Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 17, 2019, 04:53:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which harness does your Bichon use?  (Read 3469 times)
Suzy83
*Property Of Lily*
NOVICE

« on: July 21, 2015, 07:49:15 PM »

Hi everyone original I was just wondering which type and brand of harness your Bichon uses?

Our Lily currently uses a very simple one, which fits...but it doesn't offer her any support. It's quite flimsy and if I pull on the lead (or when she pulls on the lead), it has a tendency to dig into her throat and/or armpits.

We've gone to several pet shops in the area, but we always seem to run into the same problem. A harness will fit around her neck, but then it's too large around her chest. Even adjustable ones don't seem to fit her well around her chest area. I don't know if that's a Bichon thing? I just really want something that will be supportive for her body, but soft and comfortable at the same time.

Any tips?

Chesters Mom

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:41:07 PM »

Chester had the same problems finding a harness that would fit him.  I stumbled across a web site that had the perfect solution.  Check out Dachshund Delights.  They specialize in products for Dachshunds,  but their harnesses work for any breed.  All you need to do is measure around your dog's neck and girth.  The harnesses are custom made to your dog's measurements. They have a ton of fabric choices.  Chester's harness fits him perfectly.  And he hasn't been able to back out of it!  He was able to escape from his old harness in the past.  The web site is dachshunddelights.com and the harness is called Hug-A-Dog Harness.
susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 12:28:15 AM »

I also had an issue with my previous harness digging into Olivia's armpits.  I bought a Puppia Dog Mesh Harness "Vest Soft" in Extra Large.... I bought Extra Large since this Puppia style seems to run small and my Olivia is 17 pounds.  This vest is adorable and very soft --- very easy to put on and take off since I don't have to pull it over her head.  It wraps around the chest and shoulders and not the neck so, no pulling on the neck area at all.   It has big armholes so no cutting into her..... There is a drawback that you have to be conscious of---  If the dog is facing you and you try to pull
him towards you, the dog can slip out of this vest just like slipping out of a shirt. .  It happened to me once.  Aside from that she is extremely comfortable in this vest.   The vest is  on Amazon...

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 05:51:32 PM »

I use Puppias.Secure,pretty and comfy.Abby is 12 pounds and fits a medium

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 12:05:36 PM »

. Even adjustable ones don't seem to fit her well around her chest area. I don't know if that's a Bichon thing?
Any tips?

Yes, it IS a Bichon thing!  Bichons are deep chested, and this makes it challenging to find things - harness, dress, shirt, winter coat.  Once you do find one, make a note of the brand and size. 

Since my bichons are rescues, I do not use the Puppia harnesses.  These slip over the head, and rescues tend to be afraid of that motion.  I use the step in / two step harnesses.  See here:  https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemain/catalog/productDetail.jsf?area=&sort=RA&wec-appid=PEDM_WEBSHOP_TR&page=72A214C22827430A9795247F1BF064D6&itemKey=005056A633791ED2B5864C1292EBCFB3&show=12&view=grid&wec-locale=en_US

If you have a dog who chews ( and it doesn't have to be the dog wearing the harness, as I've learned!),  Lupine offers this step in harness.  The nice thing about Lupine is that you mail back the chewed one and they send along a brand new one, no charge. 

If you have a dog who is an escape artist (my Tasha was for the first 2.5 years, being a puppy mill rescue EVERYTHING spooked her), the Rope N Go is great.  http://www.ropengo.com/

And if your dog pulls, you may want / need the Easy Walk harness:  http://www.petsafe.net/easywalk  I've not used these, as I have the other 3 above.  I hear these can be difficult to fit.  So take the dog in to PetsMart, PetCo, etc. get assistance to figure out what size you need, then "think about it."  Go home and order online, must less costly.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Suzy83
*Property Of Lily*
NOVICE

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 03:27:25 PM »

Thanks everyone who replied so far! I'm going to look into the suggestions!

susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »

Olivia was afraid of the over the head motion, so my Puppia harness style is the step in.... It also closes over the back with velcro and a click together clasp.....very easy to put on.... not escape proof however especially if you have a pup that freezes in place, so you have to be conscious of that.  I wouldn't buy it unless you can return it in case size is an issue....
http://www.amazon.com/Harness-Soft-Vest-PURPLE-XL/dp/B004SLW9L0

Looks like that Guardian harness Sandie suggested has good control.  It's available as an add on on amazon prime for about $5 so, I may try it myself.
Can that harness be left on during the day?  I don't leave the Puppia on because Olivia unattended because she can eventually work her arm out of it.  
Is the clasp easy to open and close?

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 11:08:57 AM »

Can that harness be left on during the day?  I don't leave the Puppia on because Olivia unattended because she can eventually work her arm out of it. 
Is the clasp easy to open and close?

Yes the clasp is easy for you to open and close.  Almost a 'quick release' sort.  I do not leave them on as my dogs will chew through and I can't afford to keep replacing!  They even chew off one another ha haaa.  TEAM WORK!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: