Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 22, 2019, 06:28:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knotty Nora!!!!  (Read 7114 times)
Audra

« on: January 03, 2015, 03:18:41 PM »

Hi everyone, Happy New Year to you all

We are nearly at the end of Lokis first season, thankfully, and I'm so glad we only have to do this once!!!!

Anyway, I brush Loki everyday with a slicker brush.....she is really starting to go curly now (she's now 8 months) and I have noticed that her front legs especially, are getting quite knotty as the brush is catching as I brush her, not overly bad, but enough that I noticed it. Whilst I was brushing her today we came across a HUGE knot on her leg  OMG so big that it in fact was matted!!! If you had of seen it you would have thought to yourself,  there's no way she brushes that dog everyday!!! That's how big it was, I was mortified!!......

Is this something that is going to be a regular occurrence?  Or perhaps it's where she is starting to get real curly?  Also is there something else I should be doing or using, and what products should  I be prepared with in case it happens again?

Audra  U.K.

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 05:38:46 PM »

I think that you will find it is the change in fur from puppy to adult. Extra vigilance is needed at this time - I was totally ignorant when Pepe was a puppy and he ended up shaved like a poodle due to knots.  The embarrassment!
good luck
pam

Audra

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 08:54:08 PM »

Ah, thank you Pam, that didn't even occur to me!! After I posted I found another one at the tip of her ear!! Took me 20 mons to get it out!!

I forgot to mention that when I brush her, I brush in the direction of the fur for her comfort, but then in the opposite direction to make sure I do it properly. .......and still this happened. ......oh the shame lol

Thank you, I will make sure I brush and comb!!   ashamed

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 10:59:33 AM »

IMO it happens now and then with this breed.  Cowboy Magic helps to get the knots undone.  As I have rescues, I just cut the knots out.

We have not seen photos in ages! 

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Audra

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 11:28:39 AM »

Thank you Sandie, I  will Google the Cowboy Magic.......and you are not having photos of my negligence  LOL!

I will post an up to date one though,  she has changed so much, which one of you so helpful lovely lot told me at the beginning when people wwe questioning if she was actually a Bichon!!

I found a couple on my phone for you xx

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 01:46:31 PM »

These matts are part of the age as the adult hair grows in and the soft baby hair disappears. Those of us that had puppies probably have all experienced the knots even when we think we are doing a great job.  ashamed my puppies were close in age so I was going through it for some time yet Luigi and Lia did not have the same type of coat. Luigi had a very thick coat so the problem with him was I was not combing deep enough. You have to get right down to the skin, not just brush the surface, you need to part the hair in sections and comb each section. Lia had fine fluffy hair, I never thought her hair would thicken up so her fine little fluffy knots would matt close to her skin and she is very much the drama queen and she would squeal in pain as if I were killing her! She hates for her back end to be touched and tucks her tail and legs tight so you can't brush her without force. It became such an unpleasant experience for all of us it was better to send her to the groomer and have her cut really short, then when she came home I was able to comb her daily until it started to get too long again. Watch for where the harnesses or clothing sits under the arms as knots form ther too. Cowboy Magic works great on individual knots and also as an all over de tangled before brushing. Remember, the important thing is to comb with a wide tooth metal comb as well as a slicker brush to give that cute the fluffy look.

Thank you Alison!
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 01:49:31 PM »

I agree cowboy Magic is amazing.You can get it oon Amazon if you can't find it locally.

I only use a slicker to run over the top and finish off.Its a comb that does the work like Lin said It gets down to the skin and finds any knots staring.The slicker will just go over the surface.

Alison

Audra

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 03:29:26 PM »

Ah thank you Alison and Lin.....back off to the shops I go wink1 I was thinking a comb as well,  and Lin I had noticed that under her arms has been getting really knotty.

Found the cowboy magic on Amazon I don't think I would have got it from any of the pet shops around where I live.....I've been in most of them  LOL!  and not seen it before.

Thank you what would I do without you  clapping xx

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 03:39:18 PM »

Aw,just saw the pic she's so cute

Audra

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 03:37:52 PM »

Awe thank you Alison,  she has not had a good time with her first season  Crying her vulva was HUGE  OMG  HUGE .....even the vet said  OMG and she had licked herself cleaning so much she made it sting when she went for a wee  plaster so she had to have an injection, she's having antibiotic eye drops for her tear stains and antibiotic eardrops as she keeps scratching her ears  plaster poor Loki.....she's in good spirits though,  still playing and wanting my attention even more so at the moment, I'm presuming it's all down to the being in season!!

I will be glad when she's curly though,  although I now have to find a new groomer, as I told her not to cut any of the fur around Lokis nose.....and she did!!! Mad And she didn't pluck her ears properly either  thumbdown

Audra x

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »

Ah bless - poor little one.
I use a silicone (?sp) comb to get to the bottom of the fur.  Bought mine from friend of bichon rescue who are unfortunately not trading now but they must be readily available.
Good luck
pam

Audra

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 08:48:27 PM »

Thank you Pam......I have had a look, funnily enough, I am a nail technician and I can get silicone combs from the wholesalers  thumbup

Thank you, I will get one xx

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 01:56:24 PM »

Okay, that is something new for me. What is a silicone comb? A comb that has silicone teeth?

Thank you Alison!
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 03:18:36 PM »

Thank you for the pics!   kewlpics  She is a sweetie!  And driving already?   Laughing

I came back because today is spa day here, and I just remembered this statement:

when I brush her, I brush in the direction of the fur for her comfort, but then in the opposite direction to make sure I do it properly.

Likely you know this breed has hair, not fur.  Fur grows out of the skin in one direction.  HAIR grows straight up, so there is no 'direction of the"  coat for these dogs.  Think about your own hair.  Maybe you brush from your forehead back over the crown of your head.  When it is wet, perhaps you bend over and brush it forward as you dry it.   None of this hurts.  Brushing fur in the wrong direction is uncomfortable at best and for some breeds does hurt.

Just wanted to clarify that for you as I take a break from grooming!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Audra

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 02:21:40 PM »

Oh Sandie thank you.....no I did not know that!! Omg I hope I haven't been hurting her.....I do tend to do it when she's relaxed and sitting on my lap, she generally then falls asleep, so I don't think I have......I sometimes also stand her on the draining board next to my sink and do it there too,  which is why I thought it might be uncomfortable as she doesn't really stand still and let me do it...I give her a quick brush whilst I'm cleaning her eyes.

And Lin basically,  yes, it's a comb that you could buy from any chemist for your own hair, they tend to have teeth wider at one end then closer together at the other end and are anti static

Audra x

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: