Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
November 21, 2018, 02:24:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larger Bichon Breeders  (Read 7488 times)
sherry20636

« on: August 14, 2016, 04:47:25 PM »

Hi Everyone,  I live in So. MD and would be willing to drive 10 hours max, so I'm even considering pups in Canada.  The thing is, I would like my pup's sire to be a really robust, bigger Bichon. (I had a svelte, long legged 17 pound boy and would welcome another.) Does anyone know someone who is breeding a handsome bigger boy? (~15lbs+).  Thanks. Sherry
Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 12:07:36 PM »

Hi Sherry!  wave I'll betcha someone will be along soon to help ya out.  nodding

I have no idea about breeders... wacko Sorry. I just didn't want ya to think you were being ignored.  no

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »

I hope you find just who you are looking for very soon

sherry20636

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »

Hi Sherry!  wave I'll betcha someone will be along soon to help ya out.  nodding

I have no idea about breeders... wacko Sorry. I just didn't want ya to think you were being ignored.  no

Aww, thanks Terri!
sherry20636

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 09:44:35 PM »

I hope you find just who you are looking for very soon

Thanks, Alison...I'm holding my breath.
southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 01:34:29 PM »

I have heard of breeders who try to produce "teacup bichons," but never of a breeder who sought to produce large-framed pups..  Maybe someone else knows.  Maybe you should call or e-mail some breeders within ten hours of you, and see if anyone has or tries to breed what you want.
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 08:02:50 AM »

There is a breeder local to us who produces big bichons but the pedigree and quality is very suspect.  Not that that is of much use to you as we are in the UK.
Our Bengy is big and came to us from rescue.  It might be worth looking at your local bichon rescue?
Good luck
Pam

sherry20636

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »

I have heard of breeders who try to produce "teacup bichons," but never of a breeder who sought to produce large-framed pups..  Maybe someone else knows.  Maybe you should call or e-mail some breeders within ten hours of you, and see if anyone has or tries to breed what you want.

Good idea!  I have been doing just that but they are all breeding within breed standard, on the smaller end.  That's why I posted here.  I figured it is worth a try.  I've even asked on a couple of FB forums if people that owned larger Bichons could tell me where they got them. No one has replied except to ask me why I want to know.

Thanks!
sherry20636

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 01:41:06 PM »

There is a breeder local to us who produces big bichons but the pedigree and quality is very suspect.  Not that that is of much use to you as we are in the UK.
Our Bengy is big and came to us from rescue.  It might be worth looking at your local bichon rescue?
Good luck
Pam

How big is your Bengy? They are all very cute.
I've already done the rescue thing but this time I'm looking for a puppy, which is why I am hunting down a breeder. Never had a puppy before. He's going to be so stinking cute. yahoo
southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 02:11:28 PM »

I notice that the Bichon Frise Club of America warns prospective buyers against breeders who claim to have "toy" bichons. Perhaps the thought is that a small bichon has an exceptional chance of being unhealthy. I wonder whether the same would apply to a breeder seeking to produce an exceptionally big bichon.

I hope you can get a puppy you like!
southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 06:57:22 PM »

Sherry, I'm curious. Why are you looking for a puppy as opposed to another rescue?
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 05:58:26 AM »

Bengy weights in at 28lbs. He is twice the size of my breed standard Pepe. All dog and no fat - ribs are clearly defined and the vet is very happy with him and his weight.  Came to us as a 7 month old puppy having had 3 homes.  A nicer dog you could not wish to meet bless him.  And many people love him because he is a 'proper dog' not a toy.
Good luck
Pam

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 10:00:25 AM »

Pam, was Bengy a behavior problem as a puppy? (Three homes is a lot!). Congrats on how healthy and nice he is! The picture of him has always made me think of him as a very active pup.
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 12:27:06 PM »

No Craig.He was handed in by a family where he wasn't macho enough for the man. They later got a German Shepherd cross I believe. Then he had a transit home before being placed by the rescue with a family local to us. We did the home check and they ticked all the right boxes. But we did the check with Pepe - breed standard and, if I say so myself, very beautiful. Despite having seen the pictures of Bengy and travelling miles to get him, they didn't like him. He was noisy and had a couple of accidents in the house. Well he had been uprooted twice and they didn't want him after 2 days, not giving him any time to settle. And of course he looked awful - quite scalped. So we were asked to remove him from the home. We thought he needed time to settle after being so mucked about. And 11+ years later he is still here.
Pam

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 02:36:05 PM »

Bengy is very lucky. I guess a lot of people don't think through what they are looking for in a dog and what they're willing to tolerate. 
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 04:34:03 PM »

No Craig - we are lucky not Bengy  Wub.  He has been a great addition to our family.
Pam

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 06:48:40 PM »

Pam,

let's compromise . . . all of you are very lucky, both Bengy to have found such a loving family, and you to have a dog you love and who gives so much to your lives.
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »

Good question:  why do you want a larger bichon?

Any responsible breeder is going to be working for the betterment of the breed, and staying close to the standard.  By looking for a rescue, you will be looking at bichons who may not have been well bred, so there may be health issues; but that is the only time I can think you will find a larger one.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
sherry20636

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 09:18:57 PM »

Good question:  why do you want a larger bichon?

Any responsible breeder is going to be working for the betterment of the breed, and staying close to the standard.  By looking for a rescue, you will be looking at bichons who may not have been well bred, so there may be health issues; but that is the only time I can think you will find a larger one.

Actually, staying close to breed standard is not, by definition, working for the the betterment of the breed rather it is breeding based on appearances.

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 10:04:07 PM »

looks like the system didn't distinguish between Sandie's posting and Sherry's. I would suggest, Sherry, that there is really not a difference between the breed standard and appearance; if you look at the breed standard, most of it is concerned with appearance.
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 08:42:41 AM »

True that working to breed standard is based on appearance and not necessarily for the betterment of the breed.

Reputable breeders also factor in personality, and other things.  And they carefully consider each potential owner, to match up the owner's personality and lifestyle with the proper pup.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: