Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 19, 2019, 03:56:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bring the Dog Home  (Read 18228 times)
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2013, 04:21:40 PM »

He was just stressed and lost control of himself .All this is scary and new for him.It'll take time for him and you to settle together . Once you do , it'll get better and better.He ran around and jumped on you as he was so thrilled and relieved you'd come home.He hasn't yet learned you will come home and not leave him forever.

You are so lucky that he loves you coming back so much.

Just think of all the changes and experiences he has had in the last few days and in his short life.

They often poo and pee from stress,but never spite.I found Abby was better with her pen door left open and a pee pad on a tiled floor behind a gate.

Please never use the pen as a punishment.He will hate it and associate it with bad things and you'll have to abandon it.Abby loves her crate as its a safe place full of comfort and nice memories.

Alison

susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2013, 05:47:28 PM »

your furbaby isn't mad or spiteful.......He's terrified and anxious and had an accident.  He may have held it on the plane for nine hours but I'll bet he flew on an empty stomach.   Bichon's have small bladders.  You say you took him out this morning.
Did you also take him out after you fed him.  You may want to attach an Xpen to the outside of the crate and put a puppy pad there in case he can't hold it.  --or cordan off an area with a babygate and puppy pads.   
   As the others have said, that crate should represent all things good and safe........(I give the best treats in there and very rarely close the door)  They've always gone in there on their own.....

Remember he wants nothing more than to please you.  It will just take some time for you both to learn each other's language.  Try not to get too frustrated.   There is much joy and love to come! inlove

susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2013, 07:57:02 PM »

Just wanted to add....... From your earlier posts you seemed conflicted about puppy pads and confusing your furbaby.  Adopting a two year old partially housebroken, I was and am in a similar position. 
I had never used pads with my puppys and they were housebroken very quickly.   But I am also remembering a few Pennsylvania winters with wiith over three feet of heavy snow and storms within a weeks of each other........having to dig out the door, deck and area to potty.......
Add to that the fact most bichons don't like to go in the rain-------

Anyway, I'm starting to like the fact that Olivia is puppy pad trained........ as long as most of the pottying is done outside.   I'm using the four paws jumbo wee wee pads from amazon as well as the extra large size.   For me any smaller and she misses the pad.  (she hugs the edges).  And I get more uses out of that size.  I've tried some other brands but they soak right through.

i'm thinking even though it may take longer and be a little confusing, it may be advantageous for you to have the pads considering that you work and the weather in the northeast......

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2013, 10:13:12 PM »

How are you and your boy doing now?
I hope you have the day off work tomorrow and have a few days to spend just getting to know each other as it is going to take some time to get him settled, maybe months. His eating and toilet routines have been all messed around, he needs to go for long walks, have long naps, eat meals at regular times and learn to trust you to come back and love him. Please be patient, you will see what a great companion he will be, but it takes love and understanding. Ignore the bad and praise the good, he is a good boy, not spiteful.
Please let us know how your are both doing and if you have any questions we are here to help.  comfort

Thank you Alison!
Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2013, 12:47:10 AM »

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience when you got home  sad Don't give up though! 
Both rescues I am familiar with have had bathroom issues until my sister and mom figured out their schedule.  They now have a schedule that works best for all of them. 
For instance ... Rico (5 years old - rescued at 3) will only poop on walks.  And will run away if he hasn't had his walk - or will hide in the house and do his business.  It took a while to figure out what time of day he needed walked and how frequently. 

Don't give up.  He's confused and you are both learning.  I know how it is being particular about your space, and cleanliness.  I know when either of mine have an accident inside I get irritated because of the mess. But once you learn and he learns too, you will have less messes I think  original
It just takes time.

On the issue of playing ... this also takes time.  Leave the toys out and he may surprise you and want to play sometime.  Both of my parent's dogs did not like toys at first.  Rico has lived with them for 2+ years and still doesn't care of toys and won't play, but Zoey has warmed up to them and will play every once and a while.  I know neither of mine will play or take treats when they are stressed, so he may still need to settle.

Good luck  original I hope that things are getting easier.

Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »

Don't stress too much it is very early days for both of you.  Max was three years old when we got him and we had some housetraining issues in the early weeks as well until we settled into a routine that works for all of us (or some would say until Max taught us the routine that worked for him  nodding ) .  There may be some trying days ahead but it will all be worth it.

I have to agree with the not using his crate as punishment.  The idea of it is to be their den, their safe place so you don't want him to have any negative feelings attached to it.

Although I suggested leaving things the same initially to give him time to adjust if accidents are going to be really stressful for you then it may be best to start with puppy pads right away to avoid the upset to both of you.

Not sure why you thought he was "pissed" when you came home.  Running around and jumping on you doesn't necessarily equal upset.  Max does this every time when we return home and he's just happy to see us.  Doesn't matter if we've been gone an hour or at work for 8 hours, we get the same reaction.  Sometimes he's still bouncing with excitement as we try to get the harness on to take him for a walk. 

As for playing, Max doesn't really play either.   If he's got a bone he might toss is around but otherwise he was never interested in balls, stuffed toys, chew toys  no    Then a few years ago we did a secret santa exchange and Gabby & Ella sent him a stuffed sheep and he loves it.  He will carry it around, toss it around, take it upstairs when we go to bed.  It's the cutest thing and there is a photo thread on here. Bought some other toys that were similar but no dice.  I thought I might have to get Lorraine to send another from New Zealand but actually stumbled on one in a pet store here one day.  It doesn't make the same noise but looks the same on the outside so now we have at least too.  Anyway, my point was not to worry about him not "playing" as you thought he might.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: