Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 22, 2019, 05:44:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What shampoo(s) do you use on your fluffs?  (Read 10883 times)
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« on: September 12, 2013, 10:05:16 PM »

It's time to buy shampoo again and as I look online I see so many to choose from so I thought I'd ask you, what shampoo products do you use?
I just finished a bottle of Wahl oatmeal shampoo I bought months and months ago, It was highly concentrated so it lasted forever. I bought it as is said it was good for dogs with sensitive skin and since Luigi can be prone to skin irritations I figured it would be a good choice. It was good, didn't cause itching if I diluted it enough and made sure I rinsed, rinsed and rinsed, but since most oatmeal shampoos are yellow based as was this one, I found that their hair was not always the brightest and with time developed a yellowish tint. I find green shampoos I have used in the past do the same.
Also, do you use conditioner? I have on occasion, but generally I don't, I just rub some cowboy magic through the damp hair and brush and blow dry.

Thank you Alison!
bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:13:51 PM »

I've never heard of the Cowboy Majic before so looked it up.  That would be great during winter when it's dry and there is so much static electricity - will have to get some for Bullett.  I'm allergic to perservatives in products so have to buy those that don't break me out.  What I use on Bullett is Perfect Coat White Pearl Easy Rinse Formula and have been completely happy with it.  Its has a coconut scent that lasts a long time.  I've been able to bath him less since using this brand since it takes longer for the doggie smell to come back.  The bottle says it's shampoo & conditioner. 

Vicki
NOVICE

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:44:23 PM »

I use johnsons baby shampoo for Molly.  That combined with a grain free food stopped her constant itching. I tried the conditioner too but I found it dried her skin a bit. Going to order the cowboy magic when I'm home as iv heard great things about it here and Molly tends to get matts on her belly very easily as she's hates the feel of the brush in her belly/chest

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:18:38 AM »

I use Plush Puppy shampoo and conditioner.It doesn't contain any bleaching agents,but makes them sparkle like they have glitter on them.

I use Cowboy Magic too,its amazing.Alison

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 10:24:35 AM »

I buy my shampoo and conditioner from Pet Edge.  I use #1 All Systems Pure White Lightening Shampoo, and #1 All Systems Super Rich Protein Lotion Conditioner.  I do not use the shampoo / conditioner combination (they make one of those also). They are concentrated, I buy the gallon size which lasts me almost a year.  I have the bottles to do the dilution properly.  The conditioner has a detangler in it, which I need for these rescues.

Rinsing is critical.  Rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse, and then, rinse some more.  

The shampoo does have a bleaching agent; I only bathe about every 2 to 3 weeks, so far no issues.  In fact, I can usually tell when they NEED a bath as they start scratching.  Since we outside a LOT, at the farm, on the edge of the road (no sidewalks) they pick up plenty of dirt.  I think this is what gets them itching.

I have Cowboy Magic, but I don't find it helpful.  Could be due to mine being rescues, they do not tolerate grooming well at all (Oh how I envy Lizzie with her fluffs bathed regularly from puppy hood!).  Trying to work out a mat is about impossible, it has to be cut out and wait for the hair to grow back in.  The faster my dogs are DONE the happier we ALL are.  

Just be sure to RINSE all the shampoo, and then rinse all the conditioner.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:40:45 PM by Freedom (Sandie) » Logged

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »

I use Kelco Plum White Shampoo which I buy in the UK from Friends of Bichons in Rescue.  One bottle lasts me years - I don't tend to wash them very much  original
It is only for emergencies like mud!
Pam

Andrea
G.O.D.

Noah

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »

I try different shampoos- I tried Angel Eyes shampoo- it is soap free and it seems to work well.  I also like the Spa line of Shampoo and conditioners.  I have a question about the Cowboy Magic- do you put it on after the bath when they are wet?  Does it help with any mats?  Because I keep my dogs a little longer, I sometimes find a mat or two.  They are very tolerant fo my brushing it out- but with 3 to groom now, I am thinking that I may need to learn to use the clippers for their back and sides and I would think that they need to be mat free.  I will still keep the face and legs full.  It is just a lot of scissoring. 

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »

I have to laugh, not one duplicate, you all use different shampoos, this is the same as looking online so many to choose from.  Laughing
I was looking at the one Sandie mentioned as well as the Spa line that Andrea mentioned. The Spa line has many shampoos all for different things. I'm glad Sandie mentioned the #1 All Systems Pure White Lightening Shampoo, because I was thinking to buy it but not for regular use because of the bleach. Has anyone tried Espree products? http://www.renspets.com/hypo-allergenic-shampoo-20oz.html This is their  hypo allergenic product?

Thank you Alison!
Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 06:22:28 PM »

I have used so many over the years including the white lightening from Pet Edge.

For the last year I have been using the Earthbath all natural shampoos and getting them from Amazon.

Currently, I alternate between the Hypoallergenic and the Oatmeal and Aloe which really smells nice.  I am finally happy with a shampoo and the way it leaves Missy's skin and coat.

I chose it because of the great reviews which you can check  HERE

fluffbath

Thanks Del
Wilmot
NOVICE

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 12:25:34 PM »

I am following this thread. I do not bathe Kallie myself as I do not really have a space to do it efficiently. She has been itching quite a bit and I do ask the groomer to use a hypo allergenic shampoo but she still scratches. The vet prescribed Benadryl but we haven't tried that yet (need a pill cutter first). I am going to ask the groomer if I can buy a shampoo and have her use it.

PS: Yes it is pricey to have the groomer bathe her every couple of weeks but we do what we have to do.

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 01:11:04 PM »

Susan, I have tried the Earthbath shampoo. I am not sure if I liked it or not as I have tried many but for one reason or the next try something different the next time. I should probably revisit that brand.

Andrea, the Cowboy Magic can be used on dry or wet hair. If I notice any matting during regular brushing I would put a dab just on that spot and work it out with a comb. My two get very few mats as I am an avid brusher, however, having said that Lia tends to get wee tangles on her fine sparse under belly and she is very sensitive so if you catch one with a comb she FREAKS!!!!! It seems since I apply Cowboy Magic after their bath they don't seem to get many tangles with regular brushing and outdoor activity. I bath them, towel dry, then take nickle sized dabs and work it through the different parts of the body, starting in places I know get tangled, like behind the ears from scratching, under pits from harnesses, belly, butts and tails. I then just blow dry and brush.

Judy, have you tried changing Kallies food? Sandie mentioned to me some time ago that high protein foods can cause protein itch.

Speaking of food! When grooming the fluffs I give them little breaks and treats. I have these small soft treats, don't know the name off hand, but they are a quality treat as that is all I buy. The night before I also had a leftover hot dog so I cut up some small pieces and gave some to the fluffs. Wouldn't you know it, the day after the bath Luigi had mucus in his stool again with a little blood!  frustrated That boy is so sensitive. I don't know if it was from too many treats or the hotdog, or the combination, as I have never given him hotdog before. Sad  Anyway I bought some pumpkin and mixed it in a LID food, so now both my clean white fluffs have ORANGE FACES!!!!!   Mad

Thank you Alison!
Wilmot
NOVICE

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »

Yes, Lin I do remember something about a high protein food, but I don't know what is considered high. Kallie is on Performatrin Ultra Grain Free. The bag says crude protein in 37%. Is that high, medium or low?

I tried giving Kallie the Benadryl hidden in a piece of cheese...........well I guess I didn't hide it too well, it ended up on the floor and I  got a look that said "What are you trying to put over on me!" I guess I'll have to think of something else!

Lin, what is LID food?

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 02:40:01 PM »

Judy, LID stands for a Limited Ingredient Diet. It has one meat protein and basic carb ingredients and can be grain free. Wellness makes one, Natural Balance, I think even Blue Buffalo. We use the d**k Van Patten's Natural Balance. I do have to use a dental Rx food for Lia and her teeth and Luigi eats it too as that is the only way I can get Lia to eat it, but every 2nd or 3rd bag I switch back to the LID as Luigi clearly does better on it. We use the Sweet Potato and Fish, they both love it. It doesn't get the best ratings on the Dog Food Analysis charts  (3 out of 5)  because of the one low protein, but it works for us.
Your food at 37% crude protein is high and really causes both my fluffs to scratch. The LID I am feeding now is only 21% protein and I think their dental food is about 24%.

Thank you Alison!
Wilmot
NOVICE

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 02:50:57 PM »

Thanks Lin, looks like I'll have to do some research.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 02:55:51 PM »

. Has anyone tried Espree products? http://www.renspets.com/hypo-allergenic-shampoo-20oz.html This is their  hypo allergenic product?
i used the Espree brand oatmeal and baking soda for Willy for 8 to 10 months when he first arrived.  He had extensive skin yeast infection and needed bathing twice a week at least to help him heal, along with the medication.  Espree is a good brand.

Luigi's issue could have been either the hotdog, the treats, the mix of the 2 or too many of all.  With the sensitive ones, it is so critical to monitor every thing they ingest!  

I did try Earthbath, Mary Ellen gave me some samples.  I didn't have any problem with it.  Just stick to my usual if it works and don't like to risk change.

Judy, for my fluffs 37% protein would be much too high. I use Earthborn Holistics, they have 3 grain free formulas, and the Meadow Feast is 26% protein.  http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/dog_formulas/meadow_feast/guaranteed_analysis.php

Tony is new to me (he arrived July 31st), I've been waiting for his coat and skin to recover.  Seems he has food allergies, he is constantly nibbling his front feet.  thumbdown  I am hoping this is the treat I use -- my RB Sugar was allergic to fish, and the treat I use for their morning and bedtime is a salmon base.  So I've bought a sweet potato formula (same brand) and will see if this helps him.  I HATE sorting out food allergies!  So much trial and error, and in a multipet home it gets a bit crazy!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: