Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 24, 2019, 05:54:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice  (Read 6489 times)
jle

« on: February 13, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »

Hi everyone!

So I've had a few posts about my desire to adopt a bichon vs getting a puppy.  I was going back and forth for awhile, but I decided that we would adopt.  I've been watching pet finder and lurking around here, getting as much info as I can about living with a bichon.  Finally, a dog was posted that I thought would be perfect for my family.  I applied, and just heard back from Small Paws.  But there's a problem - I buy my heart worm medication online instead of from my vet.  They want itemized receipts.  I don't keep my heart worm receipts.  Apparently this is a deal breaker.  I had no idea that I should be saving those receipts!  I wanted to go with Small Paws because I live in Massachusetts; there aren't a lot of bichons around here, and Small Paws transports.  Unfortunately, it looks like I'm out of luck with rescuing Sad  This makes me so sad, as we have both a cat and dog we rescued from other rescue groups with no issues.

The problem with getting a puppy is - - -  my husband!  He doesn't want me to spend more than $1200 on one, and I have yet to find a breeder that is under $1800.  I completely understand why these reputable breeders ask this price - they put a lot of time, money, and energy into the breed.  If it were up to me alone, I would have no problem spending that much.  Unfortunately, unless I leave my husband, that's not going to happen.

Do I need to give up my quest for a bichon?  I've really fallen in love with the bichon personality, but should I find a dog that's more popular and easier to find in the New England area?  I would really hate to do that, but I've promised my kids we'll be getting a dog within the next year. 

Thank you so much for listening!
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 08:37:19 PM »

Heartworm meds can only be purchased with a prescription.  Can you get the vet to write he gave you the script?  That will be a good start.

Go to the online site you buy from -- which one is it?  Use the CONTACT US and see if they can reproduce your receipts.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:15:54 PM »

I too buy my Heartworm meds online.  Usually, they send you a confirmation in your email box with your order itemized before they send it.  Can't you search your email box for the confirmations?  I can't imagine that Small Paws wouldn't consider that.......

I love puppys and have gone through puppyhood twice.  This is the first time I've adopted.  It's been a wonderful experience although the issues  have been different.  

Playing seems to be a learned puppy experience that apparently, my girl hasn't had........  
Also my previous puppys were always quickly housebroken but, having adopted partially housebroken at two years (although paper trained),  I doubt Olivia will ever be totally 100 % to go outside for her business....lol

Also, timidness and under-socialization seems to be an issue......Looking into classes to help.......

If you adopt a Bichon you need the time to invest,----
Bichon's are amazingly loving dogs but, they are the truest of velcro dogs as well......

I'm as attached to her as she is to me......... totally besotted.......

Have you considered fostering?  Have you considered asking the breeders if they have an older Bichon available rather than a puppy or know of any older Bichons.  They wouldn't ask as much for a 2 to 4 year old.   Breeders often know of other breeders.  You might have to expand your area.......
 Bichons Rule

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:18:26 PM »

Do you not have to have your pet checked for heartworm prior to giving the medication or receiving the Rx? I have my fluffs checked annually for heartworm by doing a blood draw, but I don't give the medication. Therefore I would have receipts from my vet to show care.

Thank you Alison!
jle

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:19:48 PM »

I buy the meds from petsuppliesnet.com.  They've never asked for a prescription.  I'll try to contact them, but I never set up an account.Sad   I may  have the most recent confirmation, but I've been buying from them for years;  I have to clean out my email often, otherwise I don't have enough storage on my iPhone.

My vet has been doing annual heart worm checks, I just don't buy from them.
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:32:05 PM »

I buy the meds from petsuppliesnet.com. 

Ah, there is your problem.  Don't bother contacting them for the documentation; SPR will not accept it, anyway.

You are not purchasing a heartworm product made for USA, which meets FDA guidelines.  You are purchasing from Australia.  That is why you do not need a prescription; they have completely different rules, and different medication needs.  It is also quite likely that they have a different variety of heartworm than we have here.  Most importantly:  you are not getting the medication strength which is required in the US; because if you were, you would only be able to get it with a prescription.  It is like the difference between tylenol, and tylenol with codeine.  The recommended coverage in the US for heartworm protection is the stronger version. 

Normally, if I regularly dose my dogs, and then one develops heartworm anyway, the manufacturer will cover the cost of treatment; and believe me, heartworm treatment is EXPENSIVE.  Even if you did keep all your receipts, if your dog did contract heartworm, Novartis would NOT cover the treatment, because you are not using the correct product for your geographic area. 

If you do not buy from your vet, you need to purchase from a Vet-VIPPS certified pharmacy. The is a Veterinary-Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice site.  Here is a link which explains the certification: http://www.nabp.net/programs/accreditation/vet-vipps

Drs. Foster and Smith is one.  Most on line pharmacies are not.  If you are not purchasing from such a place, then you are not getting the proper product.  It may be counterfeit; it may be expired; in the case of the site you are using, it is designed for a completely different country, which most likely has a different variety of heartworm.  So as far as SPR is concerned, you are not protecting your dogs from heartworm.

Here is the current list of Vet-VIPPS:
http://www.nabp.net/programs/accreditation/vet-vipps/find-a-vet-vipps-online-pharmacy

You WILL need a prescription, to order from any of them.

You are very fortunate that your dogs have not contracted heartworm, IMO.

susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 02:31:28 AM »

I buy the meds from petsuppliesnet.com. 

If you do not buy from your vet, you need to purchase from a Vet-VIPPS certified pharmacy. The is a Veterinary-Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice site.  Here is a link which explains the certification: http://www.nabp.net/programs/accreditation/vet-vipps

Drs. Foster and Smith is one.  Most on line pharmacies are not.  If you are not purchasing from such a place, then you are not getting the proper product.  It may be counterfeit; it may be expired; in the case of the site you are using, it is designed for a completely different country, which most likely has a different variety of heartworm.  So as far as SPR is concerned, you are not protecting your dogs from heartworm.

Here is the current list of Vet-VIPPS:
http://www.nabp.net/programs/accreditation/vet-vipps/find-a-vet-vipps-online-pharmacy

I've been using KV supply(Kennel Vaccine Vet Supply Co, Inc) which is also on your Vet-VIPPS list.  It had a good price on Heartgard which I use.

I notice that Small Paws Rescue does not want Revolution used on their Bichons

jle

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:07:46 AM »

Well now I'm even more upset.  I bought from that site because it was recommended by a few people, including a vet tech.  Clearly she had no idea what she was talking about.  I compared the packaging to my vet bought Heaetguard and it looked the same.  I am so thankful my Julie has been heartworm free.  I will definitely be getting a prescription from now on.
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:03:29 PM »

I've been using KV supply(Kennel Vaccine Vet Supply Co, Inc) which is also on your Vet-VIPPS list.  It had a good price on Heartgard which I use.

I notice that Small Paws Rescue does not want Revolution used on their Bichons

Firstly, it is not "MY" list, lol, it is the list of certified online pharmacies. 

SPR does have some stringent rules, and I don't agree with all of them.  However, I do know in New England, Revolution for dogs has NOT been working for about 2 years. 

I bought from that site because it was recommended by a few people, including a vet tech.

A vet tech should know better.  Make sure the VET knows she recommended this!  She needs to be monitored more closely in all her interactions with clients, as this is a biggey and if she erred in this, she is probably making other mistakes too.

OhBichonPlease

Bridget & Daisy

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 11:33:52 AM »

I just started Daisy on Revolution because I like the idea of combining the heartworm and flea meds.... Are there problems associated with Bichons and Revolution? And is New England's Revolution going to be different from the rest of the country's? What about it hasn't been working? Fleas, ticks or the heartworm part? I need more info - now I'm worried!
OhBichonPlease

Bridget & Daisy

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 11:50:31 AM »

As far as getting your Bichon, I think all the advice stated above is great. Definitely contact breeders to see if they have older dogs - sometimes things don't work out and breeders almost always have in their contracts that their dogs must be returned to them if they have to be rehomed for any reason.
If you really want to adopt, I would just encourage patience. Sometimes it takes time, but you may end up with the absolutely perfect dog, and wouldn't that be worth it? I checked local shelters websites, as well as rescue groups, and classifieds from my local news site and Craigslist daily for months before seeing Daisy come up. I also had to race over to the shelter to get her, because competition for these fluffs is fierce! Bichons are apparently reasonably popular in my area [I see non-registered breeder listings every few months], and you can probably find pockets of neighborhoods and areas around where Bichons and Bichon-mixes are more common. If you see someone walking one around - ask where they got theirs! I have seen some really cute Bichon-mixes from [probably] well-meaning backyard breeders. You said you fell in love with the Bichon personality, but the look is definitely similar in mini-Poodle/terrier mixes that I've seen. Malteses and Cotons are also so similar, but I totally get the Bichon love!
A year is a long time too - are you planning a vacation to another part of the country? You may want to check with rescue groups and breeders in those areas as well - then you could just pick up your new friend [and find one in your budget, possibly] while on holiday!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: