Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 20, 2019, 09:06:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bring the Dog Home  (Read 18234 times)
BeauBichon

« on: June 22, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »

So, I'm considering getting a 2 year old who according to his foster mom has good habits.  He goes outside and enjoys spending time in his crate.  However, since I will be bringing him into a new environment, should I crate him the first night and when I leave the apartment or let him loose and see what he does?  I don't want to establish any bad habits early but I don't want to disrupt his routine too much and create confusion.  I would like to introduce him to pads so he can relieve himself in doors if he needs to.  But again, I have read that this can create confusion.  However, he's not a young puppy either. . .Thoughts?

A big THANK YOU for your help.  Hopefully, I will get a handle on all of this soon.  I am doing a ton of research so I appreciate your help.  nodding 
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:28:06 PM »

My initial thought is that the change to you and your home will be enough and that you should keep whatever other routines of his that you can so if he's used to being crated at night and/or when no one is home then at least initially I would continue those things.  Once he is used to his new home then you could work on changing to routines that you might prefer.

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »

A two year old with good habits sounds WONDERFUL!!!  thumbup However, when you get him home, your idea of good habits and his actions may be two different things.  Laughing
I would listen to what the foster mom says carefully, and like Debbra mentioned, stick as close to his routine as possible, crating him at night and while you are away. As he settles you can change his routine to better suit yours.
Both my fluffs still sleep in their crate at night as that is what they prefer. If we travel and they don't have a crate or confinement they never settle.  no

Thank you Alison!
BeauBichon

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 09:02:12 PM »

LOL Lin :lol:

I will do what you both suggest and follow up with foster mom again for his routine.  After seeing some pics online, I like the idea of starting by letting him out of the crate in the bathroom only (using the crate to block the way--hopefully he won't just hop over it) and then work our way up to more space in the apartment.  I'm still on the fence about whether to pad train him as well. . .I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I'm looking at crates/pads online now!  Much cheaper to get on Amazon than at the petstore but I will have to order soon for it to get here in time.
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 09:48:52 PM »

Just so you know, you never put a pad in the crate, especially of an older dog as dogs should never go in the crate, they like to keep it clean.
With a two year old he should be able to hold his urine for HOURS! I can't say how many, but once you get on a routine, taking him out for his walks regularly he should have no problem holding it for up to 6 hours easy.
My two go potty 1st thing in the morning, Luigi eats and usually  poop right after, but not Lia she eats much later and doesn't poop until we walk many hours later. If I have to go out ( I'm a stay at home mom) I take them for a walk allowing them to mark on every pole etc. then they are empty for hours while I am out during the day.
He is an adult dog, he can hold it for some time, so allow him time outside to do his business and within a few weeks you will both understand each other.

Thank you Alison!
Debbra
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »

Max was 3 years old when we got him and it has worked out wonderfully but not without some bumps along the way. Like you, we knew a puppy was not for us.   Hopefully the foster mom will be able to give you a blanket or other item from his crate there that you can put in his new crate at your home to ease the transition.  If he likes his crate as she says he will be happy to enter and see it as a safe place while adjusting to his new home.  Max was crated and is now limited to one room while we are out but has never slept in a crate at night.  The foster mom will be able to tell you what routine she had in place with your little guy.

BeauBichon

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:33:23 AM »

Just so you know, you never put a pad in the crate, especially of an older dog as dogs should never go in the crate, they like to keep it clean.

I meant to say one of those fleece beds/pillows, not a pee pad.  No peeing in the crate LOL.
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 05:10:12 AM »

That sounds so exciting,when is he coming home? Have you been able to meet him yet? Alison

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 08:25:35 AM »

No peeing in the crate LOL.
  thumbup That is the plan!
So, when do you think you'll get him, and when do you visit with him?

Thank you Alison!
BeauBichon

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 09:03:01 AM »

OK, so I woke up at 5am and checked my e-mail on my phone and the foster mom had responded to my last question.  I had told her that I wanted to think about it over the weekend but kept sending her questions.  This morning, I wrote her back that I wanted to adopt him!   yahoo The I went to Walmart (yes, at 5am! LOL) to get some more supplies.  I still need a brush and a bed for the crate, but I'll probably order online or worst case go to a local pet store.

So, I've never met him  unsure but foster mom sent me 2 additional pics at my request.  She also has a website so I know she isn't a scammer or a mill.  I also spoke with her on the phone and have been sending a barrage of e-mails LOL.  He seems to have been well cared for and at 2 years old, hopefully he'll be with me a looooonnnnggg time. 

BTW (and I probably should have said this sooner, LOL) he's supposedly a havanese!  I know they are cousins with the bichon but I (and his foster) don't think he's 100% havanese.  I think he's a havachon.  I will let you experts decide after I post pics.
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 09:24:14 AM »

Exciting!  Share photos, want to see NOW!  LOL

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 11:38:36 AM »

Is there any possibility of her selling you 'his' crate? The one he has been sleeping in for 2 years? (If I understand you correctly that he has). Darwin sleeps in a crate by choice and as long as we bring it, we can take him anywhere. It is comfortable and familiar. It sure would make the transition to your home easier if he had a familiar item like that, especially at night.

Also, baby gates are great for keeping fluffs confined to certain areas. You can get pressure mounted ones that don't require you to drill holes. Just make sure he's not a jumper and the height is sufficient.

Good luck!

BeauBichon

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »

Chris, his foster mom will be sending him with his crate.

Sandie, I will post pics as soon as I can!
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »

Aw,you sound so besotted already, lucky little boy . I look forward to "meeting " him online when you post pics.

It is so much easier for us in the UK to meet them first as we are a tiny country compared to the US.Alison

Daisy's Mom
Daisy and her mom Rosie!
ENTHUSIAST

Daisy Mae

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »

I agree with Debra !everything she said and others are right. once he's used to everything then give him a test to see if hes trust worthy yet. I bet hes a good boy!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: