Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 24, 2019, 06:55:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad Day for Pup  (Read 5319 times)
Schnoppy
Jacque Pupsteau-Explorer
ENTHUSIAST

Bichon-Frise.ca

« on: December 13, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »

Poor ole' Perfesser.  He had a bad doggie day.   fluffrain

1. Big dignitaries are in town and they (again) cordoned off our street and made it a  lock-down zone. The bomb sniffing dog and their cars are on our block too. During walkies Schnoppy innocently (on the sidewalk) looks at a Fed doggie car and their blackened-out windows. I don't see anything, but the fierce Belgian Malinois are probably in there? Innocent Perfesser just wants to say hello. A blonde, FED-type gal  mobster with darkened glasses tells Schnoppy to "move on." Plus told Schnoppy he would "lose in a fight".   scared  Come on' yo!  We live on the block!

2. We gave Der Perfesser a bath last evening and discovered a mongo tick. He must have picked it up in Central Park?  And this is a complete surprise as Central Park is a highly developed, urbanized park jammed packed with tourists, horse carriages and hot dog weiner vendors. There are the occasional black squirrels and rat(s) scurrying in the bushes.  He goes to the vet on Monday to get a prophylaxis.  No   He also has a scab on his head as we pried off the tick which was the size of an unhulled sunflower seed.  Yuck.  OMG

3. Schnoppy's only Holiday Season doggie party got canceled late last night. It was a holiday season Park Avenue get together with posh doggies. Gifties/pressies and holiday doggie bubbles drinks - no more.  wine 

Sometimes doggies have bad days. 

Der Human and his little son

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 01:17:33 PM »

Oh no, Schnoppy! That does qualify as a lousy day. What is the doggie equivalent of a glass of wine and a movie??!! It's been my experience with Darwin and the kids, that those big ticks are not the dangerous ticks- they are dog ticks? I don't know- I'm certainly no expert. Darwin had one a few years ago and did not not prophylaxis. My daughter (the one with health issues) got one imbedded in her chest a few years ago and we did prophylaxis her, though. This was most likely not necessary, but she has chronic heart issues so we didn't risk it. Again, though, we were told that it's the little ticks that are more likely to carry Lymes.

Keep us posted and here's hoping today is a better day!

Schnoppy
Jacque Pupsteau-Explorer
ENTHUSIAST

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 04:45:06 PM »

Oh no, Schnoppy! That does qualify as a lousy day. What is the doggie equivalent of a glass of wine and a movie??!! It's been my experience with Darwin and the kids, that those big ticks are not the dangerous ticks- they are dog ticks? I don't know- I'm certainly no expert. Darwin had one a few years ago and did not not prophylaxis. My daughter (the one with health issues) got one imbedded in her chest a few years ago and we did prophylaxis her, though. This was most likely not necessary, but she has chronic heart issues so we didn't risk it. Again, though, we were told that it's the little ticks that are more likely to carry Lymes.

Keep us posted and here's hoping today is a better day!

Hi Chris,

Schnoppy said "thenk you" for your kind sentiments. And thank you for the advice.  His mom just took him to a blessing of the animals in a local church here on Park Ave.  He wore his new Santa Red harness.  santa Hopefully he gets some puppy-upper time, and the equivalent of "glass of wine and a movie."   Hopefully mom will take some pictures of the event.  I heard there were ducks in the pews last year. 

We froze the tick last night with hope of the vet being able to identify the species. The hard part about the ID is that the tick was engorged to the point where I couldn't discern any species-distinctive characteristics.  We do hope it is nothing but a dog tick too. 

And bummer your daughter had a tick attached to her.  I bet the antibiotics weren't fun.  Ticks are such a nuisance. If I had a blowtorch..... blowup 

Best

Der Human

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:28:01 PM »

Oh dear.  Sounds like a sad day all round.  But the church blessing sounds lovely.  We do look forwards to some piccies.
My little blossoms have had their small share of ticks over the years.  Fortunately they don't seem to have done any damage.  (Poor Bengy had one on his willy!) I have a friend who is a hill runner going through rough heather and the like and she is regularly covered (slight exaggeration but it still seems gross to me).  Hate the little pests.
Hope Schnoppy is well
Pam

bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:57:52 PM »

"MOVE ON"??????   Where do they expect you to walk Der Perfesser  if not on your block!  I imagine the traffic was blocked as well so you couldn't drive to a nice tick infested park!    Laughing  Sounds like he did have a bad day.  We live in heavily tick populated country down here so I have to check them very often.  I think the ticks are becoming immune to the spot treatment products since they don't work very well.  One good thing about having white dogs is you can see them a little better.

Hope he gets a good check up at the Vets and maybe a nice outing somewhere to make up for yesterday. 

Kay

Schnoppy
Jacque Pupsteau-Explorer
ENTHUSIAST

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 07:09:47 PM »

Hi Pam and Kay,

Thank you. And it's very interesting to note tick encounters. Whilst traveling through the UK/Scotland/Ireland...nary a tick encountered -  but then again I didn't have dog who runs through the heather.  Crying  And ouch regarding a tick on the nether regions. Poor Bengy.  sad    Also, very interesting fact related to pesticide tolerance in the local population of ticks. They are some kind of survivor. 

The good news is that the Holiday Season doggie party is back on.....the wife is still at the event!  Hooray.   This will make up for yesterday's bad news and the rude lady federal agent. I think she was auditioning (to her male agent pals) for the role of Robo babe.  hidden

Take it easy,

Ken - Der Human

Schnoppy
Jacque Pupsteau-Explorer
ENTHUSIAST

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 08:19:56 PM »

Quick report - no piccies.  However, Der Perfesser had a great time with his pals. And you know its a grand doggie party when there is a fight on the premises + the guests throw up from too much food!   :fluff cake:  Plus, there was a lovely little terrier who teased all the boys.  :web:

Thanks everyone.

Cheers

Der Human

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 09:33:21 PM »

Hey Schnoppy, I am glad to learn that your holiday pup pawty was held and that you were able to attend.  Makes up for that grumpy Fed lady!

Yes, mine have had scabs where the tick head was; guess I am not getting it all out, so the immune system has to deal with it. 

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Schnoppy
Jacque Pupsteau-Explorer
ENTHUSIAST

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 09:51:48 PM »

Hey Schnoppy, I am glad to learn that your holiday pup pawty was held and that you were able to attend.  Makes up for that grumpy Fed lady!

Yes, mine have had scabs where the tick head was; guess I am not getting it all out, so the immune system has to deal with it. 

Hi Sandie,

Schnoppy sez "Thenk You." And he will be giving me a point-by-point description of his party soon.  Sadly, I could not attend his "Bark Avenue" party as I have end of year reports...... but his party seemed to have the male debauchery a typical Wall St. party would have.  I will say he came back a bit subdued as you can only party so hard.   :atman:

Cheers,

His Dad - Ken

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 12:18:24 AM »

Too funny about the party! Not unlike human children's parties...

Also, I agree with Kay about the spot treatments. We gave up on them entirely since Darwin go both fleas AND ticks while on them. None of either since we switched to the oral med.

Schnoppy
Jacque Pupsteau-Explorer
ENTHUSIAST

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 10:32:45 AM »

Cheers Chris - Schnoppy's fun event was not unlike children's parties too.   Ice Cream 2

On a tick note - the vet also didn't think the frozen tick looked like a deer tick - but was unsure given its engorged state. They took a blood sample and we'll be waiting to see if Der Perfesser has a highly antigen/antibody count in a few weeks. If that's the case he goes to the next step - meds. Also, the vet had a recommendation on a inexpensive collar which can be worn around the neck which is more effective than the Fipronel-applied stuff.  We'll have more info. on that......

Cheers,     

Ken  - pup dad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: