Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 18, 2019, 05:05:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Advise: Abandoned Bichon  (Read 10619 times)
BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

City Girl Living in the Suburbs

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »

I would suggest offering Zoey lots of fresh water. Maybe you could give her some cranberry, too? I'm not sure what else you can do to help at home, other than what you have already been doing, which is making her as comfortable as possible.

You can see her inner cuteness showing through! I can't wait for the "after" pics when she's doing well.

Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 04:07:35 PM »

Thanks Kelly.  We showed her how to use the lix-it in her crate ... but I will monitor how much she drinks. 

She has such a cute personality.  I can tell she just wants to be loved!   original

barofgold (Paula)
Paula, owned by Louis and Coco in the UK
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »

Oh bless her heart  Wub

My Coco has never had bladder problems but I know cranberry helps in us humans as does drinking plenty, like Kelly mentioned.

Good luck, Zoey sounds like she wants to settle and be loved so hopefully each day will bring positive things  Love Eyes

Thank you Del Smiley
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 05:43:18 PM »

She sounds like such a sweetie.She looks so scared and wary in the first pic,and so much happier already in the last.

I'm sure by this time next week she'll feel so much better.Alison

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 06:49:15 PM »

Good pictures  thumbsup
Honestly Josselyn, if she is running around and wanting to play I doubt she is in any significant pain. In the last picture where she is laying on her side she is obviously relaxed and as you say a real love bug. She may have been piddling due to anxiety and all the mats can't be comfortable.
I would be more worried about my own pets as she could have fleas, parasites of other disease as there is no knowing where she has been.  sad I am not trying to be mean,  No but I would handle her very little and keep her confined to a smaller space. She looked very comfortable in that crate and as long as she is comfortable and eating and having water she is 100% better than where she was a week ago on the side of the highway.
I would try and get a fresh stool sample on Monday before you go to the vet. Hopefully they can get a urine sample, and maybe give her an Rx to take the edge off before she goes to the groomer. Once she gets to the groomer and gets all the mats off and a good bath she may not be as sensitive about her back end, but some pups just are. My Lia HATES having her back end combed or even touched.
Good luck, you are an  angel to help her.

Thank you Alison!
Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »

She really does look happier today.  She is napping peacefully in her crate.

Thanks, Lin for the encouragement.  She is running around and jumping ... so maybe it's not as bad as I originally thought.  Hopefully she continues to act this good so I don't worry until Monday when she can be seen.
We are trying to keep her in her crate.  She makes the most awful sounds when she wants out though ... so hopefully she is cleared to be around Sumo and Kilo.  I looked carefully for fleas and didn't see any ... but doesn't mean she doesn't have something else contagious.

Thanks for the advice about getting a stool sample ... I have sent off an email to my vet to see what I can bring in, so thanks for the reminder  original

Georgia Girl (Vikki)
NOVICE

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »

stop Just a quick word here (trainer in me coming out, so sorry sorry1). Don't let her out of the crate when she is making a fuss  No. It will teach her that is alright and she will always do it. I know she is pitiful and needs extra loving etc. but getting that habit started now it will be extremely difficult to get rid of later.

Georgia Girl (Vikki)
NOVICE

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 10:38:45 PM »

I really am incredibly sorry if I'm overstepping my bounds with that bit of advice like I said my inner trainer is simply screaming at me saying that one becomes a problem so quickly and is so difficult to stop. I still believe you are doing a wonderful, amazing, fabulous thing by helping this poor sweet baby!!!

Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 02:28:32 AM »

stop Just a quick word here (trainer in me coming out, so sorry sorry1). Don't let her out of the crate when she is making a fuss  No. It will teach her that is alright and she will always do it. I know she is pitiful and needs extra loving etc. but getting that habit started now it will be extremely difficult to get rid of later.

Don't worry  original I completely agree with you.  I don't let her out when she makes noise. All I meant was that her noise is particularly unique haha.  She's very verbal!  original  So it's really hard to ignore.
Not paying attention to her when she makes the noise, but instead only giving her attention when she's quiet has worked great.
She seems to be getting used to being in her crate. 

She has done very well tonight.  She wasn't drinking out of her lix-it in the crate or the water bowl so I made a stew out of her dinner.  So hopefully she is getting enough liquids  original

I've also been in contact with a rescue in my area ... they place dogs in no-kill programs in the Seattle area.  If I decide to go that route it takes about two weeks to get her placed.  They also want to wait to decide until after her vet check Monday.  There is another rescue in a near by town that does fostering ... but they are really overwhelmed.
So I will make a decision after she sees the vet  original

BB56 (Donna)
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 10:38:31 AM »

Poor little Zoey(love the name!)  She looks very sweet and I am sure she is feeling better having some love and someone to care for her.  You are doing an amazing job and I hope the vet is able to help her feel more comfortable.  thumbsup

Thanks Alison!
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 11:35:59 AM »

Josselyn, kudos rock to you for everything you've done (thus far).  You're an angel! angelwings  Zoey fluff is a wee bit of a girl isn't she Wub?  I'm sure she'll thrive under your care comfort, especially with the home-cooked meals hungry.  Even if you're not keeping her, I know you're doing your BEST by her HugI hope I know you will get answers at the vet tomorrow (re: suspected anal gland issue, spayed or not spayed, etc).  And I'm really hoping+praying hard that Zoey fluff has a heart forever home heart soon... be it yours, or one that the rescue lines up. 

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

City Girl Living in the Suburbs

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2013, 11:44:10 AM »

Another way to encourage little Zoey to drink water is to mix about a teaspoon of natural applesauce into a cup of water and give it to her as a treat.

Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 12:50:05 AM »

Poor little Zoey(love the name!)  She looks very sweet and I am sure she is feeling better having some love and someone to care for her.  You are doing an amazing job and I hope the vet is able to help her feel more comfortable.  thumbsup
Thanks, Donna!  I really hope we get a lot of answers from the vet tomorrow.  I have a list of questions ready!

Josselyn, kudos rock to you for everything you've done (thus far).  You're an angel! angelwings  Zoey fluff is a wee bit of a girl isn't she Wub?  I'm sure she'll thrive under your care comfort, especially with the home-cooked meals hungry.  Even if you're not keeping her, I know you're doing your BEST by her HugI hope I know you will get answers at the vet tomorrow (re: suspected anal gland issue, spayed or not spayed, etc).  And I'm really hoping+praying hard that Zoey fluff has a heart forever home heart soon... be it yours, or one that the rescue lines up. 

Thanks Del  original Zoey is very little.  She is probably 2 inches shorter than Sumo and I'm guessing about 10 points.  I'm thinking she could gain about 2 pounds or so.  And she is loving my homecooked meals!  She dances around as soon as I get the bowls out to start getting dinner ready. 
She wasn't eating very much at the last home she was at, but acted hungry all the time.  So I'm glad she is enjoying my food  nodding

Another way to encourage little Zoey to drink water is to mix about a teaspoon of natural applesauce into a cup of water and give it to her as a treat.
Awesome tip! Thanks!  I will grab some applesauce tomorrow.  I have gotten her to drink more today with her food, but I think she probably needs to be drinking more. 

We go to the vet tomorrow afternoon, so I will update when we get home  original

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »

I can't wait to hear what the vet has to say!  cheerleader

Thank you Alison!
Katrinka (Catherine)
NOVICE

Buddy on Guard

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »

Reading along, so tempted to say I will take her! Obviously I have lost my mind!  Laugh Hysterical

Such a sweet little face!

~*~ Catherine, missing her little Buddy   fluffangel , but now I have two new best friends!  fluffbop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: