Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 17, 2019, 03:33:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eyelashes curling into eye  (Read 3570 times)
bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« on: February 28, 2015, 10:51:38 PM »

Coco is VERY curly and his upper eyelashes curl into his eye.  I've thought about clipping them off but as they grow out it would make things worse. It would be stiff/sharp hairs poking his eyes.  I've been trimming the hair away from the eyes and leaving the eyelashes in hopes that it will eventually get long enough to touch beneath the eye rather than in the eye.  Now new ones are growing in so it's looking like this is going to be an ongoing battle.  Any suggestions?   

Kay

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »

Eye lashes are the bane of my and Willy's existence!   Willy has chronic dry eye.  Having any irritant immediately makes things worse.  I must keep his lashes short so they do not bother the eyes.

Willy prefers to turn his head and see what I am doing.

Put these 2 things together, and you end up with many cuts to my hands and fingers.  Early on, I did cut Willy a few times, but then my local groomer (who sees them monthly for nail trims) showed me how to make sure I do not cut the dogs.  She has recently suggested I wear a fireman's glove on my 'holding' hand, lol.

Lashes in the eye can lead to ulcers and other eye ailments.  I think most folks will post that you have to trim them.  But let's wait to see what others say!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »

I've always trimmed any hair , including lashes, that touch Missy's eyes.  She is very good and holds very still.  Sookie has tear stains and runny eyes and her hair is always in her eyes.  She doesn't seem to have a problem with me cutting around her eyes or constantly cleaning them so I'm thankful for that, at least. 

Thanks Del
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »

If they are growing inwards the vet may need to remove them to prevent damage to the eye .Its called Trichiasis.I'd get it checked to see what needs to be done .Alison

bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 09:07:09 PM »

Thank you, Ladies!  He will be nine yr old this Friday and so far has not had any kind of treatments to his eyes.  They tear quite a bit and the Vet said that was mostly because  his eyes protrude more than average.  I did have her look at his eyes specifically to see why they tear so much and I suspected he doesn't see all that well.   I just don't know what his former owner did to keep the eyelashes out of his eyes.   I looked up Trichiasis and some of the pics look sort of like  Coco's.  His grow out straight then curl under when they get about 1/4" long.   Every time he comes near me I smooth them back.  Guess I'll have to figure out how to trim them close and hope for the best.  Sometimes a person needs 3 hands.  Two to hold and one to clip!   Laughing

Kay 

Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 02:54:56 PM »

Somewhat related story today.  I was fixing Sookie's topknot to keep the hair from her eyes.  I usually do it from the back.  After I finished I turned her around and her eyes looked so big.  I had pulled it too tight and she looked like she had a face lift.   Laughing  I redid it enough so that she could blink again.   thumbsup

Thanks Del
bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 08:54:16 PM »

Susan,  I wear my hair in a high ponytail during the summer and do the same thing!!!!  Laugh Hysterical  On purpose!!!!!

I had a Lhasa Apso that I would do the top knot on so that I could grow his hair out like a show dog.  Got his a bit tight at time too.  Easy to do.

K

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: