Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 22, 2019, 07:53:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Groomer's Helper - for Home Grooming, to prevent bites, Pics added #8 & 9  (Read 5998 times)
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« on: October 02, 2014, 12:08:54 PM »

NOTE:  I have added photos in Replies 8 and 9 below.

I'd heard about Groomer's Helper, but the price was too high for me to justify buying it.  This past August, they introduced the Groomer's Helper Essential, which is for dogs up to 30 pounds.  And the price is doable, so I now have one.  I have not used it yet, as it just arrived yesterday.  But this tool is going to make a huge difference for me, working on Willy (biter) and Tasha (puppy mill rescue).  This tool prevents the dog spinning, greatly reduces the bite area, prevents the dog jumping off the table and potentially hanging himself.

For some of you (like Del with Bianca), you have no need for this tool.  Your dog lies there and lets you get the job done.

For others, this will be a great tool.  

Here is a link, this 'should' be to the training video which shows how to use it.  It has several positions, to allow you to trim nails (which I don't think I will do, I will continue taking them in for that!), work on the beard, and so on.  The Essential includes this video on a CD, so you have it handy.

http://www.groomershelper.com/info/informational-video/?tubepress_video=O24O_ezMT-k&tubepress_page=1
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:01:32 PM by Freedom (Sandie) » Logged

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 01:09:28 PM »

Cool. Darwin has never (and I think, would never) bite me, but he sure does squirm. If it would help with that, I'd be interested.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »

Yes, if you watch the training video, it stops the dog from spinning and maneuvering out of your reach.  Also ensures the dog can't fall / jump off the table.

I forgot to say in the o.p., the way the loop connects around the neck, there is NO pressure on the trachea!

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 05:46:53 PM »

I hope it works out for you.Alison

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »

That's very cool! thumbsup  if I was grooming *professionally wink1, I would wanna buy it. 

*Lying down while I scissor/groom her (highness) is so not professional right? Laughing

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 02:16:30 PM »

*Lying down while I scissor/groom her (highness) is so not professional right? Laughing

VERY easy to work on, and if ANY Groomer has a dog that will lie down, they allow it!  You really are fortunate in that area, Del.  And I, with my rescues, really envy you!

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 02:41:20 PM »

Abby is a lazy groomee too.She only stands for her back,sits for her head and lays and sleeps for the rest.It was her method,not mine but it has been very useful after her knee surgeries.

I admire you grooming your rescues so well.Its so much stressful for them and you do a great job.

Alison

Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 04:28:14 PM »

One of the first things I got to groom Missy was the adjustable metal arm and the various loops that attach to it.  I don't know who found it more annoying, Missy or me.   whistling

I realized quickly that I am just not enough of a perfectionist when it comes to grooming Missy that I care about how still she holds while I hack away.   Laughing   As far as doing nails, she will lift her paws on request and she also tilts her head nicely while I am cleaning her ears.  I can see that this would be a good thing for rescues and I'm glad that you found it.   thumbsup

Thanks Del
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »

Today was spa day here, and I used the new Groomer's Helper Essential.  Oh wow!  Fantastic for Willy and Tasha!  Belle and Riley don't need it.  I took some photos, as the web site doesn't show this new item.

Here it is out of the box.  You get these 2 thingies, an instruction sheet, and the CD they already had for the standard Groomer's Helper.  The CD is very good in showing different positions to use the item, as you work on the dog, or a dog with a different personality . . . or even work on a cat!

Apparently, the arms for the grooming tables come in 2 different sizes.  So the Essential is made for either size -- you remove the inner part if you have the larger size arm.  I did not have to remove it for my set up, but you can see it here.

Side view.

First you release and remove the clamp on the arm. 

Probably a good idea to mark where you have it, so you can just put it back in the same spot.  You can't see it, I just put a short pen mark on the arm.

Then you slide the Essential up onto the arm. It tightens with a screw, same as the arm.

Replace your clamp and mount it on your table.

This is your new 'groomer's loop' which will clip up on the top of the arm, and it has a cam lock.

More photos coming.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 10:56:23 PM »

The new grooming loop includes a quick release, as a safety, should the dog become anxious and you just need to get her off the table.

Here is Willy, dripping wet from the sink, and now connected with the new Essential.

The way this is made, it does not put any pressure on the trachea.   thumbsup  The dog can't spin.   thumbsup  I also use a grooming loop around the dog's hind quarters.  Now, there is no way the dog can jump / fall off the table.   thumbsup  The area in which the dog can reach to bite you  is VERY small (yes, it is still possible for the dog to bite you, but you really have to be putting your hand / arm in front of the mouth now, for that to happen).   Kicking

Since he really could not move, Willy couldn't get himself all wound up.  I have NEVER seen him this calm for grooming.  They only came out with this device in August, so I couldn't have obtained it much sooner; but oh how I wish this had been around for the past 5 years, I really would not have been bit so much!

Sorry this pic is out of focus.  You can see the whole set up for the Essential, plus the extra loop I use at the rear end.

I walk around to the other side.

So I could get the back of his head.

After the blow drying, before the clipping.  One big white fluffy poofy boy, ha ha haa.

Drying has always been very nerve wracking with Willy as he does NOT approve!  And even though the grooming training all says to start with the head, Willy insists his head will be dried LAST.  He used to be spinning around, climbing up on my shoulders (front legs only) and basically all over the place, whining and fussing.  He couldn't do that today!   no  Clipping was SO much easier -- I could work on legs and feet without fear of a bite.  Of course I paid attention and stopped whatever I was doing if he was snarling, moved to another part for a time.   Well worth it, so glad I bought this.

Caution:  this device does not prevent you from cutting yourself when using scissors.  ashamed Yup, I did it AGAIN.  Sigh.    Doh

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 08:54:17 AM »

I'm so glad it worked out well for you.Its brilliant it calmed Willy too.Alison

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 08:55:12 AM »

Good pictures of Willy modelling your new aids. I'm glad that it worked for you but sorry it didn't prevent scissors mishaps. LOL

What do you do about the loops being in the way when drying, brushing and clipping? I usually put a loop around Luigi's upper body to make him think he is restrained but it is always in my way.

Thank you Alison!
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »

Good pictures of Willy modelling your new aids. I'm glad that it worked for you but sorry it didn't prevent scissors mishaps. LOL

What do you do about the loops being in the way when drying, brushing and clipping? I usually put a loop around Luigi's upper body to make him think he is restrained but it is always in my way.

I just work around the loops, never been a problem.  Once I am finished, I remove the rear loop and quickly run the electric clipper over that area to catch any tufts that were missed.  Then I do the same for the neck loop.  Periodically, I forget I have the #5 comb on the clippers when I do this; at the moment, Belle has a near bare ring around her neck!  A few months back, Tasha had a bare waist.   eyebrows  I just remind myself its hair, it will grow, and all is well.

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 11:49:10 AM »

original Good to know.  thumbup

Thank you Alison!
Audra

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 02:55:41 PM »

I love reading these about you all doing your own grooming, I'm lucky then as the groomer I took Loki too said she was really good and let her do everything. When I bath her she just stands in the bath with her front paws up on the handrail and I get on with it.....I like reading these post as when she gets older I think it's definitely something that I want to do myself,  as I know how I want her to look. At the moment I don't think I will even attempt it, maybe I will try one thing at a time and see how I go.....I have noticed though that when she goes to the groomers, she smells much nicer for longer, not that she smells, but it's  just nicer.....I use a white dog shampoo as her skin is not sensitive anymore and the oatmeal ones do make them a bit yellow x

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: