Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 20, 2019, 04:46:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie... really want a bichon!  (Read 2295 times)
fenric

« on: April 06, 2016, 06:41:45 AM »

hi everyone, I'm Craig and I am getting my first dog soon (ish) well, I had a guide dog for a little while but it didn't quite work out.
Looking for a Bichon and some help and advice on finding a reputable seller and general ideas about manner of behaviour, appetite and exercise.
Love the look of bichons so I'm hoping this site will prove a valuable research tool and maybe make some interesting new friends while I am at it
cheers
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »

Hi Craig,
This first thing you need to know:  the Bichon is THE highest maintenance breed there is.  They have hair not fur, it grow continuously.  You must brush daily or the hair will mat.  They are white so they get dirty quickly.  They need to be at the groomer's regularly, about every 6 to 8 weeks.  If you can afford all that time and the groomer's costs, then you can continue to learn more on this breed.  Around here, grooming a bichon is $85.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:14:37 PM »

Hi Craig. Bichons have a general temperament tendency, but each doc has its own personality, so you have to take that into consideration. If you are sung it as a service dog, that could work with a bichon, especially if you need it for anxiety issues, because they generally do make great constant companions who adore their people (again, speaking in general- each is unique- just like people).

I would say find a breeder who is local to you that will temperament test the dog and let you interact with it multiple times to make sure it's what you need. They are pretty energetic for the three years or so, then tend to be more 'adult'.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I might also mention that my mother recently got a shih tzu because it is similar to a bichon but with a few less of the bichon drawbacks. I don't know that much about that breed, though.

susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »

Just to add, they have little bladders so housebreaking can be more difficult...... They are a true velcro dog so they are not a dog that you can leave alone for hours.   Also, like some small breeds special care has to be taken for their teeth, for some it's a genetic issue, so add tooth brushing to the grooming regimen.  
Another frequent breeding genetic problem in this breed which can cause pain and future arthritis is luxating patellas. Finding a good breeder can lessen that risk.

Having said all this the breed really touches your heart.......unbelievably loving.
As to appetite compared to other breeds they eat a small amount.  Also, just a normal amount of exercise needed.
As to behavior for the most part they are very smart, mostly happy go lucky, outgoing and friendly, and loving family member.  There are always exceptions, (I happen to have a shy bichon) so, here again breeding for temperament is important. 
They do have a mind of their own as they are smart, so obedience, they'll think about it..... lol  

Temperament wise if true to the breed Bichons can be a great first dog..... But Maintenance wise........
Hi Craig,
This first thing you need to know:  the Bichon is THE highest maintenance breed there is.  They have hair not fur, it grow continuously.  You must brush daily or the hair will mat.  They are white so they get dirty quickly.  They need to be at the groomer's regularly, about every 6 to 8 weeks.  If you can afford all that time and the groomer's costs, then you can continue to learn more on this breed.  Around here, grooming a bichon is $85.

what Sandie says is spot on.......

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 02:04:04 PM »

Hi, Craig, I'm another Craig. Bichons often make great pets. But I have refrained from acquiring one; the preceding posters have set forth a lot of my concerns. I just don't know whether I'm up to all of the work required.  Perhaps one day after I'm retired, I'll say "yes."

One place you can learn more about acquiring and caring for a bichon is the Bichon Club of America's web site or the bichon usa web site. There's lots of information available there as well as here.

Good luck, no matter what you decide!
fenric

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:33:24 PM »

thanks everyone, food for thought there, I'm based in England btw if any breeders are looking here!
southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 05:38:56 PM »

can you believe it? This site puts "bijons" on the list of lowest-maintenance dogs!

http://weluvpuppies.com/12-most-low-maintenance-dog-breeds/12/
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »

Mariana

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 09:17:53 PM »

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 11:11:32 PM »

Thanks, Mariana -- that's a great post.  For what it's worth, I think that a lot of owners here also have the groomer do the nails, and certainly I would.

I can't see owning a bichon until I am retired -- the dogs need so much, especially as puppies. Thanks for detailing what you find you need to do with Bee. I hope that you and she progress well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: