Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 20, 2019, 04:05:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bring the Dog Home  (Read 17647 times)
BeauBichon

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 03:04:43 PM »

Will it be too soon to give him a bath or take him to the groomer 2 days after he gets home?  I don't want to upset him but I'm finicky about cleanliness and want him to get a good cleaning since he was in a kennel with other dogs. 
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »

I'd be the same. I've never had a rescue dog,but I bathed Abby as soon as she came back when she was a baby.She had had a bath with the breeder,but she still smelled a bit of the litter.

Alison

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »

I would have thought 2 days is a bit quick for groomers to be honest.  You want the bichon to have the chance to settle before you introduce still more new experiences to him.  It will be very strange for him just making the move from foster care.  Mind I am trying to think back as to when our arrived and I really cannot remember how long we gave it.
Good luck anyway
Pam

BeauBichon

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »

Thanks Alison and Pam.  I will probably just do a gentle wash myself then and wait a bit for the groomers.  Then I'll wrap him up in a towel for cuddle time. Smiley  Hopefully he won't fight too much.
BeauBichon

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 07:18:19 PM »

Well, tomorrow is the big day! swing  I'm excited and nervous. 

I still need a bed/pad but I'm not sure what size crate he's coming in so I wanted to wait to get that.  I'm also on the fence about getting a wellness plan (ie Banfield) or actual pet insurance.  I am leaning towards the wellness plan because at least I would be using the services I pay for whereas with insurance, I may not.  Then again, I also heard that paying for preventive services as I go is probably not as expensive as the cost of the wellness plan.  Decisions decisions!  I will try to post pics over the weekend!
MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 09:05:10 PM »

Personally, I would have the groomer do his first bath.  He is likely used to a groomer doing him.  You want to be his "safe" person for now and not do anything that might cause him anxiety.  If you bathe him, you could set your relationship back.  He will not realize that you are responsible for his bath if a groomer does it.  See it from the dog's view and not the human view.  Best wishes tomorrow!

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 10:41:13 PM »

I agree with Mary Ellen.  You should not be giving him the bath until he has had time to bond with you.  That could be 2 weeks, or more, depends how shy he is.

I bet you won't sleep much tonight, so exciting!!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 11:14:31 PM »

Good point Mary Ellen!  thumbsup
How exciting that you get him this weekend!!! Does "he" have a name, or did I miss that????
I'm looking forward to pictures!!!  yahoo

Thank you Alison!
BeauBichon

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 07:28:33 AM »

I'm still deciding on his name!  I have a list and am trying to narrow down.

OK, I'll hold on a bath for now. . .but I'll at least wipe/wash his feet and bottom LOL.  Hopefully that's a fair compromise Smiley  And maybe his foster did that before shipping him off this morning.  We'll see.

I slept pretty fine although I'm up early--actually I'm surprised at how calm I've been about everything.  I just feel a peace about it.  Maybe it was just meant to be. 

You all were a big help in this and other threads so a huge THANK YOU.
BeauBichon

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 07:30:01 AM »

Also, I'm glad I called Delta about the flight this morning since they said it's usually 2 hours from when they land to when you can claim them.  *sigh* That will put me into rush hour traffic on the way home.  I'm just going to get there early and hope I can take him and get out of there.  We'll see. . .
bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 07:41:57 AM »

Congratulations on your big day!  You get to become a 'parent' today and it will change your life for the better.   Every dog (puppy or rescue) that has come into my house has been bathed right away and it didn't cause any problems.  They probably just thought I was the groomer so accepted it.  Since your pup is flying he might get an upset stomach or soil the crate and you'll need to clean him up.  You know we'll expect pictures later in the day!!!!   nodding

BeauBichon

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 11:02:45 AM »

So, I just tracked my "package" LOL.  He was checked into his first flight and the flight is on schedule, due to land shortly.  I will check on his connecting flight in a couple hours. 

bKay, you make a good point.  If he's soiled, he's getting a bath LOL.
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 11:52:49 AM »

cheerleader How exciting!!! Take him a drink of water!!!
Where is he coming from? Connecting flights? Poor fella!

Thank you Alison!
BeauBichon

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »

cheerleader How exciting!!! Take him a drink of water!!!
Where is he coming from? Connecting flights? Poor fella!

I was going to bring him a few treats to break the ice.  My understanding is they give the pets food and water in their crates but I will bring a little just in case I need to refill his bowl/bottle.  LOL, yes, he's connecting from the midwest in Georgia before he gets to me in the Northeast.  Hopefully he's comfortable and not too scared. 
susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »

This is so exciting......You won't believe how full your heart can be........

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: