Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 24, 2019, 06:54:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi from Massachusetts!  (Read 3654 times)
jle

« on: November 25, 2013, 12:40:20 PM »

Hi everyone! 
  I just wanted to introduce myself.  My name's Jaime and I live in Central Massachusetts.  My family and I have been talking about getting a new dog for a few years now.  I'm in graduate school, so the timing has not been right.  But I graduate in May, with classes ending in April, so recently I started searching for the "perfect" dog for us.  It seems like a Bichon would fit into our lives beautifully.  I love affectionate dogs who need lots of attention.   I have 2 boys, who will be 5 and 8 this winter, who want a dog to play with.  They are almost as excited as I am.

I'm trying to plan this out.  Ideally, I would get our dog at the end of April.  I won't start work until July at the earliest, but most likely it will be the beginning of August.  That way, I would have several months to be home with him/her.  When I start work my schedule will be 3 12-hour shifts a week.  My parents are retired, so I spoke with them.  We grew up with dogs, but my parents don't want to commit full time to a new dog.  However, they would love to watch the dog during the day while I'm at work (which is when they watch my kids as well). 

I know plans don't always work out.  I have no preference for a puppy or a rescue dog, I am more concerned with trying to time this out right.  I want to start searching now, but I know if I do that, I'll find our Bichon but not be able to buy/adopt now.  If I wait until the late spring, I'm worried that I won't be able to find one.  I won't be able to take time off of work when I first start, so if I don't get a dog in the spring/early summer I feel that I"ll have to wait until next year.  I definitely want to be able to be home at first when we bring our dog home.

In the meantime, I'm reading up on Bichon care and grooming and making lists of everything I'll need to buy.  Also, reading through all the posts here and living vicariously through you all.  Hopefully I'll be posting pictures in the summer!

~Jaime
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »

Welcome, Jaime!

Planning and researching are the best way to find a dog which will fit in with your lifestyle.  When I first read that you were graduating soon, my thought was, 'Yes but then you will be working and will not be home."  You have already considered that, and have the parents lined up!  Good for you.

If you haven't already found it, the Bichon Information Station has plenty of good info for you:
http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/

And if you are looking for a rescue, Small Paws Recsue may be a place for you to browse and see the dogs they have available.  You may want to consider a dog about age 2, already house trained?  Just a thought. 

Glad to have you with us!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 04:52:15 PM »

Hi Jaime.  Welcome to the forum.  My name is MaryEllen and I also live in Massachusetts (Attleboro).  I have 2 bichon girls: Mattie and Sassy.  I should warn you that bichon puppies are nearly a full time job.  They are a lot like having an infant that you need to have eyes on all the time.  They are very energetic and attention seeking is nearly constant.  It may be easier for you to get a young adult rescue.  If you do opt for a puppy, don't get one younger than 12 weeks so it will have learned some social skills from the mother and siblings.  Read up on puppy behavior and training ahead of time so you are ready to hit the ground running.  I did so much better with my second girl, Sassy, because I made all my mistakes with Mattie and learned what not to do.  Good luck to you!  Oh, my bichons were not bred in MA, but my sister has one from Pups Unlimited (Charlene Bessette).  Lucy (the bichon) is very good natured, hearty, and great with kids.  So if you haven't found a breeder yet, that is one you might consider.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »

I would NEVER recommend Charlene, she is not a reputable breeder.  She does not allow you to meet the parents, she over breeds her females, and she continues to use a breeding pair even though they have produced several puppies with heart defects.  She does not show her dogs or otherwise work to improve the breed (sign of a reputable breeder). 

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 07:16:26 PM »

Welcome to the group,and well done for doing your research.Its great your parents can help you out.Alison

jle

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »

Thanks everyone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: