Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 16, 2019, 10:00:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found 2 possible bichons to adopt: help!  (Read 12698 times)
lorraine (Lorraine)
GURU

Bichons are Best, Ella & Gabby are white diamonds!

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 05:52:44 PM »

I would not expect the groomer to take him if there is a suspicion of kennel cough as this can be infectious, at the end of the 10 day period of antibiotics get your vet to check him out or even give them a call now for advice.
I like the name Ollie, this will be such an exciting time for you.  original

BichonMom86

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 06:01:21 PM »

Thanks, I really like the name Ollie too, it really fits his personality Smiley I am very excited. I really hope they are treating the kennel cough now, I was just reading that kennel cough can get a LOT worse. Right now Ollie is just coughing a bit, he's very happy though, and energetic. I'm hoping that we caught it in time, and he doesn't get too sick  begging
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 06:04:42 PM »

Poor thing.I hope its not Kennel Cough.Is he still coming home? I can't wait to met him.Alison

BichonMom86

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 12:35:36 AM »

Oliver, or Ollie, is here!  woohoo He is a wonderful dog! I found out today that his owners did NOT have him fixed, which explains a lot of the house breaking problems they were having! He never leaves my side. I'm not sure if this is because he is afraid someone else is going to leave him, or if he has already become my "Velcro" pup. I took a shower today, and he came with me! I feel terrible leaving him for a minute, when I do he cries / barks. One thing that I am extremely concerned about is that Ollie will not eat / drink. I called the rescue that I got him from, their emergency number, and no one has called back. He seems to be afraid of the bowls (?), I tried to give him a regular dinner bowl, but he wouldn't drink out of that either. If he doesn't drink tomorrow I am going to get a baby bottle to try to get fluids in him that way.

PS: I keep trying to post pictures, but they are too big :-( I will try to resize and post tomorrow. Thank you all!
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »

I am so excited, and grinning from ear to ear! 

Many rescues will cling to the Human who takes them.  He is needy and worried.  You will get used to 'sharing' your bathroom trips, ha haaa.

He was eating and drinking at the rescue, right?  So he can't be afraid of bowls, maybe he just isn't hungry? 

If you get a free account at photobucket.com, you can resize photos on there.  I just downloaded a free resizer app (only takes tiny amount of space on your computer) and do it right on my laptop.  If you use Windows 7, use Google and search: Windows 7 resizer  You will find it.  It is quick and easy to use; allows you to resize multiple photos at a time, not each one individually.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 10:13:27 AM »

Wonderful, I'm so happy for you both!  cheerleader
As for the eating and drinking, not to worry right away, put bowls out where you would like them and just leave them there he will go to them eventually, but, having said that he will probably want you close. I have water bowls on my main floor and one upstairs because my pups follow me around too and they will drink in the bowl closest to me. If I go downstairs or outside for any length of time I put water out there too. Also my pups will not eat if I am not home they like to eat when I am close too. Also I do not have dog bowls for their food per say I use our household dishes they use the fruit nappy bowls from my corning set and I just put them in the dish washer with our dishes, but I have stainless steel water bowls. I'm sure your boy will get used to your bowls.

As for picture you can resize them in photobucket, I can't wait to see some pictures!  nodding

Thank you Alison!
BichonMom86

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »

Just an update: Ollie was licking grass from while we were out on a walk, he is loving walks! Every time he sees the bowls (they are stainless steel ) he backs away and cowers behind me. I really am starting to think he associates them with something bad Sad.  My friend / roommate thinks the same. Thanks for the tips on resizing, I will do that today Smiley Alyce and Ollie
MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »

Some dogs are petrified of stainless steel.  Not sure why.  Try putting the food on a plate or in a cereal bowl.  Water can be in a ceramic dog bowl.  Are you feeding the same food he was eating at the shelter?  You can slowly begin to add some of the food you choose to feed him over the next few weeks.  Good luck!

BichonMom86

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 01:20:57 PM »

Another update: The shelter called me back. After they told me "no he doesn't have kennel cough, he's fine to go home without meds." They said that he probably has kennel cough, and I should come in right away to get antibiotics and special food for him to eat. If he doesn't eat by 4 tonight, I'm supposed to call back tonight to get scheduled for him to see the vet for an emergency appointment tomorrow. They said he may have to be hospitalized!!! Sad I pray that he eats / drinks something...I really don't want him to be hospitalized. I put the special soft canned food on a plate, and so far he hasn't touched it.
lorraine (Lorraine)
GURU

Bichons are Best, Ella & Gabby are white diamonds!

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 05:28:30 PM »

I think a vet appointment will put your mind at rest one way or another. I am sorry that you are going through all this worry but I am sure things will work out.  comfort

BichonMom86

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »

Pictures of Oliver! (hopefully they post successfully Smiley

I have a vet appointment tomorrow at 12, he was able to drink water today so that's a huge relief. Still not eating, but hopefully it's only time before he does.
susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »

Congratulations  Clap  Kicking on your new addition.  Ollie looks like a real sweetie.... and you did a fine job with the pics!
I Can certainly relate to "bathroom sharing" additionally, my cats also, strictly enforce a no closed bathroom doors policy.  Lol....

I've had my Olivia for a little over a year now but when I first adopted her, it was a real struggle to get her to eat anything.  None of the Vet's suggestions worked and she wouldn't touch any of the food that her previous owners used.---nothing---Vet said she wouldn't starve herself.......  called her a "little Stinker"    I was at my wits end and it went on for quite a while......  I was trying everything, putting down several kinds at the same time and labeling the bottom of the bowls.....So I would know what I put in the bowl.....  She wanted nothing to do with the canned food she was eating before either.......

Finally, I found some canned Weruva Paw licken chicken----Actually stuff smelled wonderful--just like human food.........and she ate it!
It was prohibitively expensive so I started giving her Acana Grasslands dry food and give her boiled chicken and diluted chicken broth toppers and that's what finally worked but it did take some time.

It's alot of upheaval for little Ollie.  I know it's hard for you not to stress about his appetite.   He will eat as he settles in.

It's so lovely being able to share your excitement through your posts.........

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 09:26:02 PM »

What a handsome boy!n Good job on posting pictures.
I'm sorry to hear that he is not eating yet but not to worry, he will eat when he is hungry.
Make a list of all the questions you want to ask the vet tomorrow, that way you won't forget anything while there.  wink1

Thank you Alison!
BichonMom86

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 01:31:17 AM »

Thank you so much for the support everyone! Ollie finally ate food AND was able to drink water  swing ! My friend and I clapped and cheered as he was eating (he probably thinks we are crazy lol). I am so relieved. He is NOT happy about taking his medicine; but the medicine seems to be helping. I'm still taking him to the vet tomorrow; I want to be sure he is okay and that nothing else is wrong. I guess it wasn't the bowls after all!

Alyce & Ollie  Clap
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 09:34:12 AM »

Once I saw the pics, I was grinning from ear to ear.  Hey, YOU have a fluffy white bichon on YOUR lawn!   Clap 

Glad he finally ate.  Moving IS a big upset, it can take time for the hunger pangs to penetrate the nervousness, lol.  You and Ollie should be fine.

It is always good to take a new pet to YOUR vet for a check up within the first 3 days, in any event, even if all seems well.  If the vet finds anything, the rescue usually pays for it. 

Do ask the vet  or a vet tech to see about cleaning his ears, and clipping his nails.  This is something that is a routine, NOT because there is anything 'wrong.'  And, if the groomer doesn't have to do nails on his first visit, that will be fine with her, too!

Since Ollie hasn't been neutered, if everything checks out the vet may ask you about taking a blood sample so the surgery can be scheduled within the next month.  Personally, if Ollie is fine and no kennel cough, I suggest getting this done and over with sooner rather than later.  It just becomes part of the transition, for BOTH of you, and then you have smooth sailing going forward.  Remember, for males this is not invasive surgery, they recover quickly.  Since there is a concern of kennel cough, the vet may say get the blood work now but schedule the surgery for 3 weeks out so we know for sure his is healthy. 

And Lin had a good suggestion, write down all your questions ahead of time!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: