Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 24, 2019, 06:04:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reputable breeders in the New England area  (Read 5820 times)
jle

« on: December 07, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »

Hi all!

While I'm still not sure if we'll be getting a puppy or rescuing a bichon, I wanted to start contacting breeders now to see if there would be any puppies around in the future.  I contacted the breeders listed in CT on the AKC website - two will not be having puppies anytime soon.  The third one offered to let us visit to meet the parents, but keep ignoring my requests for an approximate price for the puppies.  The ride for us would be 4 hours round trip with 2 kids - we just wanted to make sure the cost was in our price range.  The fact that she won't tell me makes me a little suspicious.   

Can anyone recommend a New England breeder not listed on the AKC website?  Thanks!
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:51:30 PM »

I'm in Wales,so no suggestions,sorry.I just wanted to say good luck and well done for looning for a good breeder.

I hope you come back and show us your new little one.Alison

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 12:37:13 AM »

AKC bichon puppies from breeders who show in the New England area are fairly hard to come by.  I was on a waiting list for Sassy for 20 months.  I got Mattie quickly as she was returned to her breeder after being rejected by her owner at age 5 months (stupid woman).  My breeder used to live in CT but has moved away from the area.  Here are a few from my list, but note the list is several years old:
1. Winterhill Kennel, West Brookfield, MA  508-867-6929
2.  April valley Bichons, Goffstown, NH  603-384-1014 (this was my second choice because they did genetic disease checking)
   I don't know if either of these kennels is still breeding, but hope I helped you.

jle

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:42:03 AM »

Thanks!  I had found both of their websites, but since they breed more than bichons I wasn't sure without a recommendation.  I will contact them.  Thanks again!
MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »

The breeder that I got my girls from also bred collies!  My vet, (W. Truesdale) who has a couple of Westminster Best in Show winners has bred and shown boxers, fox terriers, and affenpinschers.  I too, would be cautious, but don't dismiss them either.  You sound like you know the questions to ask and how to determine if the breeder is questionable.  I was very lucky to know Dr. Truesdale as I was able to get references from him.  Good luck to you!

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 03:11:20 PM »

I don't know of any to add to what you've already got, so I can't help with that.

When you talk with someone, or review their website, or get your list of questions ready, a good source are the essays on the Bichon Information Station.  They have a few under BREEDERS which discuss things to look out for, things to ask and check into.  So you may want to look at those.  Also, all this is stuff you do before you see a puppy because, once seen . . .  Love  It is VERY hard to say no, lol! After you read the essays, you will have an idea of which things are important to you, and which are not so much.  You may have one or two items which are deal breakers, but the rest of it is really up to the individual to decide.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:53:51 PM by Freedom (Sandie) » Logged

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Luana
New Hampshire
EXPERT

Bichon.ca

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 11:16:02 PM »

I, too, am from New England, but have chosen to adopt a rescue.  Unfortunately there are a lot of bichons in rescue. I used Bichon Club of America.  They were very nice to deal with.

Thank you Del, love it.
jle

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »

Thanks!  I have also been looking at Small Paws Rescue, but I can't take a dog home until the end of April so I don't want to look too closely.  I'm afraid I'll fall in love with a dog, but won't be able to adopt because of that.  It's also a little more difficult to find a rescue that will fit in with our family - we want a young adult that gets along with young kids and other animals.  I know it's possible - we rescued our cat from a rescue group in NJ and she's great. 
jle

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »

Ok, after talking with my husband extensively, we've decided to go for a rescue.  There are just too many adorable dogs that need homes.  Any advice on how far in advance I should look?  When we adopted our cat, it took a couple months before we were able to pick her up.  I'm not sure if that's normal or not.  Thanks!
MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 03:21:21 PM »

Excellent!  I'm so happy that you've decided to save a life!  Great decision.  Good luck!

Luana
New Hampshire
EXPERT

Bichon.ca

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 11:51:52 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't remember how long the process was for us.  A couple months, I think.  I would go on line and check out the dogs and see if one matches your needs, then get in touch with the rescue and go from there.  They are very nice to work with and I'm sure they can accommodate you and your time line.

Thank you Del, love it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: