Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 19, 2019, 06:31:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with the adoption process  (Read 4865 times)
aschwa4

« on: April 11, 2014, 04:09:15 AM »

I've decided to add another fur baby to my life! I'm just unsure how to go about it when it comes to adoption. My first Bichon came from a breeder and my current one came from a pet store (before I knew about all the mistreatment). I've been stalking petfinder the past few weeks and have come across only a handful of bichons (and a few dogs of other breeds) that I think would suit me, but there always seems to be a roadblock. Whether it's needing a fenced in yard, can't be shipped, etc. I did find one I fell in love with but I mistakenly waited a whole weekend to hear back from small paws about a question I had, and during that time a lot of people applied for her. When I applied on Monday, I got an email back that they were no longer accepting applications. Oops.

I don't think I realized it would be this time consuming searching for the right rescue pup. I've even started contacting breeders. But I haven't committed to that because I keep coming back to wanting to adopt.

Maybe I'm doing this all wrong and need some tips.  For those of you who have been through this before, how did you go about finding your adopted pup?

Thanks for your help. Now that I've decided on getting a new dog, I'm quite antsy to get him/her here ASAP! nodding
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 10:23:59 AM »

I volunteered with Small Paws Rescue for 6 years.  I can tell you, they are very selective in their adopters.  Their primary focus is on the DOG, will this be a good fit, will the dog be well cared for, will this be a forever placement?  I've since learned most rescues work this way.  So what you are finding is common.  Around me, I don't know of ANY rescues which will place a dog (any dog, any breed / size) in a home without a fenced in yard.  It is just not safe, and not a good set up for the dog.  Dogs need to be able to walk and run about freely and safely.  This is the rescue mind set.

I started w/ SPR because my first bichon, Sugar, was one I adopted from them.  She was age 9 at the time.  I liked the way they worked, and they do follow ups post adoption, as well.  So I signed up to volunteer.  Of course, I adopted every dog they sent me to foster.  But that's another story.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
aschwa4

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »

There have to be some rescue groups that don't require a yard. I live in manhattan and A LOT of people have adopted pups.

Of course I believe their first concern should be the dog's well being. Not trying to suggest any different. I guess my expectations of the process were wrong and it's a bit frustrating. Maybe I'll give it another few days and then turn to a breeder.
MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »

I have 2 neighbors who have been able to adopt smaller dogs (one is a poodle mix) from the southern states.  They were not as picky and the pups were shipped up to Connecticut where my neighbors drove to pick them up.  So I suggest you keep looking at rescues and be patient.

ex.   http://www.adoptapet.com/pet/10351961-columbia-south-carolina-miniature-poodle-mix
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:28:13 PM by MattiesMom (MaryEllen) » Logged

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 02:48:53 PM »

I admit, I know nothing about city living, I agree it is possible to adopt and live there.  I don't know anything about that, sorry.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Luana
New Hampshire
EXPERT

Bichon.ca

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 10:16:16 PM »

I believe I got Pepper from Bichon Club of America Rescue.  I live in NH and he was in MA so we met part way for me to pick him up.  They were very thorough in their questions, and one of them was the closed in yard.  We do not have one, but we live in a neighborhood without much traffic, (no thru traffic, only people that live here or visit) and I never let him off leash.  We walk the neighborhood several times a day,  it is about a half mile circle.

I took pictures to show them the area.

Good luck with your adoption.

Thank you Del, love it.
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 11:20:07 AM »

I'm in the UK so it may be very different?  We applied to the breed rescue, were homechecked and approved then waited 12 months before Poppy was placed with us.  Our second rescue was a stray whose picture I saw on the web.  She did her 7 days in the pound (well sort of - she was fostered by one of the owners of the rescue who took dogs from that pound).  Our references were checked and they referred to the homechecker for the breed rescue so it was very thorough.  We picked her up once her 7 days were up so that was much quicker.
It seems to depend on the type of rescue/pound that you go to how detailed the checks are.  My local council pound you can walk in and pay for a dog then walk out with no home check or anything sad
Good luck in your search
Pam

Schnoppy
Jacque Pupsteau-Explorer
ENTHUSIAST

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 09:58:18 AM »

Der Perfesser came from Animal Control from the South Bronx.  rock I occasionally visit their website to see who needs adoption. There are always a variety of dogs aside from pitbulls (about 80% of the intake) who need adoption. There are Shi Tzu's, Shiba Inu, Maltese, Poodles, Bichon and mutt-pups etc. from time to time on the site.  And many of them really seeming to need someone to take care of them.

It is worth a visit - but be prepared as it does take a bit of intestinal fortitude.  sad

Cheers

The Human

Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 06:14:16 PM »

It always amazes me that some rescue groups can be so rigid with their rules.  Missy has a closed in yard but really has no need of one with all the walks she gets.  I stopped supporting Small Paws when I realized that we would not qualify for a rescue based upon age.   whistling   I also was rebuffed by them years ago when I inquired about having a locally fostered dog visited by Missy to see if there would be a comfort level with both and was told it was a take or leave it situation and no prior contact was possible.  I later ran into the woman at our vet's office who had been fostering that particular dog and she said she would have been happy to have the dog meet with us.  It was the Small Paws organization that said no.    No wonder so many fluffs are still waiting.  While I agree with in home visits, I would think that evaluations should be personalized.  I support Bichon Clubs of America which supports the best practices philosophy. It seems the organizations in that group tend to look at potential adopters as individuals instead of using a check list.

Thanks Del
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: