Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 17, 2019, 04:05:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which clippers in UK?  (Read 5573 times)
FINGLE

« on: October 25, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »

Hi- just contemplating buying some clippers for the first time. I'm struggling to keep on top of fingles coat & think that I'm better off clipping him short for the time being. So, having looked online I'm now totally confused as to what's best to get! Any suggestions please?

I have all the usual combs, slickers etc and have just starting to use cowboy magic shampoo & the detangler which has helped abit. He just has a coat like cotton wool. I'm assuming its his adult coat coming through as he's 11 months & it never used to be this bad.
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:29:59 PM »

This is the one I have: (found it on a UK website)
http://www.simpsons-online.co.uk/acatalog/info_2_AGC_C2S.html

Then, I had to be sure I had a #10 and a #30 blade.  As I recall, it comes with a #10, and I bought the #30 separately.

And I bought these combs:  (there are 2 on this page, the top one is what fits the Andis clipper above     
Ref:4023-015)
http://www.simpsons-online.co.uk/acatalog/Wahl.html#a4023_2d015

Once you are in the professional quality, most everything is interchangeable between companies.  If it says "compatible with A5 blades" that is what you want. 

I went this route, buying all the professional items, when I had 5 bichons.  Looking back, I probably should have made the investment at least at 3, lol.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »

Just to add to Sandie's post above, look for good quality professional equipment right off the bat. Don't waste your time and money on the cheaper sets as they will not cut through the thick wooly coat. Having said that, I do have a cheaper smaller clipper for their foot pads and privates that I can quickly pull out and touch up between groomings.

Thank you Alison!
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:39:31 PM »

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »

Having said that, I do have a cheaper smaller clipper for their foot pads and privates that I can quickly pull out and touch up between groomings.

I have a small one for those bits, and the face, as well.  I use a Wahl Mini Arco for this purpose.  It is a rechargeable one I can use with or without the cord.  But IMO, these are 'extras' you will pick up later, once you are hooked on home grooming!

FINGLE

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 06:16:48 AM »

thanks for the replys, good to know what other people use. I had seen the cheap ones & considered them, but I think I will have to save up & buy a half decent set-at least I know it should stand half a chance of getting through his coat.
just out of interest what do you think of these- reviews & pics look promising http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/clippers_shears/other_clippers_and_shears/154015

I bathed him on sat with cowboy magic shampoo & then used some of the cowboy magic detangler stuff & wow his coat feels lovely! it feels less dry & abit more silky.
think will also have to get a blast dryer as it took forever to dry him using my hairdryer, not that he didn't enjoy the extra attention though!
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »

just out of interest what do you think of these- reviews & pics look promising http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/clippers_shears/other_clippers_and_shears/154015

I'm not familiar with that brand.  Andis, Wahl, and Oster are the most popular brand names.  What concerns me about this one is this:  compatible with MOST Oster blades.  Um, why not all? And if you click on the link, you can ONLY get the Oster GOlden, not just 'any' Oster blade.   If you get one that takes A5 blades, then you can buy any blades: Andis, Wahl or Oster, whichever strikes your fancy, or happens to be on sale when you need one.

With one doggie, your blade will likely last you over a year.  My problem is Willy (of course, my challenge boy!).  He will bite the clippers (aiming for my hand!) and has more than once broke the tines.  So I need a new blade or I get an uneven cut on the rest of him, and on the other 3.  Oh, and once, I did drop it and the tines broke as it landed right on them.     Rolled Eyes

A word about dryers.  I know your electric system is different to ours here in USA (my Dad was an electrician, my Mum was from London, he spent time there).  So this may or may not apply in UK.  Here, the high velocity dryers come in 2 different voltages.  We home groomers have to be sure to get one with the voltage for home use; a dog grooming business has a higher voltage wiring in the shop.  I 'almost' bought one I would not have been able to use here at home; it would have kept tripping the circuit breaker.  Again, don't know if this applies for you, just something to keep in mind.

So glad you are seeing changes with all the suggestions! 

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »

We onl have one voltage system in the UK so we don't have those problems here,thankfully

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: