Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
December 13, 2018, 09:56:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY SPAY & NEUTER your Bichon  (Read 17932 times)
Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 02:04:14 PM »

Belle's vet said I should do it before her first heat.
So I did.
I think it was the cancer thing too, but I can't really remember for sure.
[/size]

Stephanie
NOVICE

Halifax, N.S.

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 10:37:02 PM »

I just wanted to say thanks for this information and for the shared experiences thread. I was really nervous about having Jackson neutered but after reading this and everyone's experiences I felt a lot better.

***A Karenalicious Creation***
BenjisMommy
Ontario, Canada
G.O.D.

I love my baby BENJI!!R.I.P Snoopy..luv u 4ever

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 12:18:07 AM »

I just wanted to say thanks for this information and for the shared experiences thread. I was really nervous about having Jackson neutered but after reading this and everyone's experiences I felt a lot better.

That's what we are all here for  flowers flowers flowers flowers

*********************?e?????ommy*********************
***A Delicious Creation***
Marla
NOVICE

Bichons Rule!

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 03:38:16 AM »

Angel is fixed, but I started reading these posts because I met a female Bichon Angel's age who was not fixed but seemed much more hyper, barking a lot at her etc.
When I read about how they can get endometriosis, I cringed!!!  I actually have that and it's causing me all sorts of problems.  I had no idea dogs could get it.
I'm glad my girl can't get it.
Now, if only it worked the same for us humans, take the uterus out and get rid of the endo...

Bella
ENTHUSIAST

Love is a Bichon Frise :)

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 01:56:12 PM »

Oh my! Bella is getting spayed tomorrow and I am so worried and scared. I know a lot of you went through this, and now so am I. I panic when I think about tomorrow. Boy does time fly by eh?

I remember being here and Bella was only 9 weeks old, and now she is 5 months going on 6 soon.
I guess I just need to read more stories of how your Bichon's went through their spaying, just to make it a little easier for me tomorrow. Thank You for the wonderful information

Suzy83
*Property Of Lily*
NOVICE

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 08:36:20 AM »

We're trying to decide whether or not to spay Lily in the future and I'm really not sure. I'm worried her character may change due to less female hormones flowing through her system etc. And of course all the other cons you hear about.

But mostly the character change is what I'm worried about. And I'm still not sure if I want to go into the whole breeding thing with her later on in her life.

But the vet says it HAS to be done before her first heat (I'm not sure why), which puts so much pressure onto us to decide Crying

Hils
Jersey, Channel Islands
EXPERT

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 12:05:07 PM »

Hi Suzy - great to see you, have missed you and Lily! flowers  As for the spaying, don't be pressurised into it. No  There are different views on it - for example, my vet refused to spay Molly before her first heat.  She is now 2 years old and still hasn't been spayed (for various reasons).  I intend to have her spayed after her next season, which is due early June, but I am really worried about it.  In fact, I have even considered not having her spayed at all - except Natalie (my daughter) reminded me of how horrible we feel every month so it would be better for Molly to have a week or two of discomfort after being spayed rather than to feel horrible twice a year, every year! That makes sense to me and I do know that it would be better for her healthwise to be spayed.  I would say take time to fully consider what you want to do rather than go with what your vet says and possibly regret it later.
Annie36
G.O.D.

Mommy's little boy

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 06:32:31 PM »

I agree 100% with Hils. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing anything you are not ready to do or don't even know if you want to.

Yes it can change their personality, But not always. So you will not know until it is done if it will or wont. My nephew just had his Min Pin done and her personality did change, but it was for the better for her. She was a domineering dog and now she is just so sweet and cuddley. My Rosie was more energetic and now she is lazy Laughing But the same personality.My Rosie is 14 and old and has arthritis so she just can't get around as good as she used to. I did not get her done til she was 2 years old. She has had no female problems. So waiting is a prefrence and so is doing it early. You spend as much time as you need to make the decision that is best for you and her. nodding

Suzy83
*Property Of Lily*
NOVICE

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 06:35:16 PM »

Aww thanks original I really don't understand why our vet is insisting on getting it done ASAP.... It kinda creeps me out to be honest scared

Lisa

Fluffs Rule.

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 05:34:22 PM »

I have chosen NOT to neuter my male dogs.  I have a 1-1/2 year old lab and an 8 month old bichon.  Both males.  There has been no behavior that I would deem necessary to put them under the knife.  These days, we are all more well-informed.  I've done my research online, with vets, personal trainers and with breeders (hunting dog breeders).   The only group that seems to insist this is necessary are the veterinary community.   

My dogs are never outside unattended.  They don't hump.  They only mark outside, which my "fixed" dogs all did.  Both are growing into gorgeous dogs and I don't believe it's OK to take away their natural hormones that are needed for growth. 

I guess time will tell, but I'm off the spay/neuter bandwagon.  I'm not real keen on shots either. I do rabies and distemper.  Heartworm and the others, they can keep away from my pups.  Not necessary.

Lisa
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: