Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 20, 2019, 09:22:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Veterinary Ophthalmologist  (Read 2272 times)
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« on: December 19, 2016, 09:32:29 PM »

Hello all!
My precious timid baby, Mia, has developed a cataract in one eye that came up so fast I was afraid of diabetes. She does not have diabetes, thank God, but cannot see out of her one eye and the vet said the other eye is effected but he did not know to what extent.  He recommended her to E. Dan Wold DVM, DACVO Veterinary Ophthalmologist, which is hours away from us.  I know we have to do this but not sure how we can with her and her two sisters.  Does anyone know of this eye clinic or have any experience?  She is 8 but of all the dogs I have had all my life and all the dogs I have known, only my baby gets this.  My husband says she is so afraid of everything and everyone he does not think she will be able to take the procedure but that is just why I say he cannot let her go permanently blind. 
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 10:32:45 AM »

I am sorry to read that Mia has cataracts. 

These are rather common as dogs age.  Dogs do well without sight; they use their sense of smell quite a lot.  You do have to be sure not to move furniture.  And most dogs figure things out from the location of their water bowl, so that also needs to remain in place.

My RB Sugar came to me at age 9 with cataracts, one eye almost blind.  We knew this when we adopted her.  She had also been attacked by a large dog less than a year prior, as a result she was very fearful. She never even saw the other dog coming.   For this reason we also knew right from when we adopted her that we would give her the gift of sight.  Sugar saw an opthalmologist vet, and had cataract surgery with new lens implant on the worst of the 2 eyes.  Three years later, she had the second eye done.  This was a huge thing in helping her overcome her fears, all resulting from the dog attack.   

It is an expensive surgery; in RI, it was $2500 per eye with an additional $250 for the new lens implant.  And that was back in 2007.  The good news is, the dog eye is very similar to the human eye.  Hence the surgery has a long track record of success.  And it is quite like the human surgery, with the eye drops prior to and after surgery of utmost importance, to ensure a good result with healing.  It is quite a regimen of drops.  The only difference from a human surgery is that the dog does not need to wear sunglasses for a week or so post op!

When Sugar had her second eye done, my Dad also had his first eye done.  Then my RB Lacey developed pink eye . . .  in BOTH EYES.  I had to develop a spreadsheet of who had which drops when.  I was having dreams of the world lined up for me to give eye drops!

Is there another opth. vet closer to you? 

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 11:44:06 PM »

Thank you, Sandie.  I need to know what to expect.  One big thing was if they give them protective eye wear when they do the surgery or dilate the eyes.   I guess they dont from what you said but would think they need it?  Mia has her app with the surgeon Jan 10th.  Her vet said it is about 2500 an eye.   
Please tell me what to expect.  The lady I talked to making the appointment said the surgery takes an hour.  I thought it was 15 min on a person, does it really take that long?   I wish I had a baby sitter for her sisters because we will have to take them each trip. 
The cataract came on so quick it really scares me. 
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 11:55:08 AM »

No protective eye wear.

Surgery is an hour because they have to sedate the dog.  With a human, they only sedate the eye.  You can tell a human, "now hold still for 10 seconds." You can't do that with a dog.  Hence the need for sedation, and the hour.  As I recall I dropped Sugar off in the morning and picked her up t 4:30 both times.p

As with a human, you do have to return the next morning for follow up.  And there are several follow up appts. after that.

But your first appointment is to meet the surgeon, and the surgeon meets the dog, assesses the eye, makes a few tests  The tests were non invasive.  Such as, while the dog is standing on the exam table, and you are holding the dog, s/he moves hand in front of dog to see if dog tracks hand.  Will toss a cotton ball up in the air, on the side so only peripheral vision is used, to see if dog reacts -- sees the ball come up into view and down.  Most likely each surgeon has their own tests, that is ho aw our surgeon did it.  She also tossed up a QTip, smaller object.   The surgeon will also look in the eye with the scope, same as our doctors do.

You always take all the dogs with you?  You never leave them at home alone?  That is not good.   Do you use crates?  (I don't but some do.) That is a good comfortable space for them, especially if you drape a towel or blanket over it, it becomes a den.  Well, you will not be allowed to bring the other 2 dogs in the exam room (I don't think), so do you leave them in the car?

MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 03:51:57 PM »

The office is far away or we'd leave the dogs home, no problem.  We will be gone all day for each trip.
Thanks for the heads up. 
No eye patch either? 
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 10:43:07 PM »

No eye patch. 

MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:24:19 PM »

Tomorrow is my Mia's appointment.  I am still praying doc will say no she does not need surgery..   Somebody say a prayer for her please!  It will be a long day.
Anyone know why I am not getting notifications to replies?
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 06:39:15 PM »

Check your settings re replies.  Have you changed your email addy?  Can't think of anything else to suggest.

Good luck tomorrow.

MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 06:46:01 PM »

Yes, checked setting and unchecked notify and rechecked notify..  Shucks!  Sad

Thanks.   Tomorrow we will know more. 
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 06:48:30 PM »

You aren't receiving notifications on any boards right now.

To request notifications from a specific board, click the "notify" button in the index of that board.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »

Went to dr visit.  My baby is totally blind in that one eye.  The dr said she will be on eye drops the rest of her life, and to carefully watch the other eye.  They only operate if both eyes get cataracts.  He said this is hereditary cataracts.  How sad for my baby.
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 03:33:48 PM »

Good that there is not some underlying health issue which caused this.

Dogs do well blind; they navigate by scent most of the time.  And in the home, they start from the water dish.  So you want to keep the water bowl in the same place and try not to move furniture around too much.  Of course, she has the good eye so none of this is critical just now.

What eye drops do you have for her?

MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 10:41:14 PM »

I do not have the bottle here but it's something like Diclofenac Sodium Ophthalmic Solution. 
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »

That is a good eye medication, it helps to reduce swelling.  However it is only intended for short term use.  I thought you said the drops were for life?  What diagnosis resulted in the need to reduce swelling?

MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 03:28:08 PM »

I pulled my back muscle so do not want to go get it, and wrote what I thought it was. I will get the exact prescription later.  Smiley  But it is to help not get infection and help against glaucoma.. 
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: