Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 20, 2019, 08:53:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missy and I filled out adoption papers  (Read 15355 times)
Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« on: December 30, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »

We saw this sweet Maltipoo girl, Caroline, on FB at a local rescue organization and it just touched my heart.  Over the years, I have thought about a sister for Missy but really do not want to go through the puppy stage. 

Please check out her story  [size=14pt]HERE [/size]   which takes you to an alphabetical listing of the adoptables.  There is only one Caroline and a horrendous before picture along with her story.

My question is regarding this quote:
". . . cleaned me up and shaved me, and Mary fed me lots and lots of food.  She bathed and medicated me to cure my sarcoptic mange.  After a few weeks of this special care, Mary pronounced me well enough to go to my foster home.  "

Is sarcoptic mange something that I should be worried about?   Missy has so many allergies and naturally sensitive skin that the thought of maybe bringing this problem home is scary.  Is a few weeks treatment enough in anyone's experience?   confused

Thanks Del
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »

How exciting!  Caroline is a cutie.  She is 2 years old.  I can't recall how old Missy is?

Sarcoptic mange is treated with weekly baths for 6 weeks.  Treatment does not kill the eggs, so you have to keep treating until all eggs have hatched.  As you likely know from reading on here and on FB, foster homes rarely have just ONE dog.  So the move to the foster home is a good sign that she is now mite free, as any other dogs there would be at risk.  Rescues are always short on funds, and vet care is their biggest expense; they would not take lightly the risk of infecting other dogs and increasing the vet bills. 

Certainly if you are selected you can discuss this with the FM.  Ask how may dogs she has in the home just now, and how Caroline gets on with them.  Does she try to play with them, or leave them be?  You will want to know this anyway to have a good idea of what she will be like with Missy.  Since Caroline is now permitted to sleep in the human bedroom, they feel quite confident that she is cleared of the mange. 

Keep in mind it is possible not all of her hair will grow in, so she may always need a sweater, Tshirt, etc. to protect her bare skin from the sun.  You really can't tell if the hair will be growing back in everywhere or not for a good 4 months, as the treatment is quite harsh on the skin and coat.  Along with the damage the mites caused! 

Caroline is 2 years old and she IS house trained.  She does not seem to know commands, so you will be training her for 'sit,' stay, lie down and so forth.  I think you groom Missy yourself?  Can't recall.  But if you do, see if they have any idea how she is with grooming.  They may not know.  Considering her condition when she was picked up from the shelter, I don't think they've had her to a groomer at all, it has all been vet visits, poor doggie!

Do let us know how this develops! 

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »

Thanks Sandie,  I knew I could count on you to give me good advice.  I'll ask all those questions and more if I get a response from them.  It is harder to adopt than I ever thought.  A few times over the years , a rescue has caught my eye and I have applied and never received a response from various rescue organizations.  One thing I did mention in my application is that I would need Missy to meet the dog in advance.  She will be ten in February and that is a long time being an only child.

Thanks Del
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 10:49:38 PM »

How exciting!!!  You will definitely want Missy to meet Caroline and to see how the each react to the other before making a final decision.  It's hard to really know how things will play out but certainly for us the first meeting told us a lot about whether bringing Oscar into our family.  Max was 7 1/2 when we adopted Oscar and had been an only child his entire life (both in his previous home and with us).  You may recall that Max is not a terribly social fellow.  He doesn't mind other dogs so long as they are not too much in his space but was not one to actively engage in play.  He and Oscar met briefly at the front door of Oscar's foster home and then we immediately went outside and just let them be.  They played immediately.  It was really the most surreal experience as I had never seen Max react like that to another dog.  Often the dogs at the dog park that he likes don't want to play with him for some reason but this was a mutual love fest.  He did growl at Oscar when Max was on my lap and Oscar tried to come up too but Oscar immediately backed off and life was good. 

There relationship took a step back when we brought Oscar to our home.  No fighting or bad vibes but no active playing as there had been in the initial meetings.  Oscar seemed to understand that time was needed and did not bug Max or get in his space despite Max initially being his buddy.  Over time they have found there were to being playmates again.  I think you really just have to give them time to develop their relationship on their own terms.  They now play together quite regularly and it's so fun to watch.  It's been just over 5 months now.  This week I've been off work because of the holidays and have found them both curled up  on the love seat on a couple of occasions.  It's so sweet. 

There are still some adjustments for us in having the two of them and adjusting Oscar to our schedule and ours to Oscar but it's been a worthwhile journey.

Fingers crossed that all goes well with Caroline.

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 10:59:33 PM »

Thanks Debbra,   I do remember reading all the updates on Oscar and it does give me hope that a little sister would be a good decision.  I'm just hoping that I get a response.   In one way it's good to know that the agencies take their time, on the other hand, a timely acknowledgement that an application is being considered would certainly be nice.

Thanks Del
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 01:43:09 AM »

Actually, I just finished filling out another adoption application for a little Maltese rescue that I just found was still available though it doesn't say much about her , just that she is house trained and spayed.  Her name is Noel and I'm attaching her picture. 

The only problem that I can see in either application, especially this one, is that one of the first things they ask is the applicant's age.  I know that Small Paws practices age discrimination from years ago when I tried to adopt.  I tried putting in a notation that any fur children that outlive me will have financial provisions made for them but age may disqualify us in which case, if I want a dog, I will need to purchase a puppy.

Thanks Del
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »

They are both adorable and would be very lucky to come home to you.

I hope the rescues don't discriminate about age.Your home is far too good to be passed up for any dog lucky enough to have a chance to live there.

I look forward to hearing how things go.

Alison

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 11:16:48 AM »

a timely acknowledgement that an application is being considered would certainly be nice.

On the 2 rescues sites I dealt with (SPR and Just A Touch), when you submit the app you get a notice that it has gone through. 

I know that Small Paws practices age discrimination from years ago when I tried to adopt.

SPR is focused completely on the dog, not the people.  They want the best for the dog.  So they provide for age 7 and older dogs to be adopted by age 70 and older folks.  They want people who are active enough to keep up with a younger dog -- get it out for walks and play dates.  Most folks 70 and older aren't up to that.

Based on what I have seen here with 10 fluffs passing through this home, a 2 year old and a 10 year old are not going to interact much.  Not because Missy is used to being an only dog, but because she is much much older and doesn't have the energy or interest to keep up with a youngster.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »

Sandie,  I was hoping that the energy of a younger dog would help keep Missy young.  I notice that she seems to sleep more than she used to and sometimes I think that she is just bored.  I am as nervous about this as I was about getting Missy. 

Thanks Del
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 12:40:04 PM »

I have just seen this thread Susan and wanted to wish you the best of luck.  I can't believe Missy is 10!!!!!!!!!!!  My baby Bengy is 10 now.  How time passes.  (Pepe is 14 and Poppy 13 - frightening!)
Don't expect Missy to interact with another dog in the house - mine have always gone their separate ways really.  It will just depend on the dogs I think
Pam

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »

Thanks Pam,  it will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition or not.  Missy really enjoys seeing some particular dogs on her walk.  She is absolutely in love with a male Corgi but the dog she sees the most is a female Maltipoo.  After being in a big hurry to greet her, they sniff around each other a bit and then Missy returns her attention to the Maltipoo's mom so you are probably right in that expecting them to actually play together may be wishful thinking.

Thanks Del
Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 09:12:02 AM »

Well we have Noel for a two week trial pre adoption period.  Noel has been a challenge since her foster mom left about 1PM yesterday.   She ran to the windows and doors and then she proceeded to hide under couches, beds, etc.

While the foster mom was here she was a different dog,  Ted and I were both holding her and she was very cozy in our laps.  I should have put a leash on her before the mom left but I had no idea that she would react like that.  I closed her in the bedroom with us last night (under the bed).  At one point, after lights out, she did jump up on the bed, but just walked across it and jumped back down and went back underneath.  I give her treats which she comes close enough to take but she backs up so fast I can't get her.  If I leave the room, she comes out but runs right back under as soon as I come back in.  If I go into the bathroom or closet, she has to run within eyesight to see where I am but then turns and runs back under the bed.  sad 

Her fm offered to come back last evening to see if she could settle her down but I thought the trauma of her leaving again would put us back to square one.  However, since we have not gotten past square one overnight, I am going to ask her to come help me today.  I have got to get this girl leashed to me. 

She is still wearing that nylon coat which she loves and it makes noise when she moves so I know where she is.  Before I closed her in the bedroom, she was running around the rest of the downstairs, from one hiding place to another, coming out to look at us and then run back.  On one of her runs, she did potty in the dining room.  I keep looking to see if she has anywhere else but didn't find anything. 

Missy is completely perplexed by her behavior.  We are keeping Missy to her normal schedule. 

Thanks Del
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 10:41:44 AM »

Aw she's so cute.Once she settles in she'll soon bond to you.I've only had rescue cats so I'm sure Sandie will give you much better advice.

I find with cats they are like that to begin with and slowly come out over a couple of days.Alison

Susan J
G.O.D.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 03:43:43 PM »

OK, I am going to try to do this on my own without having the fm return and with a little help from my online friends and experts.   Thank You

Sandie mentioned putting her in a more open room and so I have been moving stuff in the music room and have that pretty well set up for her.  The only problem is that it is carpeted but I put a puppy pad over a piece of cardboard and hope she may try that though she hasn't yet.

Missy and I have been sitting in there with her.  It's has windows with a street view and I moved it so she could look out if she chooses.  I did notice that she is taller than Missy standing up on her long back legs.  Her FM said she may have something else other than Maltese mixed in, perhaps Lhasa Apso .  confused

It's one of those ironic twists of life that I wanted a Maltese because they are so tiny and would be easier on us to lift and carry but this girl is terribly thin and weighs 10 pounds.   Rolled Eyes

What I am thinking is that until I can get her on a leash, she will remain in that room.  I tried today to grab onto the back of her coat while I was hand feeding her and she pulled away.  She is very strong and the material is slippery.  After that, she was back under the chair and shaking.  So now, I'm back to ignoring her and hopes that I didn't set us so far back with that move. 

I think I will have to leave her in there by herself overnight.  I put a pet bed (Missy's toy box since she never used it as a bed) in there and a cover on the chair by the window.  Last night she walked behind my desk and the wires to the PC speakers got caught on her coat and she got tangled and pulled one down.  It didn't hit her but probably scared her.

Also, she was recently spayed (she is between 3 and 5 years old) and has fairly fresh stitches though her vet visits and follow up check up are both complete.

Thanks Del
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »

I'm sure this is a strange, wonderful and terrifying experience for you, Missy and Noel.  Although I have only done this once, I think you are right in keeping Missy's routine the same.  You don't want her to be upset or stressed by this process.  I was lucky enough that neither Max or Oscar exhibited stress at coming into our home.  Sandie would be the expert on scared rescues so I would listen to her advice.  If she's been through a lot of recent changes it may take her a few days to trust your house.  I think your first instinct about not bringing the foster mom back was likely right.    If the last place she was left was the vet that my be adding to her concern of what will happen to her at your home.  So long as she's eating and drinking she's not in physical danger so time will allow her to become more secure.    Would toys tempt her? 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: