Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 18, 2019, 04:52:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Advise: Abandoned Bichon  (Read 10618 times)
Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 06:21:41 PM »

She will be here in a few hours.  I'm terrified for some reason!  I went out and got a bed and a toy for her, also a pink harness and collar.

Hopefully this all goes smoothly!  I will post pictures when I have a minute  original

Thanks for all of your encouragement.  I know this is the right thing to do ... it's just so scary not knowing what will happen.

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

City Girl Living in the Suburbs

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 07:18:14 PM »

I'm sure you will take great great of her. If you can get her to see the vet tomorrow, I would ask them to shave her down. If she is really severely matted, it is easy to injure the skin with clippers.

Like you said, neutral territory is best for the initial introduction. I would probably wait to introduce her to your dogs until you are fairly certain she is healthy. Wouldn't want to spread fleas or illness. I tend to be overly cautious.

Let us know how it goes!

bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 10:01:41 PM »

Josselyn - I've had 3 or 4 dogs come in matted to the skin in some areas, fleas, ticks, dried poo matts and terrible stench.  I first bath them and leave them lathered up for about 5-10 mins which will kill most of the fleas - any soap suds will suffocate the fleas.  This gives you some bonding time with them by being loving and gentle especially when you wrap them in a towel to dry them.  Then clip out the matts, any hair in the eyes and mouth and kill the other critters the soap didn't take care of.  Generally they need another bath to get rid of the flea poo and remaining stench. I get them to where they can be combed out.  It doesn't matter how terrible they look as your groomer can fix that.  You'll need to worm her right away if she hasn't been.   Like Kelly said you don't want to infect your household. 

I don't think you will have any trouble with her.  They just seem to know you care and are making things better for them and I've found they act better than mine first time I handle them.  They don't know what they can get away with yet!   original 
Good luck and make sure to take before and after pics. 
K

Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 03:35:16 AM »

Thanks Kelly and Kay!
I didn't get a good look at her until after the vet had closed. My regular vet only does exams during the week so I made her an appointment for Monday. Unfortunately I think she needs to be seen sooner, so I will call and see if I can get her in somewhere tomorrow morning.

When I was trimming her up before her bath (just scissored her like I do Sumo) she would not let me touch her rear. Even her back legs seemed to bother her. She is matted so badly on her back legs ... I'm sure that alone hurts.
I think she may have a bladder infection ... She had several accidents in the house but just dribbles ... And she squat very weird. Several times outside she squatted and tried to walk while she peed and again only seemed to pee a little.  I ran out and bought doggie diapers to cut down on the little accidents in the house.
She also is scooting.
So lots of things to talk to a vet about tomorrow!  I'm hoping they can clip her legs and rear.

I'm also not sure that she is fixed ... Another thing they did not learn from the vet. In her condition I can't believe a vet would not exam her more closely!  Pretty rediculous.

I'm on my ipad now so I will get on a computer tomorrow and post some of the pictures. I took some before I bathed and and after.  original

Georgia Girl (Vikki)
NOVICE

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 04:33:02 AM »

Oh the poor doll  sad I hope they can figure out what's going on with her tomorrow and get her all fixed up. I can't believe any vet allowed her to come into their office in that rough of shape without giving her a thorough exam at least. 

I'm so glad that she is with someone who cares even if it can't be a permanent solution.

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 05:49:55 AM »

Aw poor baby.It sounds so sore and uncomfortable.I hope your vet will see her sooner.

She is so lucky to have someone make her feel good again.I hope you can find her a permanent home soon.Alison

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

City Girl Living in the Suburbs

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 10:27:22 AM »

Oh the poor thing! She may not be able to squat properly because of the matted clumps pulling her skin taut. I hope you can get her seen today. Thanks on behalf of all of us fluff-lovers for getting her back to health and happiness!

barofgold (Paula)
Paula, owned by Louis and Coco in the UK
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 10:49:41 AM »

Poor little love  sad 

The only dog that I have had dealings with that had severe matting was one I went to collect for Bichon Rescue, he was at another rescue workers home and I must admit to being terribly shocked that they could leave him like that.  He was obviously in severe pain when the matts caught and gave some really pitiful yelps on the way to his new home.  The lady that took him immediately got him into her groomer that afternoon and had him shaved right down and then his nicer life began.

It beggars belief that a vet wouldn't carry out a full examination on such a sad case but, she is with you now and it shines through that you are pulling out all stops to get her on an even keel ready for someone to love her forever.

The scooting could be any number of things from discomfort from the matts to infected anal glands and if she is wandering when peeing/pooping she could be constipated or have a bladder infection like you think.  I know when Louis was suffering continually with his anal glands (they were removed years ago) he used to struggle with his motions and 'wandered'

rock To you for helping this little one  Hug

Thank you Del Smiley
Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 12:40:39 PM »

That's for all of the advice!  I didn't think about the mats causing her to squat weird, so I will keep that in mind. 

Before I saw her I didn't understand why no one else was stepping up and saying they would take her at least for a while ... now I see though.  It's so sad. 

I really appreciate being able to come here for help.  I'm so overwhelmed but you guys make it a lot better!  original

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 12:47:05 PM »

Poor girl, I do hope you can get her some care quickly, she sounds so needy.
You are an  angel for helping her.
 Thanks for keeping is posted.

Thank you Alison!
Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 01:43:18 PM »

No vet will see her today Sad
I'm going to work on posting pictures soon.

Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »

We have decided to call her Zoey  original  It was on a list of popular names for this year, so I'm hoping her forever home will like it.

Before:

After the bath and little grooming I was able to do ...

It was really late by the time I was done and we were all exhausted.  She hopped in her crate and I decided to give the boys bully sticks.  She seemed interested so I gave her one of her own. 
Sorry this isn't a great picture.  I'm sure I will get more today.

After they were done chewing she decided to join us on the couch for some cuddles.  She is such a love bug!  Too bad her breath is so bad!  sad

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can make her comfortable until we see the vet on Monday?  If she has a bladder infection, is there anything I can do to comfort her? 
And she still don't let me touch her back legs, so we will have to wait until Monday to get her fixed up. 

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »

Poor little thing. She's so lucky to have you to help her.

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »

Do you have any urgent care centers where you are? I would have to have her go all weekend if she's that uncomfortable.

Josselyn
NOVICE

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »

We don't ... unfortunately.  Vets here are so annoying.  I called everywhere this morning as they opened and one told me they don't have a vet in on the weekends and the other two didn't have time to see her.  They also tend to not give advice over the phone.  Which I understand to a point ...

She seems okay and is playing and running around ... I just worry that she is uncomfortable and I don't have any experience with females so I'm not quite sure what to do.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: