Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 22, 2019, 07:15:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie bichon parents here!  (Read 5159 times)
Mariana

« on: March 21, 2016, 12:06:25 AM »

fluffnewhere

Hi all,

My husband and I got our first bichon in January. Little Bee, has been with us for two months now. It has been fun and very challenging too. Who knew that a little fluff ball could change your life so much Laugh Hysterical?!!!

I hope to get to know many of you, even if through the internet only. I will be bugging you all for help and advice  with our  bichon puppy.

-Mariana
Mariana

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 12:33:40 AM »

I forgot to add pictures of our little Bee  loveword2:

Thank you all!!! Thank You
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:49:29 AM »

Welcome! Yes, bichons are like babies in the way they change your life. They are pretty great though!! Bichon puppies can be challenging, but it gets better.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 01:55:58 PM »

Hello Mariana and Little Bee!   fluffwelcome

I'm Sandie.  I have taken the liberty of resizing your 2 photos, so we can see them better.

I live in Massachusetts,  U.S.A. with my flock of rescue fluffs you see in my siggy.  Where are you located?

There is a wealth of info here, so poke around!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 06:17:23 PM »

Helllooooo Bee (and Mariana)
Aren't you a pretty bichon!  I'm Pam from Northern England, owned by Pepe, Poppy and Bengy Bichons.  Puppies are delicious and there is loads of info on the forum. Enjoy
Pam

susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 12:34:12 PM »

Hello Mariana and Bee
Bee is a such a cutie!  I'm Susie and I live outside Philadelphia and am owned by Olivia...... We are velcroed together......
Lots of helpful info on this site. 

Mariana

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »

Hi Sandie, Susie & Pam

We are in Portland, OR. Unfortunately, for our little Bee, it rains a lot and she hates the rain.  fluff fluff fluff

Thank you so much for the welcome!
susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »

Nothing cuter than a Bichon cocking their head, except maybe a Bichon wave, or a bichon buzz (blitz).  Soooo cute.....

Mariana

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 05:38:58 PM »

What is a bichon wave & blitz? I never heard of it....my gosh I am such a novice...
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 06:02:19 PM »

Blitz:  the fluff goes crazy racing around, up on sofa, chairs, and down, under table, running in figure 8's and in circles and then just . . . stops.  The blitz comes out of nowhere, nothing triggers it, and it stops.  Burst of energy just waiting to get out.  Very comical!  Lots of youtube vids on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=migVqiQ93XI

Similarly, many youtube vids of the wave.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP6DFl1IS5g

and here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAZMh7G07BA

Bichons either do the wave, or they don't.  You can't teach it to them.  You CAN put it to command.  Of my 11 bichons, my puppy mill rescue Tasha is the ONLY one who has done the wave.  It requires strong back muscles!

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 06:07:06 PM »

Mariana,  I'm sure you will find this as you poke around here on the forum.  But I thought I'd make sure you know about the

BICHON INFORMATION STATION!

http://bichonfriseusa.com/

The top is a lot of medical issues.  Just scroll down.  Section on puppies, behavior, finding a groomer, lots of good info on that site!

susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 06:18:20 PM »

Here is JR who won Westminster in 2001 doing the bichon wave....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av6IwDf4xdM

The Blitz...... You'll know it when you see it......Kinda looks like something short circuited in their brain and they suddenly get this look and take off speedily running back and forth many times with great abandon till they collapse in a heap, or in my Olivia's case drops a load.... LOL  It's memorable

Mariana

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 06:20:34 PM »

Sandie the videos are awesome  fluff fluff fluff fluff (I really like this emoticon). Way too cute. My little bee woke up from her nap when she heard your babies barking in the video Smiley
Mariana

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 06:23:44 PM »

Sandie, Bailey Bee has been doing something funny when we go on walks...all of sudden she runs back and forth while on the leash...we were perplexed and did not know what she was trying to communicate. I wonder if this is a blitz beginning...We though she was thirsty or just being her naughty overexcited self.
southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 11:47:25 PM »

Perhaps Bee is saying, "I'm just a puppy . . . . I'm not used to walking on a leash and so I don't know exactly how to act . . . could you teach me? (if you reward me when I'm walking at your side, that will help me know to stay by you). . . our lives together will be so much better if you do. . . and I am excited to be with you because you pay attention to me and you love me."
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 09:22:47 AM »

Glad you enjoyed the vids.  Yep sometimes MINE will perk up listening to themselves, ha haa.

Hard to say about that back and forth.  My gal Riley does something similar right before she poops.  Doesn't matter if she is on or off leash.  Sometimes you just have to observe and learn what they are trying to 'say.'  Remember, in Dogdom, t :fluffnewhere:e primary form of communication is body language!

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »

Bee is very cute.Welcome to the group.Abby is nearly 10 and still hates the rain.She looks out the window and will only ask for a walk on a sunny day.She will refuse to go if she sees rain.

Alison

lucca

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 09:39:39 AM »

Hi all.   I'm from Northern England too.   My Ella is a Bichon Bolognese and is 3 years old.  When she was a puppy I do not think I could have coped without the advice and chat on this site.  I recognise the description of the "Lead Dash".  She actually runs round in circles at break neck speed and I also think that is part of the "Bichon Blitz".  She is very happy when doing it and manages not to bump in to anything. Like a lot of others she HATES the rain - I must say I agree with her. 
Mariana

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 04:42:55 PM »

Hi Southjerseycraig:

She is actually an awesome walker and is currently doing great on a loose leash. She just does this back and forth sometimes and so I was wondering if it was part of the blitz. Nevertheless, thank you for the input.
southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 05:06:24 PM »

She's an awesome walker! That's quite a credit to you and to her! Good luck!
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 10:31:22 AM »

My Ella is a Bichon Bolognese and is 3 years old.  
Of topic I know but Wheeee!  Didn't know there was another Bolognese on the forums.  Our Poppy is a bolo.
Pam
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:29:30 PM by pam » Logged

Mariana

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 05:14:27 PM »

Hi all.   I'm from Northern England too.   My Ella is a Bichon Bolognese and is 3 years old.  When she was a puppy I do not think I could have coped without the advice and chat on this site.  I recognise the description of the "Lead Dash".  She actually runs round in circles at break neck speed and I also think that is part of the "Bichon Blitz".  She is very happy when doing it and manages not to bump in to anything. Like a lot of others she HATES the rain - I must say I agree with her. 

I do too. Unfortunately we cant move, at least for now. When we were in Florida in February Bee was the happiest girl we have ever seen. Portland is definitively not great, during the winter, in her estimation. hehehe
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: