Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 24, 2019, 05:54:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missy and I filled out adoption papers  (Read 16287 times)
Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« on: December 30, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »

We saw this sweet Maltipoo girl, Caroline, on FB at a local rescue organization and it just touched my heart.  Over the years, I have thought about a sister for Missy but really do not want to go through the puppy stage. 

Please check out her story  [size=14pt]HERE [/size]   which takes you to an alphabetical listing of the adoptables.  There is only one Caroline and a horrendous before picture along with her story.

My question is regarding this quote:
". . . cleaned me up and shaved me, and Mary fed me lots and lots of food.  She bathed and medicated me to cure my sarcoptic mange.  After a few weeks of this special care, Mary pronounced me well enough to go to my foster home.  "

Is sarcoptic mange something that I should be worried about?   Missy has so many allergies and naturally sensitive skin that the thought of maybe bringing this problem home is scary.  Is a few weeks treatment enough in anyone's experience?   confused

Thanks Del
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »

How exciting!  Caroline is a cutie.  She is 2 years old.  I can't recall how old Missy is?

Sarcoptic mange is treated with weekly baths for 6 weeks.  Treatment does not kill the eggs, so you have to keep treating until all eggs have hatched.  As you likely know from reading on here and on FB, foster homes rarely have just ONE dog.  So the move to the foster home is a good sign that she is now mite free, as any other dogs there would be at risk.  Rescues are always short on funds, and vet care is their biggest expense; they would not take lightly the risk of infecting other dogs and increasing the vet bills. 

Certainly if you are selected you can discuss this with the FM.  Ask how may dogs she has in the home just now, and how Caroline gets on with them.  Does she try to play with them, or leave them be?  You will want to know this anyway to have a good idea of what she will be like with Missy.  Since Caroline is now permitted to sleep in the human bedroom, they feel quite confident that she is cleared of the mange. 

Keep in mind it is possible not all of her hair will grow in, so she may always need a sweater, Tshirt, etc. to protect her bare skin from the sun.  You really can't tell if the hair will be growing back in everywhere or not for a good 4 months, as the treatment is quite harsh on the skin and coat.  Along with the damage the mites caused! 

Caroline is 2 years old and she IS house trained.  She does not seem to know commands, so you will be training her for 'sit,' stay, lie down and so forth.  I think you groom Missy yourself?  Can't recall.  But if you do, see if they have any idea how she is with grooming.  They may not know.  Considering her condition when she was picked up from the shelter, I don't think they've had her to a groomer at all, it has all been vet visits, poor doggie!

Do let us know how this develops! 

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »

Thanks Sandie,  I knew I could count on you to give me good advice.  I'll ask all those questions and more if I get a response from them.  It is harder to adopt than I ever thought.  A few times over the years , a rescue has caught my eye and I have applied and never received a response from various rescue organizations.  One thing I did mention in my application is that I would need Missy to meet the dog in advance.  She will be ten in February and that is a long time being an only child.

Thanks Del
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 10:49:38 PM »

How exciting!!!  You will definitely want Missy to meet Caroline and to see how the each react to the other before making a final decision.  It's hard to really know how things will play out but certainly for us the first meeting told us a lot about whether bringing Oscar into our family.  Max was 7 1/2 when we adopted Oscar and had been an only child his entire life (both in his previous home and with us).  You may recall that Max is not a terribly social fellow.  He doesn't mind other dogs so long as they are not too much in his space but was not one to actively engage in play.  He and Oscar met briefly at the front door of Oscar's foster home and then we immediately went outside and just let them be.  They played immediately.  It was really the most surreal experience as I had never seen Max react like that to another dog.  Often the dogs at the dog park that he likes don't want to play with him for some reason but this was a mutual love fest.  He did growl at Oscar when Max was on my lap and Oscar tried to come up too but Oscar immediately backed off and life was good. 

There relationship took a step back when we brought Oscar to our home.  No fighting or bad vibes but no active playing as there had been in the initial meetings.  Oscar seemed to understand that time was needed and did not bug Max or get in his space despite Max initially being his buddy.  Over time they have found there were to being playmates again.  I think you really just have to give them time to develop their relationship on their own terms.  They now play together quite regularly and it's so fun to watch.  It's been just over 5 months now.  This week I've been off work because of the holidays and have found them both curled up  on the love seat on a couple of occasions.  It's so sweet. 

There are still some adjustments for us in having the two of them and adjusting Oscar to our schedule and ours to Oscar but it's been a worthwhile journey.

Fingers crossed that all goes well with Caroline.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 10:59:33 PM »

Thanks Debbra,   I do remember reading all the updates on Oscar and it does give me hope that a little sister would be a good decision.  I'm just hoping that I get a response.   In one way it's good to know that the agencies take their time, on the other hand, a timely acknowledgement that an application is being considered would certainly be nice.

Thanks Del
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 01:43:09 AM »

Actually, I just finished filling out another adoption application for a little Maltese rescue that I just found was still available though it doesn't say much about her , just that she is house trained and spayed.  Her name is Noel and I'm attaching her picture. 

The only problem that I can see in either application, especially this one, is that one of the first things they ask is the applicant's age.  I know that Small Paws practices age discrimination from years ago when I tried to adopt.  I tried putting in a notation that any fur children that outlive me will have financial provisions made for them but age may disqualify us in which case, if I want a dog, I will need to purchase a puppy.

Thanks Del
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »

They are both adorable and would be very lucky to come home to you.

I hope the rescues don't discriminate about age.Your home is far too good to be passed up for any dog lucky enough to have a chance to live there.

I look forward to hearing how things go.

Alison

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 11:16:48 AM »

a timely acknowledgement that an application is being considered would certainly be nice.

On the 2 rescues sites I dealt with (SPR and Just A Touch), when you submit the app you get a notice that it has gone through. 

I know that Small Paws practices age discrimination from years ago when I tried to adopt.

SPR is focused completely on the dog, not the people.  They want the best for the dog.  So they provide for age 7 and older dogs to be adopted by age 70 and older folks.  They want people who are active enough to keep up with a younger dog -- get it out for walks and play dates.  Most folks 70 and older aren't up to that.

Based on what I have seen here with 10 fluffs passing through this home, a 2 year old and a 10 year old are not going to interact much.  Not because Missy is used to being an only dog, but because she is much much older and doesn't have the energy or interest to keep up with a youngster.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »

Sandie,  I was hoping that the energy of a younger dog would help keep Missy young.  I notice that she seems to sleep more than she used to and sometimes I think that she is just bored.  I am as nervous about this as I was about getting Missy. 

Thanks Del
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 12:40:04 PM »

I have just seen this thread Susan and wanted to wish you the best of luck.  I can't believe Missy is 10!!!!!!!!!!!  My baby Bengy is 10 now.  How time passes.  (Pepe is 14 and Poppy 13 - frightening!)
Don't expect Missy to interact with another dog in the house - mine have always gone their separate ways really.  It will just depend on the dogs I think
Pam

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »

Thanks Pam,  it will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition or not.  Missy really enjoys seeing some particular dogs on her walk.  She is absolutely in love with a male Corgi but the dog she sees the most is a female Maltipoo.  After being in a big hurry to greet her, they sniff around each other a bit and then Missy returns her attention to the Maltipoo's mom so you are probably right in that expecting them to actually play together may be wishful thinking.

Thanks Del
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 09:12:02 AM »

Well we have Noel for a two week trial pre adoption period.  Noel has been a challenge since her foster mom left about 1PM yesterday.   She ran to the windows and doors and then she proceeded to hide under couches, beds, etc.

While the foster mom was here she was a different dog,  Ted and I were both holding her and she was very cozy in our laps.  I should have put a leash on her before the mom left but I had no idea that she would react like that.  I closed her in the bedroom with us last night (under the bed).  At one point, after lights out, she did jump up on the bed, but just walked across it and jumped back down and went back underneath.  I give her treats which she comes close enough to take but she backs up so fast I can't get her.  If I leave the room, she comes out but runs right back under as soon as I come back in.  If I go into the bathroom or closet, she has to run within eyesight to see where I am but then turns and runs back under the bed.  sad 

Her fm offered to come back last evening to see if she could settle her down but I thought the trauma of her leaving again would put us back to square one.  However, since we have not gotten past square one overnight, I am going to ask her to come help me today.  I have got to get this girl leashed to me. 

She is still wearing that nylon coat which she loves and it makes noise when she moves so I know where she is.  Before I closed her in the bedroom, she was running around the rest of the downstairs, from one hiding place to another, coming out to look at us and then run back.  On one of her runs, she did potty in the dining room.  I keep looking to see if she has anywhere else but didn't find anything. 

Missy is completely perplexed by her behavior.  We are keeping Missy to her normal schedule. 

Thanks Del
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 10:41:44 AM »

Aw she's so cute.Once she settles in she'll soon bond to you.I've only had rescue cats so I'm sure Sandie will give you much better advice.

I find with cats they are like that to begin with and slowly come out over a couple of days.Alison

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 03:43:43 PM »

OK, I am going to try to do this on my own without having the fm return and with a little help from my online friends and experts.   Thank You

Sandie mentioned putting her in a more open room and so I have been moving stuff in the music room and have that pretty well set up for her.  The only problem is that it is carpeted but I put a puppy pad over a piece of cardboard and hope she may try that though she hasn't yet.

Missy and I have been sitting in there with her.  It's has windows with a street view and I moved it so she could look out if she chooses.  I did notice that she is taller than Missy standing up on her long back legs.  Her FM said she may have something else other than Maltese mixed in, perhaps Lhasa Apso .  confused

It's one of those ironic twists of life that I wanted a Maltese because they are so tiny and would be easier on us to lift and carry but this girl is terribly thin and weighs 10 pounds.   Rolled Eyes

What I am thinking is that until I can get her on a leash, she will remain in that room.  I tried today to grab onto the back of her coat while I was hand feeding her and she pulled away.  She is very strong and the material is slippery.  After that, she was back under the chair and shaking.  So now, I'm back to ignoring her and hopes that I didn't set us so far back with that move. 

I think I will have to leave her in there by herself overnight.  I put a pet bed (Missy's toy box since she never used it as a bed) in there and a cover on the chair by the window.  Last night she walked behind my desk and the wires to the PC speakers got caught on her coat and she got tangled and pulled one down.  It didn't hit her but probably scared her.

Also, she was recently spayed (she is between 3 and 5 years old) and has fairly fresh stitches though her vet visits and follow up check up are both complete.

Thanks Del
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »

I'm sure this is a strange, wonderful and terrifying experience for you, Missy and Noel.  Although I have only done this once, I think you are right in keeping Missy's routine the same.  You don't want her to be upset or stressed by this process.  I was lucky enough that neither Max or Oscar exhibited stress at coming into our home.  Sandie would be the expert on scared rescues so I would listen to her advice.  If she's been through a lot of recent changes it may take her a few days to trust your house.  I think your first instinct about not bringing the foster mom back was likely right.    If the last place she was left was the vet that my be adding to her concern of what will happen to her at your home.  So long as she's eating and drinking she's not in physical danger so time will allow her to become more secure.    Would toys tempt her? 

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 06:13:15 PM »

Would toys tempt her? 

Not at all - she is completely oblivious to them.  On a positive note, like Missy, she is not a bit destructive either.  Missy's toys are good as new.

Thanks Del
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »

Max isn't a toy guy either but food/treats of any kind will get his attention.  High value treats may help win Noel over - that and time which I'm sure is hard.  Patience.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 06:29:49 PM »

She did let me scratch her ear a bit but I don't want to spook her again so I'm taking it slowly.  The name will change.  Noel doesn't trip off my tongue and I keep saying Nicole.  Since she has only had the name a few weeks, it's easy enough to change.

I'm thinking Sukey (or Sookie) or possibly Sweetie.  I like two syllables that have the long e sound at the end.

Missy is being so good (no surprise there) and trying to take the lead.  The music room has French doors onto the foyer and I left the two alone there and got sidetracked with something.  Missy starting to bark for me and when I went to let her out, she kept looking back at Noel, who had no intentions of going anywhere.  fluffno

Noel is very catlike which does suit me since that is where most of experience lies, however,unlike Alison, I have never had a feral cat.   I think both get startled by each other.  Missy is naturally cautious and Noel is just scared.  Noel doesn't scratch much but she does shake.   Missy was sitting next to her the last time she gave a good shake and Missy jumped.  It's usually the reverse.

Thanks Del
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 09:32:47 PM »

Sounds like there is progress happening, slow and steady.

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 10:58:59 PM »

I have been following your story but since I have no experience with adoption I have nothing to offer except best wishes. I do hope Noel settles soon and realizes what a wonderful home she could have if she just cooperates.
Give her time and as someone said as long as she is safe and eating and drinking she will be fine  I'm sure she will come round.
Do you have any background info on her as to why she is so skittish?

Thank you Alison!
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 11:28:16 PM »

No Lin, her background is unknown.  She was rescued from the dog pound, apparently.  The person who rescued her only had her a couple of days before handing her over to her foster mom who got her just before Thanksgiving.  So I don't know if she is a puppy mill dog or what.  She must have been mistreated by someone though.  Her foster mom said that the only person that she didn't seem to like was the fm's mother.  She actually growled at her so she thought she must remind her of someone nasty.

Thanks Del
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 09:13:21 AM »

Poor thing.  comfort
It sounds like she will need a lot of time, consistency, patients and love to come to trust you all. Having said that, I'm sure you can do it!
Are you able to sit on the floor Susan? If so, it may help if you could sit on the floor a few times a day with high value treats in hand. Encouraging her to come to you with no expectations may help with the trust factor.
Wishing you luck, please keep us posted.

Thank you Alison!
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »

I've spent so much time on the floor yesterday that my butt is sore.   Laughing   She just woke up (6AM) with two little howls so I got up, dressed and went in to her.  Square one!  I just don't know that we will be able to do this.  It's a good thing that the organization makes it is a foster to adopt agreement for two weeks.  I'm not going to force a match and how am I ever going to groom her if I can't even pull her onto my lap.  sad

Thanks Del
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »

I don't have experience with adoptions or fostering or dogs much in general, frankly, but I do have experience with an anxious dog.

She sounds like she is very anxious and scared. What I would do is make a den for her near where she's hiding. I would use a crate with treats in it, but I'm not sure how you feel about crates. Once she accepts the crate as a safe place (and it has to be a safe place- no one touches her while she's in it), you could gradually move the crate to where you wanted it. But, knowing there is a truly safe place to go seemed to make a big difference with Darwin.

Also, are you talking to her? I remember someone giving me the advice here when Darwin was just a pup that I should say "Darwin good" repeatedly in a calm soothing voice. I've always done that when I see him getting nervous and it seems to help. The last thing is that dogs are really perceptive of your mood. If the whole situation has you nervous and on edge, she may be picking up on that.

If she was good with her previous foster mom, I bet she'll settle with time. It does sound a bit frustrating, though.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2015, 01:35:36 PM »

This morning, I was ready to call it quits with her since I still had not gotten a leash on her and it was a matter of running from one hiding spot to another .  So while I was scratching her ears, I looped my hand behind her collar and she went wild, screaming and thrashing about that I quickly let go.  Missy got scared.  I got scared and we both left the room. 

Ted decided to go give it a try.  He got his hand beneath the collar but he didn't let go, just grabbed her up and held her until she settled.  We put a harness over her coat and he took her and Missy into the backyard to see if she needed to potty.  She didn't but they came in through the garage door and I went to get the leash from Ted, she clung to his legs as though he had become her best friend.

We put her on the grooming table to dry her paws and she wouldn't let me so Ted took over with no problem.  I just held her on my lap (which is where she is right now) until she was comfortable and then we took her coat off and replaced it with a soft dress and harness.  Things are looking up now.   clapping

Thanks Del
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »

Oh good- I'm glad she is settling some!

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »

Her fm said she hid from her too.  I've taken her out into the backyard 3 times this morning and she has not gone potty.  Missy even went out and marked a good spot for her.  nodding  She had a nice lunch and she is back on my lap though she did try to bite me when I picked her up to wipe her paws.  Luckily the leash caught in her mouth. 

She is leashed to my belt and she will either be on my lap or on the non-carpeted floor until she goes potty.  Her fm did say she was housetrained and from how long she held it before, I think she is.  I am looking at the calming chews on Amazon right now and will order a bag.  Anything that may help, I'll try.   Her fm discouraged the use of a crate for her and although we still have Missy's old crates (3 sizes) they have been in the attic since Missy was 2 and caught her tooth on the crate door. 

Thanks Del
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2015, 05:59:42 PM »

It sounds like she is a daddy's girl.  fluffcurtsy Good for Ted in getting you all to the next step.
There is no doubt this little girl is going to be a challenge. I wouldn't blame you if you felt you had to give up, there is only so much some of us can do, but, if you all can manage to keep her the transformation us bound to be astinomical!
Stay positive, it is only day 2 (?) and you have two weeks to decide.
Thanks for the updates.

Thank you Alison!
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2015, 06:30:43 PM »

Aw how adorable,but not surprising from what I know of her,that Missy is trying to help her as are you and Ted.

My son rescued an ex puppy farm dog in April and it was only when we were all away in Oct that she learned laps were wonderful and she sat on us all week.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »

Missy is definitely a "daddy's girl".  This one has been on my lap all day.  I was just sewing some fresh velcro on one of Missy's old raincoats for her while she was on my lap. 

It's funny but this dog that is half starved and so underweight is a picky eater while Missy who has never been hungry a day in her life will eat anything and everything. Rolled Eyes  Missy looks at her leaving food and I can see the question coming from her head "Are you going to eat that?  If not push it over here please". 

She has no trouble with me playing with her topknot but is very sensitive about her paws and sits on her tail.  I would like to see the condition of her stitches but am afraid of sending her into another frenzy since I almost got bitten once today but the leash getting into her mouth saved me.

Thanks Del
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »

Sounds like she's bonding already.It is hard work,but seeing them become the dog /cat they always wanted to be is so rewarding

Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 08:14:53 PM »

So glad that you are seeing some progress.  Some dogs seem to have issues with their paws being touched.  Oscar will lay on my lap or next to me until I decide to move and brushing his head or back is all fine but if I get the comb or brush near his paws he becomes a whole different dog and will actually snap at the brush and/or me if I keep trying.    The groomer hasn't had issues so not sure what that is all about.  I would stick with the spots she likes for now and away from her feet.  Maybe work on her back and sides if you are trying to get to her belly and see how that goes.   If she's like Oscar (but not Max) she needs exercise to go potty.  A nice family walk or a walk with daddy might be in order to get things moving (so to speak). 

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 09:02:28 PM »

Well the four of us just got together for Missy's daily grooming session including tooth brushing.  I at least got the toothbrush on Sookie's front teeth and a bit on the side - not a good brushing but a start.

I also found it easier to see her tummy and could see a couple of the stitches still in place.  They said her vet follow ups are complete but I'll have to check to see if the stitches get removed.  Missy's spay was with glue .  If after this week, it seems as though we will be keeping her, I'll schedule a visit with Missy's vet to be sure that they didn't overlook finding or telling me about any other health problems.

Thanks Del
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 10:28:12 PM »

Hi Susan, just returned to this thread.

Good job Ted, getting the leash on Sookie!  That is a huge step.

Reading what little is known of her background, I suspect you have a puppy mill rescue on your hands.  Even if not, this article may help you, Susan.
http://www.smallpawsrescue.org/newsletters/images/rehab.html

As you know, my Tasha is a mill rescue.  She was age 4 years 10 months when she left that life.  She has lived with me 5 years, and I have groomed her myself the last 3 to 4 years.  To this day, it is almost impossible to work on Tasha's rear legs.  She immediately pulls them up tight and squeezes her butt.  This is from rough treatment during the artificial insemination (so I've been told).   Touching her feet, even her front feet, was all but impossible for the first 2 years.

Having Missy present is a BIG positive, as this scared girl will eventually start watching Missy for cues as to what is OK and what is not.  For Tasha it took about 2 months and then one day she stopped and cocked her head (that wonderful head tilt!) as she listened, really LISTENED, to the sounds the dogs were making while we were playing on my bed.  And she realized they were not making scared sounds!  That was a huge huge turning point.

Only you can decide if you want to work with Sookie and help her learn to trust SOME humans.

Oh, those could be dis-solvable stitches you are looking at, considering how scared this puppa is. 

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2015, 02:36:42 PM »

It sounds like you've done very well.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2015, 03:35:18 PM »

Yes, her FM thought I was pushing it yesterday when I said that I brushed her teeth but I think it's best to start out as you mean to go on with everything.  Actually she didn't seem to mind at all though I only did her front outside teeth.  I also put her on the grooming table after every trip outside to wipe her paws.  At first she wouldn't let me near her back paws but now she does, though not like Missy yet, who raises her back feet like a little horse getting new shoes. 

I've been ordering calming stuff (doesn't look like we will need it now but good to have on hand), a new step in harness since it is hard to get the Roman style over her topknot,  hair bands for bows and a double leash coupler, though I think it will be quite a while before we use that.  Laughing

Thanks Del
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2015, 03:38:30 PM »

Sounds like she's staying then?

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2015, 03:40:59 PM »

Sounds like she's staying then?

What a difference a day makes.   Laughing

Thanks Del
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »

It just dawned on me that not everyone sees Missy's FB page.  Here is her morning status update:  fluffcurtsy

The Fluff Fairy must have come last night. She must have sprinkled some magic fairy dust on my new sister or else she took her and replaced her with an exact replica but with a different personality.

That scared fluff is gone so we have given her a new name to match her new personality. She is Sookie and the first thing she did this morning was lick my mom's hand. She then went outside and did potty and since she was hungry, I got some breakfast too. I'm a bit suspicious that I didn't get the same thing but my mom said that Sookie needs to gain weight and I don't.

My mom was worried because she couldn't sit all day and hold Sookie but, surprise, surprise, she put her down in a pet bed next to her and she got very cozy. We still have a leash on her all the time but don't think we are going to need that since she follows my mom around like a shadow,

Yes, it had to be the work of the fluff fairy.
  fluffyes

Thanks Del
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2015, 05:35:39 PM »

Super to read that - thank you for letting us know things are going
Pam

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2015, 05:39:48 PM »

Great news!! I hope you didn't spend too much on the calming stuff as I've never seen it work, at least not with darwin. We had some success with the thunder shirt, but none of he otc pills and sprays. Anyway, I'm glad she's feeling safe and responding well!

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »

Thanks  Everybody

I was wondering why she peed on the rug right next to the potty pad a couple of days ago.  It hit me when picking up the unused pads that I had put them upside down  Doh  with the vinyl up and the pre-scented side against the rug.

Missy has never used a potty pad but I bought a pack years ago to have on hand in case she got sick.  I just opened them without reading and was too tired to pay much attention to what I was doing.  

We are still taking them outside separately and Sookie and I came back inside while Missy and Ted were still on their walk.  I fixed their two little dishes with a spoon of pumpkin and figured I would give Sookie hers first, plus I could add more high calorie treats on top that I didn't want Missy to have.  When I put her dish down,instead of eating it, she just gave me a confused look and looked at Missy's dish still on the counter.  I got the impression that she wanted to wait for Missy so we did and they both gobbled up their treat at the same time.

I am astonished at how these two interact.  I knew that Missy was generous but it seems as though her little sister is looking out for her too.

I just got an inexpensive bottle of calming chewable tablets.  It may help before a car ride to the vet's office.  

Thanks Del
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2015, 10:57:39 AM »

I am so happy to read these updates!

Now she sounds more like Belle who arrived here Aug 10th and needed 3 to 4 days to calm down to the upheaval.  I suspect that these breeds get so bonded to their humans (they ARE companion bred, remember) that it really upsets them to have a bond with a person break. 

That pic of her in the bed is very cute. 

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 11:00:13 AM »

Sandie,
I was just thinking about you.  I wonder if they minimized her medical history.   I am going to schedule an appt. with Missy's vet tomorrow.  One of his special interests is teeth and Sookie has the most horrible breath.  How does it usually work with getting records transferred from current vet ?  Do the vet offices call or does the rescue agency or can I.  I know where she was spayed. 

Thanks Del
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2015, 12:27:35 PM »

So nice to here that things have settled down and Sookie is starting to feel at home.  So cute that she wanted to wait for Missy to eat her breakfast.  I agree with you on the issue of starting as you mean to go on. 

When we got Oscar I think our got the records from the vet the rescue used - I don't recall having to do anything.  Maybe tell your vet in advance the name of the vet that did the spay etc. and they can try to get the records.  There don't seem to be the privacy issues involved in getting human records.

Can't wait for the next update.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2015, 12:39:59 PM »

Thanks Debbra.  It's nice to know that our fluffs medical records haven't been hit by privacy regulations yet.   nodding  I'll do as you suggest and give the vet's office the previous vet name as well as send email to rescue group.  I had asked but she hasn't responded to that section of my email.  I do need to make  sure that she gets on Sentinel heartworm and flea protection.  I know if she needs dental, we are going to wait a bit, if possible, until she is completely secure and comfortable.  Her breath is really bad and one doesn't have to get very close to be affected by it. 

I fed her a lot yesterday since she wasn't eating much the first two days but today, I am getting her on Missy's feeding schedule. 

It was funny last night when she seemed to want a potty call around midnight.  I put her raincoat and harness on to take her to the backyard.  As we were going out the door, Missy decided she wanted to go along so I just said ok , quick without your coat. 
Out we go and Sookie did poo and pee and I noticed that Missy did a token pee though she probably didn't need to.  Time to come in and Sookie and I proceed into the house.  Missy is just standing in the yard giving me that mischievous look that says that maybe she wants to stay out and explore, etc.   Not having the energy to play her game, I just said that was fine with me and Sookie would get the treat.  Of course, Missy came running as I was slowly closing the door.   Laughing

Thanks Del
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2015, 01:16:52 PM »

I'm so happy to read your positive updates Susan!  cheerleader
Personally I think you are making remarkable progress! I can't beleive she is already being responsive to you putting on her rain coat prior to going potty, AND, allowing you to wipe her feet , AND, brush her teeth, all in less than a week, AMAZING!

Life will not be the same with two fluffs in the house. fluffwelcome Welcome home Sookie!

Like Debbra, I too can't wait for the next update.  nodding

Thank you Alison!
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2015, 02:46:01 PM »

Thanks Lin, they just had lunch and then potty time.  She did well and when Missy went on a walk with Ted, I decided to do a bit of a mid-day groom.  I just used a damp eye wipe since she has terrible tear stains.  I think she dislikes that more than the toothbrush.  I used a mint flavor tartar toothpaste that I had left after I switched Missy over to the baking soda and coconut oil paste since I thought that might be more palatable to her.  Missy only gets a tooth brushing at the end of the day including tongue and roof of mouth which she does like.  I'm lucky to just get some of Sookie's teeth.  I put the Plaque Off in her lunch and while Missy licks every grain of it out of the bowl, Sookie only gets that which sticks to her food. 

They are both taking a nap now after a busy morning and I'm taking a nice break too.   Laughing

Thanks Del
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2015, 03:49:02 PM »

Its so lovely that they are bonding so fast.

I sonetimes think Abby would like a friend,but then think she loves being an only dog.It sounds like you've found a great match.Alison

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2015, 05:58:11 PM »

Its so lovely that they are bonding so fast.

I sonetimes think Abby would like a friend,but then think she loves being an only dog.It sounds like you've found a great match.Alison

I think this is a great match.  I always worried that giving her a sister might be a problem (even with a new puppy) if the personality of the other was too dominant and she considered herself alpha over Missy.  When we went for the group walk last night, if Missy and Ted got ahead, Missy kept stopping to look back to make sure Sookie was close.  Sookie would stop to look around at the new sights and then run to catch up with Missy.  We just came back from another group walk and it was so much fun.  Missy is definitely not bored and it is easier than I thought to start getting them on the same schedule. 

Thanks Del
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2015, 09:16:47 PM »

WOW, I am so impressed!
I hate to sound pessimistic but it almost sounds too good to be true and you know what they say about that.  thinking
In any event I am enjoying your updates Susan. The new arrival has even managed to get the recluse out for an evening walk, wow!  thumbup
Wishing you continued success?

Thank you Alison!
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2015, 09:21:30 PM »

It is great to hear that things continue to go well.  Watching the two of them interact is sure to bring you and Ted lots of enjoyment with each new experience and as Sookie becomes more and more comfortable.  There may be occasional setbacks but sounds like you are on your way to a happy new family.

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2015, 09:49:10 PM »

That sounds really positive! I'm so happy for all of you!!

bokie
NOVICE

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2015, 04:14:21 PM »

just finished reading all 4 pages of the thread, glad to learn everything's going well!

Big sister Missy is looking after Sookie on the walks, that's just great!

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2015, 07:05:32 PM »

Aw Missy is the perfect big sister.She is so adorable

nzbyrd
G.O.D.

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2015, 08:09:07 PM »

You are doing such a good job Susan - well done, it's not easy taking on a rescue. I don't want to burst any bubbles because things are obviously going well, just be aware that there is usually a honeymoon period. Things sometimes take a step backwards once the dogs realises that they really are safe and loved. It certainly happened with my Ruby, nothing major, but enough to make me wonder what on earth was going on. Ten months down the track Ruby is well and truly a member of my family.
I'm so glad Missy has accepted Sookie, keep up the good work.

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »

I came looking for an update, possibly a picture or two  whistling
How are things going?

Thank you Alison!
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2015, 08:29:13 PM »

Same as Lin I was hoping for more news.  Hope things are continuing to go well.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2015, 04:42:16 PM »

Thanks all.  I posted a new picture as well as Missy's update in a new thread under Missy's pictures.   original

Thanks Del
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: