Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 20, 2019, 04:23:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing Saiorse  (Read 10757 times)
SeoulGal

« on: May 14, 2015, 12:29:26 PM »

Saiorse is a 13-year-old Bichon Frise born on my lap in 2002!  We have been travelling all over the world but are now settled back in the UK. She recently had to have enucleation surgery to have her left eye removed due to advanced glaucoma.  The whole experience has been rather traumatic for her and us.  She has had problems with diarrhoea on and off for quite a long time (2 years) and has always been sensitive anyway. The surgery and antibiotics made things worse. She lost so much weight that she is now only 4.7 kilos and mostly skin and bone.

The diarrhoea finally stopped 2 weeks ago after persevering with her dried food and cooked meat with Perenterol.  I noticed she didn't enjoy her dried food so I switched her from the Hill's Prescription Gastrointestinal diet to the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal food. She also gets some cooked meat (sometimes chicken although she doesn't like it, mostly lean beef, boiled) with some Perenterol sprinkled on top.  This has made a huge difference.  She gets cooked meat once a day now and dry food is available all the time. She doesn't need the Perenterol anymore.

If anybody has any ideas on how to help her put the weight back on then I would welcome any suggestions.  She has also become really clingy and follows me around everywhere. I don't mind this but there are times I need to go out and she then howls and makes an awful racket.  Neighbours have complained!  I don't know how to stop her.  Again, any ideas would be most welcome.

So hello fellow Bichon owners and I look forward to reading your news and advice.

Julie
bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:10:30 AM »

fluffwelcome Julie and Saiorse!  I'm Kay and my two male fluffs are Bullett and Coco.  We are from Arkansas.   Glad to hear you have found a remedy for Saiorse's digestion issues.  I adopted Coco this past December and he was so thin then lost a little more weight right after I got him.  With feeding the proper amount of food and a few healthy treats/day he gained to a proper weight within about 3 months.  His Vet had advised to have him gain slowly.  I would imagine you would need to go slowly as well so her digestion issues doesn't reappear. 

For separation anxiety you might try some of the calming aides on the market.  Some are herbal remedies in treat form and there are those plugins or sprays with pheromones.  If Saiorse doesn't mind being crated you could cover the crate so it is like a safe den for her and place an article of clothing with your scent on it.  Years ago I divorced and took my Lhasa Apso with me.  He never minded me leaving for work in the past probably since there was another dog in the home with him.  We moved into an apartment in a new city until I could purchase a home and he went crazy when I left.  Running laps around the house and up onto all the furniture, knocking everything off  those surfaces then would body slam into the patio glass door.  The longer I was gone the more escalated he became.  I tried all of the things I just mentioned above and nothing worked.  His Vet put him on heavy duty tranquilizers (he could hardly walk across the room) and when I would leave he still escalated to this frantic behavior.  Due to the late shift I worked and not knowing anyone local, there was not an option for doggie daycare.  I had to rehome him with a retired couple.   

Do you have doggie daycare or kennels close to you that you could drop her off to run your errands?  She might get used to being away from you again while having new surroundings and canine/human interaction to keep her mind off you.  Once she is a bit more independent she may be ok to stay alone for short times.  What is her sight like in her remaining eye?  She may be more afraid with diminished sight.  If so the thundershirt might help.  Hope you are able to figure out what she needs. 

Kay

SeoulGal

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:30:36 AM »

Hello Kay, thank you for your kind advice. As of today Saiorse has diarrhoea again!  It's very frustrating.  The only 'change' in her diet was mixing some of her regular dry food in with the meat she gets each evening to try to encourage her to eat a little more.  She did eat it all but...  I will go back to the separate dry and wet food.  Perhaps she just can't manage more than small amounts at any one time.  She's been tested for infections etc. so it's nothing like that.  I am extremely cautious with treats as they immediately give her an upset tummy too.  She always gets one when going to bed and one when we sit and watch TV in the evenings but she's very fussy and if I give her the same thing too many times she just turns her nose up at it!

With regards to the separation anxiety, even leaving her with my husband or another family member has her kicking up a fuss.  It's me she wants. I have resorted to taking her with me on every possible journey but of course I can't leave her in the car unless it's in a park house or the weather is cold enough.  She's fine in the car waiting for me. She settles down and waits.  She's always been a strange little bunny and very insecure.  She's totally unlike her mother, who passed away aged 16 the year before last.  Her remaining eye is good and the vet is keeping a close eye on it (no pun intended) to make sure it doesn't cause any problems. What is 'the thundershirt' you refer to?

We will persevere and hope things improve.  The photo is her a day before her surgery.

Thanks again,
Julie
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 07:18:45 AM »

Hello and welcome.
I am Pam from the north east of England.  My little ones are Pepe aged 14, Poppy Bolognese aged 13 and my baby Bengy who is 10.  I wonder if separation anxiety can get worse as bichons age?  My Pepe would happily be left for a while when he was younger but it is now much more of a problem.  We just manage it as best we can I am afraid.  There is some very useful advice on threads under behaviour that you might find of benefit.
Good luck.
Pam

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 04:39:46 PM »

Welcome to the group

Saiorse is very lovely.I live in Wales with 9 year old Abby.

It sounds like you are having a very hard time.I hope things improve soon.Alison

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »

Hello and Welcome.

I'm Sandie; I live in Massachusetts with  my rescued fluffs.

I really don't have any suggestions, seems you are researching, reading and trying different things.  The Rescue Remedy may help.  Keep us updated!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
SeoulGal

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 06:12:21 AM »

Thank you all for your kind support.  I hadn't thought of Rescue Remedy.  It worked for me during exams so I shall give it a go.  She is able to eat slightly more now each day but I have to be so careful.  If I give her a slightly larger portion it immediately causes diarrhoea again.  But so far, so good!
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 11:18:40 AM »

Welcome To Bichon.ca Julie!  Glad you found our little corner of the WWW.
I Love word the photo of Saiorse fluff-girl .... she's lovely Wub

My name is Del and I'm the personal handmaid of .
We live in sunny Singapore, where it's summer all year round .

....She may be more afraid with diminished sight.
That was my immediate thought.
The Thundershirt that Kay mentioned is this... http://www.thundershirt.co.uk/

I hope things continue to improve for Saiorse fluff.
Please continue to post so we may get to know you & Saiorse fluff.

SeoulGal

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 11:49:26 AM »

Thank you Del.  I shall check out the Thundershirt and keep everyone posted. Smiley
SeoulGal

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 12:17:41 PM »

Quick update on Saiorse...I now have her on puppy food!  Quite by accident actually. She stole my daughter's dog's food when we weren't looking. She didn't get ill and so I thought I'd give it a go. One week on she's loving it and has had no diarrhoea! Not only that but I've now increased her meals to 3 a day in the hope she might actually put on some weight. Fingers crossed! Smiley
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 04:28:25 PM »

Well isn't THAT interesting!  Lucky you found something.  All paws crossed this works.

One thing:  if I remember right, puppy food is higher in protein than adult food.  The extra protein 'may' put a strain on her older kidneys.  Make sure she drinks water / fluid to help the kidneys do their job.  Oh wait, that could mean diarrhea again.

thinking

SeoulGal

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 08:55:44 AM »

Thanks Smiley  She does drink plenty of water so I can only hope her kidneys cope.  To be honest, she's old and so emaciated that it's worth the price. She loves this new food and actually looks forward to her meals 3 times a day now. That's a first in a very, very long time! She's happy so I'm happy!
Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »

Welcome Julie and Saiorse! (what a cutie you are) Wub

I'm Terri and Belle is my nearly 10 year old. (next month)

SeoulGal

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 07:55:33 AM »

Hi everyone, I am finally able to give an update on Saiorse. Sadly she passed away in August. It turns out she had cancer which is why none of the remedies worked long term. She lost more than half of her body weight and in the end we had to have her put to sleep. She didn't suffer and was happy and eating well until the end. The day she stopped eating and was clearly starting to suffer we took the vet's advice and made the difficult decision to end it for her.
Thank you all for your support.
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 02:00:12 AM »

Poor little thing- and poor you. I'm so sorry that this happened to both of you.

bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 09:02:25 AM »

So sorry for your loss, Julie.  No wonder she became so clingy all of a sudden.  My heart goes out to you and your family especially after losing her Mom not so long ago. 

comfort

Kay 

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »

Oh I am so sad reading this news.  You know you did everything for her, and she knows that, as well.  Sending you hugs.

SeoulGal

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 07:44:10 PM »

Thank you all for being so kind.
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 06:45:45 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news.She was lucky to have you looking after her so well and making her last days easier.Alison

SeoulGal

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 07:29:49 AM »

Thank you!
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 07:24:52 AM »

Julie, I'm so sorry sad for your loss.... Saiorse fluffangel is now an angel at Rainbow Bridge

SeoulGal

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 09:14:17 AM »

Thank you!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: