Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 19, 2019, 06:30:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fostereing: UPDATE on Cookie  (Read 8216 times)
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 06:09:48 PM »

Sounds like wonderful progress well done

Shellie

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 11:58:25 PM »

Thanks for the continuing support, guys.

For those of you with more than one doggie, when you integrated a second dog, did the first get listless in any way? It seems to me that Munchkin is "down." He's not as playful, and doesn't follow me around all day like he used to. He still follows me for a great part of the day, but sometimes, he just looks up, whines, and lays back down. Sometimes when I'm holding him, he whines, too. Not that he wants to get down, but almost like a "this isn't the way I wanted it" lind of thing. Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

The dogs seem to be fighting for alpha, also. Munchkin has tried to mount Cookie on several occasions. Cookie is three times the size of Munchkin, and very quickly "pins" him down. She has even gone for the throat (gently) a few times when Munchkin persists. It never ends with someone getting hurt, but I have a feeling that Cookie will be the dominant dog when all this stops. My kids got upset because the dogs were fighting at one point, and Cookie was bearing her teeth, and then Munchkin did so in kind as well. It was a little scary to see, but I supervised the whole thing, ready to "rescue" Munchkin at a moment's notice.

Any advice welcome here. (Even if it's just that this is normal behavior, and to back off LOL)  Thanks Smiley

Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »

Then - they PLAYED! Both of them grabbed the same toy and started chewing on it. Then one would let go, then the other, and they would both pick it up again. So cute. After that, I brought munchkin to bed. Cookie didn't want to come to bed with me, choosing a towel in the living room instead.  This morning they're playing together nicely. I'm so happy, I can't even express.

clapping   goodjob

Thanks Del
Shellie

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »

Well, it looks like Cookie has to go Sad  As she gets more comfortable here, I can see that her old parents didn't train her at all. She poops and pees everywhere, which is the least of the troubles. She destroys EVERYTHING (including my dining room table), but even that I could probably work with. She tries to hurt munchkin to the point where I won't leave the house without taking Munchkin with me. That's hard, but....
Yesterday, she scratched my back trying to get me out of bed. I have chronic fatigue, and I can't get out of bed all at once. It takes time. Munchkin has learned to deal with this, and though he whines, he just patiently waits for me to get out of bed, and then moseys along with me to the kitchen for let-outs and breakfast. Cookie, not so much. She climbed on top of me and started digging at my back. I mean as if she was outside in the dirt. Hurt so bad. When I finally got up, she started doing it to my leg. I finally got to the door, let her out, and closed it. I didn't want to let her back in, but I eventually did.
I spent almost the entire day trying to keep her teeth off of one thing or another. Toys, shoes, tables, chairs, munchkin, my arm... it just gets worse every day. I have the lady who runs the rescue coming tonight or tomorrow morning to get her and re-home her. I said NO other pets and NO children. Can you imagine if she had gotten her claws into my kids?!

Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »

You tried. That is more than a lot would do.  You certainly can't put Munchkin in danger and it would take a lot to retrain her plus wondering whether or not she could ever be completely trusted.  It's sad but it is the situation with so many furpups who have originally been adopted by irresponsible humans and then abandoned when they become too unruly.   sad

Thanks Del
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 01:20:27 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that.Recognising your limitations is an important thing to be able to do for you and the dog so I'm glad you've made a quick decision.I hope she gets a home where they can train her very soon and you can get back to feeling more comfortable and enjoying Munchkin again.

Alison

Shellie

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 01:23:51 PM »

Me, too! I cried when I dropped her off, but they said she will be immediately available for adoption because she has no prior issues and she already saw the vet, so I'm hopeful she'll be rehomed within a week. Things around here are already back to normal, which is a relief because I suffer from anxiety to begin with and I could feel myself heading down that dark tunnel. I feel bad for the dog, but I have to remember I never planned on keeping her, and since the original agency wasn't going to re-home her, I had to take things into my own hands for my own health.

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: