Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 18, 2019, 04:36:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A New Brother for Der Perfesser?  (Read 12247 times)
Schnoppy
Jacque Pupsteau-Explorer
ENTHUSIAST

Bichon-Frise.ca

« on: October 26, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »

We had thought about a new companion for Schnoppy since the time he had Ruby Zavlaskaya (hamster) for a prolonged sleepover, plus his prolonged doggie downer episode:  http://bichon.ca/forum/index.php/topic,23595.0.html

While perusing Petfinder we came across a little guy (1 year old) in Conn. and fostered by a nice lady via Bichon Club of America.  We go and visit the little guy this Thursday.  I hope the two get along.  Just wanted to say we're excited, but seeing how things go.  rock

Schnoppy
Jacque Pupsteau-Explorer
ENTHUSIAST

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »

Schnoppy's desire to play with the hamster was pretty sad. But cute at the same time. Always surprised at what these little guys do.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 08:14:53 PM »

Oh my how exciting for all of you!  I do wish you all the best, hope this works out.

Keep in mind 2 males in the house can result in marking.  Of course, Frankie is intact so his marking is crazy.  I had almost succeeded in stopping Willy marking when I brought Frankie home.  What with this little pipsqueak* marking in HIS territory, Willy just HAD to join in.  Both boys are in belly bands at all times when in the house now.

*Willy weighs 19.5 pounds, Frankie is 10 pounds soaking wet!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Schnoppy
Jacque Pupsteau-Explorer
ENTHUSIAST

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »

Oh my how exciting for all of you!  I do wish you all the best, hope this works out.

Keep in mind 2 males in the house can result in marking.  Of course, Frankie is intact so his marking is crazy.  I had almost succeeded in stopping Willy marking when I brought Frankie home.  What with this little pipsqueak* marking in HIS territory, Willy just HAD to join in.  Both boys are in belly bands at all times when in the house now.

*Willy weighs 19.5 pounds, Frankie is 10 pounds soaking wet!

Hi Sandie,

Thanks for the heads-up Sandie. Much appreciated.  I had never thought about this aspect. Schnoppy has his pee/wee pad areas in both residences. Is this same thing?  I also think its very funny that both boys have to wear a belly bands.  no   I am hoping that this guy as a youngster will take a lead from Der Perfesser who has wisdom and some very good traits to teach/share.  Then again, young un's are always a little nutz.  clown

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 09:49:14 AM »

Peeing and Marking are 2 different things.  Frankie knows the difference; he will tell me when he has to go out.  Peeing is emptying the bladder.  Marking is instinctual, males mark territory in the wild to attract females and warn off other males.  It is a squirt-squirt and done.

Marking starts when the dog enters puberty, so if neutered before then, the dog won't be a marker.  Once the dog starts marking, it is almost impossible to stop the habit.  I'm told Frankie will mark for at least 2 months post neutering (in another year, when he is age 1 years) as it takes that long for the hormones to leave their system.  Then, I can TRY to break him of the habit.  Before he is neutered, I need to let him know this is NOT allowed, but I was told be aware he can't stop doing this while he is intact.

Hope this clarifies.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 09:52:11 AM »

I try to keep da boyz in matching bands, lol.  These pics were taken one day when they were both in red.  Riley thinks it is hilarious that they have to wear bands and she does not!

Schnoppy
Jacque Pupsteau-Explorer
ENTHUSIAST

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »

I try to keep da boyz in matching bands, lol.  These pics were taken one day when they were both in red.  Riley thinks it is hilarious that they have to wear bands and she does not!

Hi Sandie,

Thanks for the clarification re: emptying and marking. The little guy was neutered in June so I imagine the marking bit will not be an issue.  And I love the photos of the 'Belly Band Brother."  It's hilarious!!! clapping And Riley's expression is priceless.  yahoo

bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 09:25:13 PM »

Hope the meeting goes well and they are interested in each other.  I had Bullett 5 1/2 yrs before getting Coco and other than a little jealousy and Bullett pulling rank on Coco, they get along great. They have marking fests outdoors only & neither have attempted to do so indoors.  Bullett was neutered a few months before I got him so around 3 yrs old.  I believe Coco had his surgery at a young age since all his Vet records show neutered.

Good luck!
K

Schnoppy
Jacque Pupsteau-Explorer
ENTHUSIAST

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 12:01:02 PM »

Hi Sandie and Kay,

We met with the very informative/kind foster mom and her flock of fluffs.  fluff  Schnoppy and his possible mate played, walked and interacted for a good amount of time. Both asserting the goofy dominance bit of humping each other.

We discovered the prospective pup's energy and puppiness (1 year old) could be a negative regarding play and Schnoppy's "at-risk" eyes.  The little guy's favorite activity was chomping at ears and beards - constantly.  Often times a little too close to Schnoppy's eyes and given Schnoppy's extreme patience  - a possibility of injury in the future.  We liked the little guy a lot - but chose conservatism.  At the end of the day we learned a lot, appreciated the foster mom and her dedication to rescuing Bichons. And a new appreciation for how just how hard Schnoppy tries to be a patient and understanding.  I love my little son.  loveword2:

I thank you for your advice and we will keep our eyes and ears open for a possible playmate.

Cheers,

Ken

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 10:41:28 AM »

I'm glad you met a nice, informative foster parent! 

And oh my gosh, puppy energy, since Frankie arrived Aug 31, my entire routine revolves around getting him tired!  The first week he was here, the flock all played together.  By the middle of the second week, I noticed they each take a turn playing with him, one on one.  They sorted this out all by themselves!  Amazing!  Well, at ages 7, 10, 11 and 12 years, a 1 year old is a bit much haa haa.  Belle has put Frankie in his place twice now.  She grabs his neck and pins him to the ground, all play STOPS.  Does not seem to faze him one bit, silly goof!  Anyway once all 4 of them are tired, he comes to ME for play.  As always, one thing I LOVE about having so many is seeing all the personalities and interactions. 

Yep, may need to reconsider the age of the new family member.  Of course, then there are bichons like Willy.  Came to me at age 8 years.  Folks kept telling me bichons calm down around age 5; ok so what's with this boy?  Then they told me, "well, soon he will calm down."   Then it was 'wait till he is age 10 years."  Willy FINALLY slowed down at 11.5 years.  WHEW!  So you still have the individual to deal with, but at least getting one a bit older than 'puppy' will increase the odds of the energy level being what all of you can handle, haa haaa.

bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 06:43:27 PM »

Sandie,  Your Willy and my Bullett should have been brothers!  Would love to see the two together as I believe they would be a challenge for each other!   Laughing

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 05:07:39 PM »

Stick Out Tongue

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 02:13:43 PM »