid my bit of PTSD (from my human baby having super risky open heart surgery at 3 months old) is kicking in. Deep breaths.....

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 04:17:44 PM »

Chris,

you and Darwin are in my thoughts -- I hope all goes well. It's good that he's having surgery now -- he'll be healed that much sooner!

Craig
susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 05:21:23 PM »

Sending positive thoughts to you and Darwin ....Hoping he will have a smooth and non-eventful recovery.

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 06:00:06 PM »

Fingers and toes all crossed here.  Do hope it all goes smoothly
Pam

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »

I hope hes home safe and well very soon.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »

Just checking in on Darwin - and Chris!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »

I talked to the vet last evening and he did well. He ended up also having a cyst removed from his eyelid, which was apparently a bit tricky. He stayed overnight and comes home this afternoon. The surgeon vet is quite sure it's only a matter of time before the other side ruptures based on the X-rays. One thing at a time, I guess.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: