Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 17, 2019, 12:03:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Pal For Milo ...  (Read 12375 times)
bichondad
Ridgewood, NJ

« on: April 06, 2015, 02:01:37 PM »

We have been so happy with Milo, and he is such a great doggie (especially with our kids and other dogs).  yahoo  Just the best temperament.  We want another bichon -- and are prepared to put in the time to raise two.  In the past I always raised two dogs at a time, usually about 1 year apart in age.  Based on the way Milo behaves with other similarly sized dogs in the neighborhood, We think Milo would love the company.  Our preference would be to rescue another bichon puppy ... but in these parts those opportunities are rare.  I have been watching local rescue groups for many months now and whenever the opportunity arises, someone else beats us to the punch.  Any ideas folks?  I know many of you have multiple bichons at home (gotta be because it is great all around). I suppose we would consider another breed (say miniature poodle), but our hearts and minds are set on a bichon.  Short of buying a puppy (a dicey proposition unless you are willing to fork over $2K+ to a reputable breeder) we continue to hope one shows up at a rescue.  TIA,  George

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 04:55:01 PM »

I'm sure Sandie will be along to advise soon.She is brilliant with rescues.

We sometimes think Abby would like a friend,but when we have her brother or my sons dogs to stay she makes it clear how happy she is as an only dog when they go home.Abby does lives with 4 cats though and sees them as the same as her,I'm sure.

Alison

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 06:08:47 PM »

I'm sure Sandie will be along to advise soon.

And here I am!  Ha ha haaa

Most of mine came from Small Paws Rescue.  They are among the largest of breed rescues and bichon rescues.  There are several other rescues which are breed specific for the bichon.

I picked up 3 of my bichons from craiglist:  Riley, Tony-pup, and Belle.  Tony was the only one with issues; and the prior owner did advise me, I just wasn't listening well that day.

Bichons occasionally land at one of our local shelters, they are always adopted out quickly.

I don't recall where you are located; you don't have your city and state appearing under your avatar.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
bichondad
Ridgewood, NJ

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 09:54:35 PM »

In Northern NJ Sandie --

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:59:21 PM »

Do you use Facebook?  If so, join the group:  Bichons Rock.  They just had posted a 5 y o female who needed a new home as Owner died.  In less than an hour they had 20 prospects, not taking any more.

So join that group and then just watch the posts.  May not be anything for months, then 2 or 3 pop up in a row.  Odd how that happens!

Just one more option for you, along with craigslist for your area.

bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 11:35:59 AM »

George,  It took me over 2 yrs to find a match for Bullett and myself.   I set up a favorites file with every animal shelter and rescue organization within about 300 miles from me.  Included were Petfinder, Adopt a Pet ,Oodle, Ebay Classifieds (Kijiji) and of course Small Paws Rescue where Coco came from. I searched all of the sites most days.  If you are looking for a puppy, you might get on a waiting list with a reputable  breeder.  They may charge a lot more but if they really are a good breeder you may be paying less overtime for health issues.  Coco is full Bichon Frise.  In his 9 yrs he had to have 2 operations on his knee,  one on his privates plus he had poor teeth and is missing several already and his eyes protrude a bit too far so he has constant eye irritation.  His previous owner was out big bucks with him.  Just keep looking and you will eventually find what you are looking for. 
Good luck,
Kay

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 11:15:45 PM »

New litter in central VA, 3 boys, 3 girls.  No idea if any are available or already taken per wait list.  Can put you in contact if interested.  On Facebook.

bichondad
Ridgewood, NJ

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 04:24:57 PM »

Yeesh ... Sorry it took me so long to see this post Sandie.  Sure.  Put me in touch although I am sure they are taken.  We keep missing out on new adoptions.  Just lost the third puppy we applied for. The adoptee changed her mind.   sad Any additional tips greatly appreciated.  Thanks. George

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »

Ha haa, I don't even remember which litter that was!  April???!  No clue which one.

Do go on Facebook, and join that group, Bichons Rock.  

I don't know where you are applying for these puppies, but it sounds like you may be dealing with brokers, not breeders?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:50:11 PM by Freedom (Sandie) » Logged

bichondad
Ridgewood, NJ

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 04:44:45 PM »

Thanks Sandie.  I will do just that.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 09:08:10 AM »

Glenda Blue, a responsible breeder in FLA, has an 8 month old boy for adoption.  Saw this on Facebook. 

bichondad
Ridgewood, NJ

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 09:24:04 AM »

Thanks for the tip Sandie.  Sent her an email on Facebook. 

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »

Great!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: