Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 19, 2019, 06:31:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missy and I filled out adoption papers  (Read 16256 times)
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »

Sounds like she's bonding already.It is hard work,but seeing them become the dog /cat they always wanted to be is so rewarding

Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 08:14:53 PM »

So glad that you are seeing some progress.  Some dogs seem to have issues with their paws being touched.  Oscar will lay on my lap or next to me until I decide to move and brushing his head or back is all fine but if I get the comb or brush near his paws he becomes a whole different dog and will actually snap at the brush and/or me if I keep trying.    The groomer hasn't had issues so not sure what that is all about.  I would stick with the spots she likes for now and away from her feet.  Maybe work on her back and sides if you are trying to get to her belly and see how that goes.   If she's like Oscar (but not Max) she needs exercise to go potty.  A nice family walk or a walk with daddy might be in order to get things moving (so to speak). 

Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 09:02:28 PM »

Well the four of us just got together for Missy's daily grooming session including tooth brushing.  I at least got the toothbrush on Sookie's front teeth and a bit on the side - not a good brushing but a start.

I also found it easier to see her tummy and could see a couple of the stitches still in place.  They said her vet follow ups are complete but I'll have to check to see if the stitches get removed.  Missy's spay was with glue .  If after this week, it seems as though we will be keeping her, I'll schedule a visit with Missy's vet to be sure that they didn't overlook finding or telling me about any other health problems.

Thanks Del
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 10:28:12 PM »

Hi Susan, just returned to this thread.

Good job Ted, getting the leash on Sookie!  That is a huge step.

Reading what little is known of her background, I suspect you have a puppy mill rescue on your hands.  Even if not, this article may help you, Susan.
http://www.smallpawsrescue.org/newsletters/images/rehab.html

As you know, my Tasha is a mill rescue.  She was age 4 years 10 months when she left that life.  She has lived with me 5 years, and I have groomed her myself the last 3 to 4 years.  To this day, it is almost impossible to work on Tasha's rear legs.  She immediately pulls them up tight and squeezes her butt.  This is from rough treatment during the artificial insemination (so I've been told).   Touching her feet, even her front feet, was all but impossible for the first 2 years.

Having Missy present is a BIG positive, as this scared girl will eventually start watching Missy for cues as to what is OK and what is not.  For Tasha it took about 2 months and then one day she stopped and cocked her head (that wonderful head tilt!) as she listened, really LISTENED, to the sounds the dogs were making while we were playing on my bed.  And she realized they were not making scared sounds!  That was a huge huge turning point.

Only you can decide if you want to work with Sookie and help her learn to trust SOME humans.

Oh, those could be dis-solvable stitches you are looking at, considering how scared this puppa is. 

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2015, 02:36:42 PM »

It sounds like you've done very well.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2015, 03:35:18 PM »

Yes, her FM thought I was pushing it yesterday when I said that I brushed her teeth but I think it's best to start out as you mean to go on with everything.  Actually she didn't seem to mind at all though I only did her front outside teeth.  I also put her on the grooming table after every trip outside to wipe her paws.  At first she wouldn't let me near her back paws but now she does, though not like Missy yet, who raises her back feet like a little horse getting new shoes. 

I've been ordering calming stuff (doesn't look like we will need it now but good to have on hand), a new step in harness since it is hard to get the Roman style over her topknot,  hair bands for bows and a double leash coupler, though I think it will be quite a while before we use that.  Laughing

Thanks Del
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2015, 03:38:30 PM »

Sounds like she's staying then?

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2015, 03:40:59 PM »

Sounds like she's staying then?

What a difference a day makes.   Laughing

Thanks Del
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »

It just dawned on me that not everyone sees Missy's FB page.  Here is her morning status update:  fluffcurtsy

The Fluff Fairy must have come last night. She must have sprinkled some magic fairy dust on my new sister or else she took her and replaced her with an exact replica but with a different personality.

That scared fluff is gone so we have given her a new name to match her new personality. She is Sookie and the first thing she did this morning was lick my mom's hand. She then went outside and did potty and since she was hungry, I got some breakfast too. I'm a bit suspicious that I didn't get the same thing but my mom said that Sookie needs to gain weight and I don't.

My mom was worried because she couldn't sit all day and hold Sookie but, surprise, surprise, she put her down in a pet bed next to her and she got very cozy. We still have a leash on her all the time but don't think we are going to need that since she follows my mom around like a shadow,

Yes, it had to be the work of the fluff fairy.
  fluffyes

Thanks Del
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2015, 05:35:39 PM »

Super to read that - thank you for letting us know things are going
Pam

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2015, 05:39:48 PM »

Great news!! I hope you didn't spend too much on the calming stuff as I've never seen it work, at least not with darwin. We had some success with the thunder shirt, but none of he otc pills and sprays. Anyway, I'm glad she's feeling safe and responding well!

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »

Thanks  Everybody

I was wondering why she peed on the rug right next to the potty pad a couple of days ago.  It hit me when picking up the unused pads that I had put them upside down  Doh  with the vinyl up and the pre-scented side against the rug.

Missy has never used a potty pad but I bought a pack years ago to have on hand in case she got sick.  I just opened them without reading and was too tired to pay much attention to what I was doing.  

We are still taking them outside separately and Sookie and I came back inside while Missy and Ted were still on their walk.  I fixed their two little dishes with a spoon of pumpkin and figured I would give Sookie hers first, plus I could add more high calorie treats on top that I didn't want Missy to have.  When I put her dish down,instead of eating it, she just gave me a confused look and looked at Missy's dish still on the counter.  I got the impression that she wanted to wait for Missy so we did and they both gobbled up their treat at the same time.

I am astonished at how these two interact.  I knew that Missy was generous but it seems as though her little sister is looking out for her too.

I just got an inexpensive bottle of calming chewable tablets.  It may help before a car ride to the vet's office.  

Thanks Del
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2015, 10:57:39 AM »

I am so happy to read these updates!

Now she sounds more like Belle who arrived here Aug 10th and needed 3 to 4 days to calm down to the upheaval.  I suspect that these breeds get so bonded to their humans (they ARE companion bred, remember) that it really upsets them to have a bond with a person break. 

That pic of her in the bed is very cute. 

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 11:00:13 AM »

Sandie,
I was just thinking about you.  I wonder if they minimized her medical history.   I am going to schedule an appt. with Missy's vet tomorrow.  One of his special interests is teeth and Sookie has the most horrible breath.  How does it usually work with getting records transferred from current vet ?  Do the vet offices call or does the rescue agency or can I.  I know where she was spayed. 

Thanks Del
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2015, 12:27:35 PM »

So nice to here that things have settled down and Sookie is starting to feel at home.  So cute that she wanted to wait for Missy to eat her breakfast.  I agree with you on the issue of starting as you mean to go on. 

When we got Oscar I think our got the records from the vet the rescue used - I don't recall having to do anything.  Maybe tell your vet in advance the name of the vet that did the spay etc. and they can try to get the records.  There don't seem to be the privacy issues involved in getting human records.

Can't wait for the next update.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: