Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
November 17, 2017, 10:07:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: How did you first find out about this breed?
Friend/family member had one - 3 (12%)
Through TV/internet/research - 9 (36%)
You've always known about this breed - 2 (8%)
Other - 11 (44%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Discovering the bichon breed  (Read 14249 times)
Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »

I've always considered myself a  cat  person and never cared much for dogs, thinking them smelly, ill-mannered, etc.  I am still afraid of most big dogs and small small nippy ones.   scared

In 2000, I saw a news story about a bichon named Leo, who was the victim of a horrendous road rage incident in California.  The case went to trial and there was a lot of publicity including pictures of Leo and his mom over the years.  I thought he was the cutest dog that I ever saw. 

When I retired a few years later, I began to seriously think about getting a cute dog like that and then took all the "match the breed to your personality/lifestyle" tests on the web and decided in early 2005 that a little  fluffcribG  was just what I needed.   original

Thanks Del
Jessica

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 08:05:34 AM »

Thank you Eddel!  original What a wonderful way to remember Bianca's birthday.
Chris, that's very kind of you to follow through like that. I hear that bichons are great dogs for first time dog owners. Like you said, though, all dogs are different. Just as long as my little one will like me, I'll be happy.  thumbsup
Susan, I know exactly the story you're talking about, I just didn't remember the dog's bred. That poor owner! No I googled the story to see what happened to that horrible guy. I'm glad the judge gave him the maximum sentence (3yrs in prison). And speaking of dog compatibility tests, I took one as well. It said I was a 100% match for a bichon.  Wub
Anna25
NOVICE

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »

I had only known of one person that had a Bichon before getting Chance.  I had only seen pictures and heard about this wonderful dog through the grape vine.  I have not had a inside dog for about 17 years maybe more.  I have a dear friend that has been trying to get me to get another dog for years.  My husband has bad health problems and I take care of my mother also...so I thought a dog would just be way too much to take on.  She knew someone with Bichon puppies and called me about them, not being able to even pronounce the breed name.  Well to make a long story kind of short...she had her friend bring the two puppies she had to my house and that was  that.  As soon as she stepped out of her van my husband and I were sold on the same puppy.  It has been the most wonderful thing that has happened to us in years.  I know this little boy was a gift from God....no doubt about it.  I look every day to see if there is this breed for sale in the newspaper....I have even googled it in our area....no puppies anywhere for sale around here.  It was a God thing.

Jessica

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 07:31:14 PM »

Wow, that was definitely a God thing indeed. Thank you for sharing.
MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 09:12:43 PM »

I voted "other".  I love to watch dog shows and had seen fluffs in all their glory.  I didn't really think much of the fancy, groomed look.  I had had shihtzus and found out that I was dog allergic.  I was preparing to research mini poodle breeders in my area as I'd had a poodle long ago and never reacted to him allergically.  Walking at the park one day, I met a couple with an adorable little bichon.  As I pet him, I realized that I was not having any reaction.  He was so sweet, friendly, and cute that I took the name and contact information of the breeder.  I then researched the breed and liked all of what I read.  I contacted the breeder in Connecticut and she invited me to visit and get a large dose of "bichon" to see if I really would be okay.  Her fluffs were adorable and I had no reaction.  So I got on her waiting list for a puppy.  The rest is, well history!

Jessica

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »

It sounds like it was meant to be.  nodding I never knew that shih tzus weren't friendly to those with allergies. That's good to know.
Mia'sMom (Dolores)
NOVICE

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 09:15:21 AM »

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

City Girl Living in the Suburbs

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »

I first saw and loved a Bichon photo in the book, The Complete Dog, (I think) when I was a young kid. It was until many years later that I met one.

I loved reading through the other replies to this poll. What a great thread!

This really gave me a chuckle: " Little did I know that I would be mothering a baby in a fluffy body"  LOL!

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 07:07:32 PM »

I hope it's not a problem to post on this thread, although no one has commented in some years. I found out about the bichon frise breed when I first got interested in the possibility of a rescue. I noticed that on petfinder.com, there were a number of bichons listed for my area. The reason is that there is a bichon frise rescue group here. The dogs sounded interesting -- listers emphasized their sweet personalities -- so I decided to learn more. I now have a couple of books about them. It's clear there are, unfortunately, cons as well as pros to the breed -- every source warns about house-training -- but I would think (maybe I'm wrong) that that would be only a short-term problem with a rescue. (I understand that rescues sometimes forget their training in a strange house.) It's also clear that it makes no sense to get a bichon unless I or a partner can be at home virtually all day. As for maintenance, I am reassured by the sense I get that my chief responsibility would be brushing and that brushing shouldn't be difficult with a short-coated fluff.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: