Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 19, 2019, 02:54:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first Bichon  (Read 11959 times)
dodgediva2

« on: January 18, 2016, 05:47:25 PM »

Hello everyone. I always had Poodles and when I lost my mom's Poodle that I inherited, I went looking at rescues for another. I found Hemi at a rescue in Tampa. He was advertised as a Poodle mix and was shaved down to the tip of his tail. When I brought him home and started grooming him as his fur grew I noticed he was not like any Poodle I had ever seen or groomed. I started looking around on the internet and low and behold, I had a Bichon! I didn't think my husband was impressed until he told me, "I am glad he's a Bichon. I love his personality." And personality is his middle name. I have never laughed so hard at a dog. He's funny and he knows it. He's so lovable. He cuddles and sleeps in the bed with us. I read as much as I could find about Bichons and I guess he's pretty typical. Of course they say they are not loyal and that's why they're easily rehomed but Hemi seems so attached to us. He's especially attached to me. I love him so much. Thanks for having us.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:18:25 PM »

fluffwelcome  Hi there Hemi,  hello Hemi's HuMom. 

So glad you found this forum.  There is a TON of info on here so be sure to poke around.

I'm Sandie, I live in Mass.  My bichons are rescues, I have 3 females and 2 males.  Bichons sure do work their way into our hearts!  I have NEVER heard that they are not loyal!

So glad you included pictures!!!!  Driving already, eh Hemi?  And I see you live with a tan ?? and 2 black and tans!  I'm sure you have made it clear to them that you are not 'dog' you are human and da rules don't apply to you ha ha haa.

Any idea how old Hemi may be?  He looks young in that first photo!

My are:
Willy age 13
Tasha age 12
Riley age 10
Belle age 7
Frankie age 15 months

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 01:10:35 AM »

I am so happy for you all!  Once you meet a Bichon you love a Bichon!  Personality plus is saying it mildly!
The only problem with having one, is you need two!   :-)
-hugs
dodgediva2

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »

Sandie, We think he's 2 years old. He looks young. They advertised him as 2 to 3 years but hubby and I think 2 years max. I'm so happy to see you have more than a couple dogs. I don't feel so bad. LOL
Our big boys (Turbo and Nitro) are rescues from the Tampa pound. They are dobie/shepherd mixes and litter mates. They are 5 and we got them when they were 7 and 10 months. The little tan girl (our only girl) is what we believe to be a Chug (Chihuahua/Pug) and our vet agrees. She is also a rescue. I got Hemi for selfish reasons but he and the Chug (Perro) are great buddies and play all the time. She's a little older (8 - 9 ish). She's starting to look a little better in the girth since we got Hemi as she gets more exercise now. Hemi gets a little possessive of me and I have to correct him but he's easy to spoil. He's also hard to correct when he's being funny. My bad. He has learned to come when he's called but only if he's paying attention. We're still working on that. We just got him in September and already he's learned to go potty outside, sit, sit up, give you his paw and do a circle. He's a smart little rascal.
Mary, My husband would divorce me if I got another dog. LOL However, he does love Hemi a lot more than I thought he would. But like he said, you can't NOT like him. He's just that kind of dog that everyone loves.
 Boy Bichon

dodgediva2

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »

Sorry, my name is Cathi and my husband is Don.

MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 11:53:17 AM »

hee hee Cathi, I bet Don would not turn one away.  Like he said, you cannot help but like them!   I'm glad you take in rescues too.  (big hug)
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 08:59:56 PM »

Quote from: dodgediva2 link=topic=23971.msg335190#msg335190 date=1453207495

They are 5 and we got them when they were 7 and 10 months.
[/quote

Um, how can they be littermates if they were born 3 months apart?   Laughing

That is the pug in Perro, need to watch the weight all the time with that breed.  So wonderful she enjoys playing with the  Pacifier Hemi!  Good for both of them.

And with Turbo and Nitro, seems you do have a full house, lol.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
dodgediva2

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 12:04:11 PM »

Sandie, It's actually a pretty amazing story about Turbo and Nitro. Turbo was abandoned in a house with no food or water. They just packed up and left him. Being he's very vocal, the neighbors heard him crying and called animal control. They took him to the Tampa pound and a gal that worked there called Manatee Doberman rescue to come "rescue" him. Apparently Dobermans and Shepherds get put on the "list" so there was no time to lose. Manatee Doberman put him up for adoption when he was about 7 months. I found him on petfinder. He was so skinny. We adopted him and started to fatten him up when our vet said he needed entropion surgery. After the surgery the carprofen almost killed him. Then as he was recovering, I decided to find him a buddy his own size because my mom's Poodle was at her wits end with him. I found Nitro on petfinder and saw he was Turbo's twin almost and at the same Tampa pound. I went up and got him and took him to my vet and said, "Doesn't he look just like Turbo?" and he said he and his staff are convinced they are litter mates and Nitro had to have the entropion surgery, too. Like Turbo, the carprofen almost killed him. So about $6,000 later we were trying to fatten then back up and repair our broken hearts. Now they are happy and healthy.

bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »

fluffwelcome Cathi, Don, Nitro and gang!  original 
Hemi's story is almost identical as Bullett's. He was labeled a Poodle/Schnauzer mix, shaved & the 2-3 year old age given.  Vet said he was really 3-4 or older & probably older.  When he grew out & personality came through I found a Bichon (possibly mixed) who does the pogo jump like you mentioned in another post and runs faster than a speeding bullet - thus his name.  The bichon 'blitz' is definitely there EVERY time he gets excited & that personality is what makes each day so enjoyable.  So glad you have given Hemi and the others a great home.  Nitro & Turbo probably would not be here now without your care.  What a story they have!
Kay

dodgediva2

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 03:59:32 PM »

Thank you, Kay. I didn't mean for Sandie to think I was that stupid. We rescued Turbo and Nitro 3 months apart. They weren't born three months apart. LOL
I'm so happy for your little Bullett. Heck I'm happy for ANY dog that finds a home but especially these little Bichons. They are like furry little people. I'm also happy to know about "blitzing". What an appropriate term. Hemi does that, too, and I laugh 'til I cry. He throws those little ears back and he's off!
Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm glad to know other people that are just as crazy about dogs as I am.  original fluff

MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 04:46:25 PM »

Ditto on the any dog finding a good home.  Or animals, period!   :-)
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »

He's so lovely.I'm glad he found a lovely home with you.Welcome to the group

Alison

dodgediva2

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 04:08:15 PM »

Thank you Alison! He's a family favorite already. My sister is even showing people pics of him and she has dogs of her own. LOL He's so adorable.

dodgediva2

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 12:09:43 PM »

It's been a while since I posted. I found out the reason Hemi is so tall is because he's a Poochon. I'm completely in love with him and I'm convinced he is part human as well. We've had him a year now and I really think he was meant to be with me.

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 04:25:45 PM »

Congratulations! Was he a rescue?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: