Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 16, 2019, 09:56:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missy and I filled out adoption papers  (Read 16248 times)
Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 06:13:15 PM »

Would toys tempt her? 

Not at all - she is completely oblivious to them.  On a positive note, like Missy, she is not a bit destructive either.  Missy's toys are good as new.

Thanks Del
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »

Max isn't a toy guy either but food/treats of any kind will get his attention.  High value treats may help win Noel over - that and time which I'm sure is hard.  Patience.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 06:29:49 PM »

She did let me scratch her ear a bit but I don't want to spook her again so I'm taking it slowly.  The name will change.  Noel doesn't trip off my tongue and I keep saying Nicole.  Since she has only had the name a few weeks, it's easy enough to change.

I'm thinking Sukey (or Sookie) or possibly Sweetie.  I like two syllables that have the long e sound at the end.

Missy is being so good (no surprise there) and trying to take the lead.  The music room has French doors onto the foyer and I left the two alone there and got sidetracked with something.  Missy starting to bark for me and when I went to let her out, she kept looking back at Noel, who had no intentions of going anywhere.  fluffno

Noel is very catlike which does suit me since that is where most of experience lies, however,unlike Alison, I have never had a feral cat.   I think both get startled by each other.  Missy is naturally cautious and Noel is just scared.  Noel doesn't scratch much but she does shake.   Missy was sitting next to her the last time she gave a good shake and Missy jumped.  It's usually the reverse.

Thanks Del
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 09:32:47 PM »

Sounds like there is progress happening, slow and steady.

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 10:58:59 PM »

I have been following your story but since I have no experience with adoption I have nothing to offer except best wishes. I do hope Noel settles soon and realizes what a wonderful home she could have if she just cooperates.
Give her time and as someone said as long as she is safe and eating and drinking she will be fine  I'm sure she will come round.
Do you have any background info on her as to why she is so skittish?

Thank you Alison!
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 11:28:16 PM »

No Lin, her background is unknown.  She was rescued from the dog pound, apparently.  The person who rescued her only had her a couple of days before handing her over to her foster mom who got her just before Thanksgiving.  So I don't know if she is a puppy mill dog or what.  She must have been mistreated by someone though.  Her foster mom said that the only person that she didn't seem to like was the fm's mother.  She actually growled at her so she thought she must remind her of someone nasty.

Thanks Del
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 09:13:21 AM »

Poor thing.  comfort
It sounds like she will need a lot of time, consistency, patients and love to come to trust you all. Having said that, I'm sure you can do it!
Are you able to sit on the floor Susan? If so, it may help if you could sit on the floor a few times a day with high value treats in hand. Encouraging her to come to you with no expectations may help with the trust factor.
Wishing you luck, please keep us posted.

Thank you Alison!
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »

I've spent so much time on the floor yesterday that my butt is sore.   Laughing   She just woke up (6AM) with two little howls so I got up, dressed and went in to her.  Square one!  I just don't know that we will be able to do this.  It's a good thing that the organization makes it is a foster to adopt agreement for two weeks.  I'm not going to force a match and how am I ever going to groom her if I can't even pull her onto my lap.  sad

Thanks Del
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »

I don't have experience with adoptions or fostering or dogs much in general, frankly, but I do have experience with an anxious dog.

She sounds like she is very anxious and scared. What I would do is make a den for her near where she's hiding. I would use a crate with treats in it, but I'm not sure how you feel about crates. Once she accepts the crate as a safe place (and it has to be a safe place- no one touches her while she's in it), you could gradually move the crate to where you wanted it. But, knowing there is a truly safe place to go seemed to make a big difference with Darwin.

Also, are you talking to her? I remember someone giving me the advice here when Darwin was just a pup that I should say "Darwin good" repeatedly in a calm soothing voice. I've always done that when I see him getting nervous and it seems to help. The last thing is that dogs are really perceptive of your mood. If the whole situation has you nervous and on edge, she may be picking up on that.

If she was good with her previous foster mom, I bet she'll settle with time. It does sound a bit frustrating, though.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2015, 01:35:36 PM »

This morning, I was ready to call it quits with her since I still had not gotten a leash on her and it was a matter of running from one hiding spot to another .  So while I was scratching her ears, I looped my hand behind her collar and she went wild, screaming and thrashing about that I quickly let go.  Missy got scared.  I got scared and we both left the room. 

Ted decided to go give it a try.  He got his hand beneath the collar but he didn't let go, just grabbed her up and held her until she settled.  We put a harness over her coat and he took her and Missy into the backyard to see if she needed to potty.  She didn't but they came in through the garage door and I went to get the leash from Ted, she clung to his legs as though he had become her best friend.

We put her on the grooming table to dry her paws and she wouldn't let me so Ted took over with no problem.  I just held her on my lap (which is where she is right now) until she was comfortable and then we took her coat off and replaced it with a soft dress and harness.  Things are looking up now.   clapping

Thanks Del
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »

Oh good- I'm glad she is settling some!

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »

Her fm said she hid from her too.  I've taken her out into the backyard 3 times this morning and she has not gone potty.  Missy even went out and marked a good spot for her.  nodding  She had a nice lunch and she is back on my lap though she did try to bite me when I picked her up to wipe her paws.  Luckily the leash caught in her mouth. 

She is leashed to my belt and she will either be on my lap or on the non-carpeted floor until she goes potty.  Her fm did say she was housetrained and from how long she held it before, I think she is.  I am looking at the calming chews on Amazon right now and will order a bag.  Anything that may help, I'll try.   Her fm discouraged the use of a crate for her and although we still have Missy's old crates (3 sizes) they have been in the attic since Missy was 2 and caught her tooth on the crate door. 

Thanks Del
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2015, 05:59:42 PM »

It sounds like she is a daddy's girl.  fluffcurtsy Good for Ted in getting you all to the next step.
There is no doubt this little girl is going to be a challenge. I wouldn't blame you if you felt you had to give up, there is only so much some of us can do, but, if you all can manage to keep her the transformation us bound to be astinomical!
Stay positive, it is only day 2 (?) and you have two weeks to decide.
Thanks for the updates.

Thank you Alison!
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2015, 06:30:43 PM »

Aw how adorable,but not surprising from what I know of her,that Missy is trying to help her as are you and Ted.

My son rescued an ex puppy farm dog in April and it was only when we were all away in Oct that she learned laps were wonderful and she sat on us all week.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »

Missy is definitely a "daddy's girl".  This one has been on my lap all day.  I was just sewing some fresh velcro on one of Missy's old raincoats for her while she was on my lap. 

It's funny but this dog that is half starved and so underweight is a picky eater while Missy who has never been hungry a day in her life will eat anything and everything. Rolled Eyes  Missy looks at her leaving food and I can see the question coming from her head "Are you going to eat that?  If not push it over here please". 

She has no trouble with me playing with her topknot but is very sensitive about her paws and sits on her tail.  I would like to see the condition of her stitches but am afraid of sending her into another frenzy since I almost got bitten once today but the leash getting into her mouth saved me.

Thanks Del
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: