Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 20, 2019, 04:22:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bring the Dog Home  (Read 17648 times)
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »

I can't wait to see him home with you.Please don't forget to take pics.Alison

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »

Darwin came by plane from Iowa to San Francisco when he was a pup, and he survived! My husband picked him up, but he didn't really need much other than a hug. He rode on his lap the whole way home (not recommending that) and wouldn't leave his side for days.

BeauBichon

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 07:42:15 PM »

I got him.  He's cute but it's a little scary TBH!  He started barking when I left him in his carrier in the room.  I need to get an actual crate tomorrow because the carrier probably feels like a prison cell.  I'm just afraid the barking will annoy the neighbors. . . 

Otherwise, we walked around the neighborhood.  He pooped after finding his preferred spot LOL.  He seems good so far but I know it's going to take him a little time to get to know me. 
Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »

I'm just catching up on this  original Congratulations! I'm sure he is happy to have a place to rest after his journey!

Can't wait to see pictures!

bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 08:12:14 PM »

Glad he arrived safely.  It won't take him any time at all to realize he has a home now.  Here is the kind of crate I use http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom/index.jsp?productId=2753745
I cover it so it feels more like a den and have used it as a night stand in the past. 

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 09:32:12 PM »

Many Bichons are barkers, try not to go to him when he barks, but only when he settles or he will learn that barking makes you come to him.
I hope the two of you are enjoying your 1st night together.  Boy-on-cloud9

Thank you Alison!
Andrea
G.O.D.

Noah

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 10:03:03 PM »

I am just catching up on this post. How exciting that you have rescued a furbaby and he is now with you. Can't wait to see pictures and hear all about the start of your furever life together.  Congratulations- you are in for the best time of your life.

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 04:14:11 AM »

I'm glad he's safely home. He's had a very eventful day ,I'm sure he'll relax and be calmer soon.Alison

Wilmot
NOVICE

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2013, 08:00:44 AM »

Congrats to you both and Yes, we need pictures!

BeauBichon

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 08:03:02 AM »

OK, so I don't think he slept last night! LOL.  I'm a light sleeper so I could hear him moving around.  I got up at 4am and let him out of the carrier then tried to lay back down.  He was laying down on the floor but as soon as the alarm went off, he was up.  He follows me everywhere LOL.  Even when I set his food down and walk away, he eats a bit, then runs to find me to make sure I'm still there.  

I took him out before feeding him and he pooped.  He did NOT go in his carrier at all and no accidents inside.  So it seems like he can hold it for at least 9-10 hours and knows not to poop/pee inside.  

The only issue is after I fed him and got dressed to leave he started barking up a storm!  Since I live in an apartment, I can't have that.  I don't want the neighbors to start complaining.  *sigh*  Not sure what to do about that because he always follows me so I know he doesn't like being alone.  I left the window open and put the radio on but it didn't help.  Someone who lives in my building with a dog assured me this was normal and to give it time.

Yes, pics coming soon.  I will have a break after work today and tomorrow so I can post some. 
BeauBichon

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2013, 08:05:35 AM »

Also, he doesn't seem to be into playing LOL.  I tried tossing a ball to him but he got bored with that fast.  I tried the twisty rope but he didn't play with it.  He didn't seem to like the stuffed green dinosaur I got him either.  I guess he's still figuring me out.  He does listen to some commands (ie sit) but not consistently.  I know I have to be patient.
bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2013, 08:30:51 AM »

I follow a routine when getting ready to leave for work.  When Bullett knows it's getting close to the time for me to walk out the door, he hops up on the foot stool and waits patiently for his treat.  I started him off on those dried chicken strips since it takes longer for him to eat them.  Since he is so food driven, he looks forward to me leaving so he can have his treat!  If you have a recorder, you can see how long he barks after you leave.  I've always taped mine to see what they do when I'm gone.  Bullett doesn't nap when I'm home so seems to enjoy the rest when I leave.  Good luck today not worrying about him while you are gone.

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »

Also, he doesn't seem to be into playing LOL.  I tried tossing a ball to him but he got bored with that fast.  I tried the twisty rope but he didn't play with it.  He didn't seem to like the stuffed green dinosaur I got him either. 
Interestingly non of mine play.  Poppy wll chew on a squeaky toy but the rest don't even bother with that.
It will take both of you time to get settled.  Enjoy
Pam

BeauBichon

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 03:37:51 PM »

I'm so upset! I came home and immediately let him out the crate. He was pissed and started running around then jumping up on me. I get him some water and just as I'm about to take him out he poops ALL over my carpeted floor!!! I know he did it because he was mad!!! So I "punished" him by putting him back in the crate. I'm sorry if i sound cruel but I don't like this at all. Maybe I made a mistake!!! Crying
bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 04:11:50 PM »

How many times did you go to the bathroom from the time you left home until you came back?  He didn't get the opportunity to go, or exercise and was scared and in a new place.  Taking care of a dog is not an easy task at times but confining him to the tiny cage is not the answer.  Just put yourself in his position to understand what he is going through.  I come home for lunch and let Bullett out for a potty break.  He's got free run of the house minus the bedrooms.   Dogs do not do things out of spite.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: