Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 17, 2019, 03:50:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ELgin and eyes  (Read 8423 times)
elgin

« on: July 31, 2013, 06:16:20 PM »

Crying Hi as i am new to these delicious fluffys i was wondering if any of you lovely people could answer a couple of questions.
How do all your lovely fluffys have nice eyes, Elgings are very stained underneath, can i prevent this.? Also i feed him twice a day in the morning he has natures diet wet food and at tea time he has dried. He does seem to have a lot of poos, is this normal, sorry if i sound daft lol. crazy.Thankyou.
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »

These are the things which help prevent tear stains:
- grain free food and treats
- food and treats with no beets, no tomato
- stainless steel bowls for food and water
- filtered water.  Depending upon your water source, you may need to buy distilled water.  Some water is very high in iron and other minerals.  What goes in must come out, and some of it comes out via the tear ducts.
- puppies will have tear stains until they stop teething and have all their adult teeth; this is at about age 8 months.  Until then, just gently wipe the eyes daily.
- while some folks use Angel Eyes, be cautious.  This contains low dose antibiotics.  Use it long term and the dog can become immune to the antibiotic, which is a problem when the dog gets sick and need antibiotics.

I know you are in UK; I can't remember the food brands for your country.  I do know Denes is a high quality food:  http://denes.co.uk/dog-food

I'm sure others who live in UK will be along to give you ideas for specific brands to look for.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:05:44 PM »

Sandie has given you good advice so I will just reiterate .... Elgin is a puppy, so wait until he is mature, feed him a quality puppy food and in the meantime wipe his eyes daily with a moist clean cloth. You can also clip the hair in the corner of his eyes, keeping it short.

Personally I never dealt with tear staining. My one pup "supposedly" came from a stain free line and my other one just never had staining. shrug  Different food, water or dishes make no difference with my two with regard to staining, however they both get chunks of dark eye crusties that have to be wiped from the corners of their eyes daily so I just take care of this daily when I wash their faces.

Thank you Alison!
MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »

Eye drool!  Babies drool when they teeth and puppies drool from their eyes.  Both of mine did it until about 10 months old.  Now I see it once in awhile if they get an unusual treat, but it is pretty much under control. 

bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:08:49 PM »

Like Lin's pups Bullett only gets the daily dried stuff in the corners of his eyes.  I clean them daily and he has very little staining. I have noticed when his hair gets into his eyes they get more goop in the corners or if he's been outside all day with lots of allergens (he wheezes and sounds like he has asthma when rooting in the compost pile) he has more problems.  I've heard all the things Sandie mentioned will keep their saliva from staining around their mouths too.  Then there was my former Lhasa who had blocked tear ducts.  When they are blocked the tears have to drain from the inside corner of the eye rather than into the lower ducts.  They can surgically open them up but generally block again so we never had his ducts done.  I just wet a cotton ball and cleaned them daily and his eyes didn't stain very much.  Next time you are at the Vet you might see if there is anything medical causing the staining.   Hope you get it figured out!   Kay

elgin

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 03:35:07 AM »

Thankyou you all for your reccommendations, who new having a fluffy would raise so many questions  LOL! :thanks:l and i have had other dogs before. x
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:30:44 AM »

You have had some really good advice already I think.  It is worth looking at old treads using the search facility on the boards because there is loads of really useful stuff.  You'll find the eye and staining related threads under health I think (but might also be something under grooming).
Good luck
Pam

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »

Sandie has given you great advice.I feed Abby Burns food and I find it really good for Abby.

I found things got much worse when Abby was teething,she had terrible staining,no matter what I did.It soon cleared up afterwards though.Alison

jokey

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »

my hettie had terrible tear stain from a puppy, and we tried everything, for the past 4 weeks we have been putting a cap full of cider vinegar in her water and it has done wonders, her eyes are 80 % better.

a puppy can grow out of it, plus agree will all other comments good quality food, filtered water etc - i am in the uk and feed mine dry wainwrights in the morning and wet wainwrights, natures diet, natures best for tea x

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »

Sandie has given you great advice.I feed Abby Burns food and I find it really good for Abby.

I found things got much worse when Abby was teething,she had terrible staining,no matter what I did.It soon cleared up afterwards though.Alison
We feed Burns as well.  It is a super, quality food
Pam

Audra

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 10:12:09 AM »

Hello, I'm new to th7s forum and to Bichons, there has been a lot off good advice here. My Bichon Loki is just 13 weeks old, we've had her since she was 8 weeks, she is also my first puppy.  My main concern has been her tear staining, which is streaming, but it makes perfect sense that it could be because she's teething.  I had already been cleaning her eyes 2/3 times a day and trimming the fur around them. I will be changing her to bottled water as there is a high iron content where I live, I can taste it myself! There is also a really good article under grooming by a vet I believe, which I am so glad I read as I was going to buy Angel Eyes!! I too live in the UK and I feed Loki on Naturesdiet and James Wellbeloved....Thank you all for your advice and comments, loving this forum..

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 01:28:11 PM »

Hi Audra

Start a nwe thread in Meet and Geet, and introduce yourself and Loki.  We want to give you both a welcome!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »

I am not sure about wet foods?  I like the crunch' of dry food for bichons teeth ( many do have teeth issues).  And James Wellbeloved is not, as far as I am aware, ethically friendly, so I personally would not use it.  
http://crueltyfreecottage.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/pet
A good quality dried food with minimal additives may help with staining. Used Burns for 13 years and it is excellent.
All the other advice that you have had re bowls etc is really good.
Good luck
Pam

Edited to add - we wipe with an Optrex solution of cotton wool which is good for cleaning the eyes
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:27:36 PM by pam » Logged

Audra

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »

Hello again, sorry for the delay, Loki has been quite poorly :-( she either ate something outside that upset her tummy (she's like a hoover!) Or she has a sensitive tummy :-( we have been back and forwards to the vets for the last week+......the vet was quite worried......her results all came back negative though, so nothing really nasty, which was a relief....so she is now on a chicken and rice diet mixed with Hills I.d. gastrointestinal wet food from the vet, which she will now be on for a couple of months......once she is allowed to eat normally again I will swap to Burns :-) thank you for that advice. I have switched her bowls and she is how drinking mineral water, I have noticed a difference in her tear staining, which also coincidently could of been that she was unwell....she has put a nice lot of weight on, on this diet, she was under weight when we got her.....I would love to show you a picture of her, she is so cute, but I seem to be having trouble knowing how to do it, and I am computer literate,  although I never used photo shop.  I would also like an opinion on how she looks, as I am having a lot of doubt about the person I bought her from, I so wish I knew about this forum before I bought her.   I did research and knew that I should see the puppies with their mother which I did, I have five generations of pedigree for the mother, but on double checking and poring over my paperwork (which I will check again) I don't seem to have any information on the father....and since we have been out and about, 3 people now have asked me if she's a poochon!!! Not that it matters now as I love her dearly, but I now keep looking at her and thinking her nose is too narrow, judging by all your pics...although it could just be because I keep cutting her fur around her face to try and keep it short and clean ...... sorry for waffling lol...... first ever puppy nerves, don't know what I'm doing and I'm probably over googling lol....thanks for your patience x

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 11:40:22 AM »

Audra

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 03:48:54 PM »

Thank you so much Pam, I think indeed he is a back yard breeder!! Loki is getting better everyday and we are now out walking........well, trying to lol ....I will get my son to try and help me with the pics x

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 06:37:51 AM »

I'm sorry she's been ill and don't worry about fussing,these little ones make us worry and we all do it.One great thing about the group is you will always find someone who has had the same problem and will help you.

I'm glad to hear she's picking up now.If you can't post a pic just email it to me and I'll do it for you.Alison

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: