Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 18, 2019, 04:47:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPDATE on abandoned Bichon ---> Zoey  (Read 6052 times)
Josselyn
NOVICE

« on: February 04, 2013, 07:33:27 PM »

Just back from the vet!  Zoey did so well on our outing!  Except for peeing in the office twice  Laughing  But it made it easy to get a urine sample  nodding

No bladder infection from what the vet could tell from the in office test.  If she doesn't improve we will get another sample to send off to test for crystals which the vet didn't expect.
Zoey is not fixed (couldn't find a scar) so could possibly be coming out of heat.  The vet expects that the little amount of scooting I saw was because she was uncomfortable/itchy. 

The vet expects she is between 2 and 3 years old.

We also we able to clip most of the mats off of her legs and tail.  I will work on her hind again this evening. 

She needs to be spayed and have a dental done.  I hadn't been able to get a good look in her mouth until the vet helped me ... it's pretty bad!  cry1  So sad! 
Zoey does not like to have her feet touched at all ... so I will have to work on that.  Lots of treats!  But she will get her nails trimmed when she has her dental and spay.

She was dewormed and given a parvo shot and we will do distemper and rabies in the coming weeks. 

We are still figuring out what is going to happen as far as her home.  I really love her and her personality comes out more and more every day, but it's pretty crazy here with two already.  If I wasn't in grad school and living in an apartment I might more seriously consider keeping her.  I just don't feel like I can do the best for her - she deserves the best.  It looks like we will have her through her recovery from her spay though.

Oh and we think she might be a mix of some sort.  Possibly Maltese/Bichon?  She's so small in stature, but shaped like a Bichon.  She could just be a small bichon though. 

I'm sure I found more out ... but that's basically it.  I will be need to start researching spays ... I'm so not used to having a girl around here!  original

Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »

Just had to share this picture I just snapped.  I have a pile of purses and bags that I haven't found a place for ... and this is where she chose to lay to get away from the boys (who are always in the mood for wrestling)

(Ignore the diaper ... still working on potty training!)

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

City Girl Living in the Suburbs

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:56:42 PM »

Thanks for the update!  I'm glad that Zoey was able to see the vet today and that the visit was productive. She is a young girl!

You are very kind for helping her get in the right condition to begin her proper life as a pampered fluff, either in your household or some place where she'll be the center of attention.

When is her spay and dental?  The recovery is a little longer for females, but the procedure isn't terribly invasive anymore and they only need to make a tiny incision. Of course, like with everything else, the boys get off easy! You'll probably want to get her a onesie and/or a boobooloon or other soft cone so she doesn't mess with her incision.

Even with all this vet care, I think its the dematting and a warm bath that will make her feel the best!

You are earning some great karma taking care of sweet little Zoey!  fluffflowers

She looks like a doll in her picture - getting ready for a future modeling career.

Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:04:23 PM »

Thanks Kelly  original

I was overwhelmed with all of the decisions when we were at the vet so I didn't make the appointment for her dental and spay, but it could be as soon as next week.  I am contacting a few people that may be interested in giving her a forever home and also keeping in touch with the rescue in town ... that will give me more of an idea of when her surgery will be  original

I will look for a onesie ... I'm sure she would like that a lot better than the cone.  I do have a soft one, but it still isn't vet comfortable.

She does have the all clear to play with Sumo and Kilo now.  The vet said she is over all healthy ... with the few things we are keeping an eye on.  We had kept them separated as much as possible, but it's nice that they can properly meet now.

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:29:59 PM »

Happy to hear the vet visit went well! I can't help but wonder where she's been in her young life, sad really.  sad
Zoey is very lucky she came in contact with you as her life will be so different for sure. Thanks for the update.  bouquet

Thank you Alison!
bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:40:29 PM »

Happy to hear a good report from the Vet.  Josselyn, you've got all boys and now a little girlie comes along and I see you've already got her in pink with purses!!!!    nodding  You might just flunk Rescue 101.    She's cute enough you shouldn't have trouble rehoming her - that is if you choose to.   K

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:53:43 PM »

wave Josselyn, I've been waiting for your update all day yesterday (my fluffmon). (not insinuating you're tardy wink1, just saying I'm emotionally vested in Zoey's fluff welfare/update)

It gladdens my heart that she's overall healthy swing.... that will certainly increase her chances of being adopted so much quicker/sooner Hug (as opposed to having some health condition sick; eg: a bladder infection that might recur and thus 'put off' potential adopters).

Love word the photo you included (she looks cute in her diaper! Wub)... a spot to get away from it all.... boys fluff fluff can be so rowdy Box sometimes! Laugh and Bounce  I imagine you're also updating your mom & sister.... showing them photos pictures too.  I'm sure they're seeing the "difference" already you've made since they saw her that "first" day sadangel after being rescued from the highway.

I've said it before and will say it again.... bless you Josselyn Hug for everything you're doing with/for Zoey fluff.  She's blessed to have you care for her.... interim as it may be.  Now onto the next "milestone"..... her dental & spay surgery.... so she may begin life anew in a heart forever home heart..... which whistling could very well be yours (not pressuring you or anything! Laughing)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:05:53 PM by EDDEL » Logged

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 11:07:10 PM »

thumbup  A photo and a good vet report!  What more do you need, Zoey?  Oh, you want da boys to stop wrestling?  Um, prolly not gonna happen. 

Josselyn, while she is under anesthesia, the things the vet / vet tech can do and usually at no cost:  clip nails, clean ears and clip ear hair.

Thank you for helping this pretty gal!!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 12:37:38 AM »

Thanks Lin, Kay, Del and Sandie  original

Happy to hear a good report from the Vet.  Josselyn, you've got all boys and now a little girlie comes along and I see you've already got her in pink with purses!!!!    nodding  You might just flunk Rescue 101.    She's cute enough you shouldn't have trouble rehoming her - that is if you choose to.   K
I really do love her and I hope that she goes to someone I know so I can keep tabs on her  nodding As much as I want to have her stay here forever I know it isn't right.  I have emailed a few people I know that would love having a little dog (even if they don't know it yet!  Laughing) So hopefully one of them falls in love with her too.  How could they not?!

wave Josselyn, I've been waiting for your update all day yesterday (my fluffmon). (not insinuating you're tardy wink1, just saying I'm emotionally vested in Zoey's fluff welfare/update)

It gladdens my heart that she's overall healthy swing.... that will certainly increase her chances of being adopted so much quicker/sooner Hug (as opposed to having some health condition sick; eg: a bladder infection that might recur and thus 'put off' potential adopters).

Love word the photo you included (she looks cute in her diaper! Wub)... a spot to get away from it all.... boys fluff fluff can be so rowdy Box sometimes! Laugh and Bounce  I imagine you're also updating your mom & sister.... showing them photos pictures too.  I'm sure they're seeing the "difference" already you've made since they saw her that "first" day sadangel after being rescued from the highway.

I've said it before and will say it again.... bless you Josselyn Hug for everything you're doing with/for Zoey fluff.  She's blessed to have you care for her.... interim as it may be.  Now onto the next "milestone"..... her dental & spay surgery.... so she may begin life anew in a heart forever home heart..... which whistling could very well be yours (not pressuring you or anything! Laughing)

Thank Del!  original
I was lucky today and had my mom as an extra set of hands at the vet.  She happened to be passing through Ellensburg where I live, so it worked out nicely.  All the information was overwhelming, so it was nice to have an extra set of ears  original 
And you are right ... I have been sending them lots of pictures!  nodding 

thumbup  A photo and a good vet report!  What more do you need, Zoey?  Oh, you want da boys to stop wrestling?  Um, prolly not gonna happen. 

Josselyn, while she is under anesthesia, the things the vet / vet tech can do and usually at no cost:  clip nails, clean ears and clip ear hair.

Thank you for helping this pretty gal!!

Yeah they boys aren't going to stop their rough housing any time soon!  original  She joined in a little today, but decided she would rather watch. 
I actually thought of your advice about the nail clipping, etc that I had read in a previous post  original So I talked to the vet about that today. She will have all of that done while she is under. 
It's really good advice!  I woundn't have thought about it myself  original

Sandie, in your experience with rescues I'm sure you have come across dogs that don't know how to play with toys, or don't like to?  Is there a way to get them to enjoy playing? 
We adopted my sister's dog when he was 3 and I think he was just very poorly socialized.  He doesn't like toys at all ... won't even pay attention to them.  Zoey seems the same.  She isn't scared of them or anything, but won't even sniff at them.  I want her to enjoy herself  original  (I hope that question makes sense)

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »

Tasha is a puppy mill rescue, and had no clue what to do with toys.  Her first year here, I had older dogs (Sugar, Lacey, Marlin) and they no longer played.  Once Willy arrived, she watched him and started playing with toys. It was funny as Tasha showed the lonely only how to REALLY play with toys -- with a play mate!! (Willy was the only dog in his first home, from age 8 weeks to age 7 years) Now Riley, she is a goof ball about toys!  She has both Tasha and Willy going bonkers with toys now!

Zoey needs time to adjust to your home, and she will observe the other dogs playing with toys and having fun, not being scared.  She will want to get in on that and give it a try.  They emulate the behaviors of the dogs they live with.

I also have a hand out on getting your dog to play with toys; I'll have to dig it out, scan it in and will post that.  I'll try to do that later today.

bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 11:45:41 AM »

Josselyn, I really think some just play with the toys to please us and not so much because they enjoy it! First we bring a new toy to them and make all the possitive sounds they are accustom to hearing when they please us so they play to please us.  My Westie only touched a toy to destuff (kill) it but loved playing fetch with his ball.  With the ball it was interaction between his human and him.  Bullett enjoys playing with toys but only when I'm here and recently he has become less interested in them.     You might try washing the stuffies to get the boy's scent off them and see if she is more interested or get her a new toy.  They see blue and purple colors almost the same as we do and yellow is a pale yellow. Almost everything else is colorless.   Bullett's favorite toys are #1 blue then #2 purple.  He basically ignores the rest.   Zoey may just need to get used to your home and feel secure before playing too.   K

Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 07:39:11 PM »

Thanks so much for the tips Sandie and Kay!  I did buy her a toy right before she got here thinking that she may not like to pay with the toys the boys have already claimed ... and can be a pit possessive over.  It was in her crate for the first couple of days.  The toy was in there because she needed to be in there for the first couple of days until we knew she was healthy.  After we got the all clear to have her out I was less vigilant over her crate and while Sumo and Kilo were running around wrestling and Zoey was laying in her bed Kilo ran in and got her toy that he had been eyeing  original
He plays the same game with Sumo ... runs and gets Sumo's favorite toy and drops it in front of him, then Kilo quickly grabs it and runs away. 
He did the same thing to Zoey ... she didn't care at all  original  But it was so cute to see him trying to play with her. 

They have gotten into a few chasing matches.  But I don't think Zoey is potty trained at all so we can't let her run around too much.  Just my luck ... I was happy about FINALLY getting Kilo potty trained (Zero accidents in weeks!) then Zoey finds us and isn't potty trained. 
***Any tips on potty training an older dog are more than welcome!*** 
We have the diapers, mostly because we thought she couldn't help it because of an infection, but that's not the case.  I do put a diaper on her when I want her to be able to play for a little while.

She is getting more playful as she gets more comfortable.  She played with my hand last night when I was on the phone and she attacked Joey's foot when he was playing a video game.  She bites ... but very gently in a playful way.
Her personality comes through more and more each day.  Which (as you all predicted) is making it harder and harder for me to think of her leaving. 

I have made a lit of things to ask people as we get closer to finding her a forever home.  And I have decided not to go through the rescue, because they want to find a foster home for her in the Seattle area.  So that would mean yet another home to get used to, and I don't think I could do that to her. 

Thanks for you continued support and advice!  This is all overwhelming, but knowing there are people around to get help from makes it so much easier!

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 08:51:44 PM »

Here is a link to the handout I have, teaching a dog to play

http://www.trainyourdogmonth.com/tips/playwithtoys.aspx

Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 08:58:54 PM »

Thanks, Sandie! I can already tell from skimming these that Step #1 is going to drive sumo and kilo nuts!  They hate when they know a toy is somewhere they can't reach  original
This will be very helpful!!

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »

Thats great news from the vet.The pic is beautiful and really shows how well you've done with her already.She's like a different dog,in looks and personality.Alison

jokey

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »

What a lovely little girl, well done for taking sure good care of her

jo

Briana
NOVICE

Fluffs: Coke & Pepsi

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 05:32:22 AM »

Zoey is so lucky to have you Josselyn

THANK YOU ELLA FLUFFELLA for the beautiful sig. Ella & AnnMarie you are missed! Come back!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: