Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 22, 2019, 07:42:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tarter Problem  (Read 5889 times)
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« on: February 06, 2015, 09:36:02 PM »

Does anyone use a waterpik on their furbabies?  If so do they help the tarter build up?
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 10:49:54 PM »

No, but I use a spin brush (battery powered). Never sure if it helps much, though. It makes the process faster is all. I'm curious to see other responses.

MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 10:55:42 PM »

Thank you Chris.  I love your Darwin!   
I hope there is something that really works and keeps my Mia out of the vet's office!
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:54:13 AM »

Bichons in general have poor dentition.  We can only do so much.

With a waterpik, I would worry about the dog drowning.  They don't know to close the throat while using that, so I do not recommend using it.

Chewing on raw beef bones, raw sweet potato, raw apple, these help clean the teeth naturally.

And you can brush; I don't, but many folks do.  With 4 dogs and 7 cats, I'd spend an entire DAY capturing and brushing, just not on my agenda.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 03:17:14 PM »

Oh my!  I didnt even think about them not knowing to close their throats off.   Thank you for that.  Well my baby is so timid that to take her in for cleanings would traumatize her so much.  We do the carrots and apples and such, but her back teeth have tartered anyway.  Her sister, my Maltese shih tzu mix, has white teeth and yet got a gum problem and has to have surgery this month, so that is what sent me on a hizzy to try to keep my Mia from going thru this.  Thank you for your replies and help. 

I have lost my big boy last June, and have rescued a Brussels Griffon now..   So I have 3 again, and love them all so so so much!  But I have to say, if I were just going to pick my choice, BICHON'S RULE!!!!!!
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 12:09:10 PM »

We used to use a product called Plaque Off.  You rub it in the teeth and gums which then made cleaning easier - or so they say.  I am afraid that I think there is a bit of luck in bichon teeth - all of mine are fed the same food, get the same treats - bully sticks, dried tripe, carrots etc, use the same regime etc.  Yet Pepe at 14+ has nice white teeth that have never caused us any problem.  Poppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!  She had to have lots of teeth removed years ago now due to decay etc.  Bengy had problems with 1 tooth and an abscess but the rest are pearly white and very strong.
Good luck anyway
pam

MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 04:11:42 PM »

Thank you for replying, Pam.  I love all of your furbabies.   They are beautiful!
Is it a foolish thought to think that maybe tartered teeth wont cause her problems?  Can I hope that?  I have just about made myself sick over this all.  I didnt think anything of it till now.  Between the new rescue and my Daisy we are tapped out, but my Mia is probably looking at a teeth cleaning next year, unless she starts letting me brush them, or something.  I will check out that Plaque Off that you mentioned. 
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 04:13:32 PM »

*Freedom Sandie, I dont think I told you how adorable I think your furbabies are.   I do!  I think they are beautiful too!
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 04:14:39 PM »

Do you all use something to get those snow white faces?  Mia's has cleared a lot but not snow white like you alls!
Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 01:33:49 PM »

Missy has terrible teeth but I have found a regime that works wonders for her.  Last month I had two different vets tell me how good her teeth look.  She gets a spoon full of Plaque Off with her lunch.   After dinner, I brush her teeth with my own homemade toothpaste consisting of coconut oil, baking soda and Petzlife oral gel. 

When Sookie came here 5 weeks ago, her breath was horrendous.  She is now on the same regime as Missy and I am hoping it works for her plaque.  Her breath has already improved.  I hate to have her undergo a dental cleaning so soon since she is high strung and still adapting to her new environment.  She doesn't like having her teeth brushed but is learning that it is part of daily life here.   nodding

Thanks Del
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »

And your baby (s) are beautful too.  Again snow white mouths!

Ok, I am ordering that plaque off.   Anything to help ease what they have to go thru is worth it. 
Thank you so much!
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 01:47:56 PM »

Is this the right one?

http://www.amazon.com/Proden-PlaqueOff-Dental-Care-Dogs/dp/B0047VWPNI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1423500403&sr=1-1&keywords=plaque+off+for+dogs
Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 01:50:48 PM »

yes

Thanks Del
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 02:02:48 PM »

What about this?   http://www.healthymouth.com/dog_ESSENTIAL_Value_Jug_p/d008.htm  Again, thank you so much for helping.

The Veterinarian suggests using this  source.  Do you know of it?  http://vohc.org/accepted_products.htm
MaryB
NOVICE

Mia & Mimi

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »

Hey, Susan, my Mia is a Texan too!  :-)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: