Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 22, 2019, 07:06:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dental Care for your Fluff  (Read 9131 times)
Flip

« on: November 16, 2011, 06:37:42 PM »

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've been on this site.but first.of all, I'd like to say, in.reading many posts, your fluffs are all so beautiful!  I just want to hug them all!

My question is how many of you regularly brush your fluff's teeth? Have you brushed them since.day one? What product do you use? Has your fluff had a dental cleaning? If so, how many and at what intervals?

If you.don't brush your fluff's teeth, then what do you do for oral health? Has your fluff.had any dentals and if so, how.many and at what intervals?

What made you decide to get a dental for your fluff? The reason I am asking is because I used to be really diligent in brushing my mutt's teeth but I have slacked off in the last two years. I used to give her raw beef ribs twice a week but.had to stop due.to elevated liver enzymes. Bit I still brushed her teeth daily. Now that I have slacked off, I notice that her teeth are a bit yellow and there is mild tartar (as stated by my.vet a her last physical exam). So should I have a dental.done? Would this make her.teeth white.again? My cat just had a dental but he had peridontal disease and had to get extraction so I can't use him as a yardstick. He also came into my life as he entered his senior years so I don't know his history.

So do you wait until it gets worse? Or shall I nip it in the bud? I will ask my vet but just want.to know what the owners of such beautiful fluffs do. Let's pretend that money is no issue. Do you think that it's not worth putting her under anesthetic for just mild tartar or if I get them cleaned and keep up with the brushing, could I be preventing further problems? Or is it just a waste of money and risk?

Sorry for all the questions. I am a vet tech (yeah I know really?) But when it comes to my own animals I am a neurotic mess!

Thank you in advance for your help!   Sorry for the typos, I'm using my phone and am hopeless in texting.
MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »

I don't brush often, generally once a week.  But I do use PetzLife gel daily and it's great!  My girls are ages 5 and 3 and the dentist says they have perfect teeth and no need for cleaning or scaling. 
http://www.amazon.com/PetzLife-Oral-Care-Original-Peppermint/dp/B000PICIB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321490721&sr=8-1

Luana
New Hampshire
EXPERT

Bichon.ca

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »

Mary Ellen, is that a spray that you spray onto the teeth and you don't have to brush?  I have seen one advertized but I think it was a different name.

Thank you Del, love it.
nzbyrd
G.O.D.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 12:09:54 AM »

I think if its only 'mild tarter' probably not necessary to get a dental yet, but definitely something to keep an eye on. If you are able to introduce more things to chew, that would probably take care of the tarter. I havent found cleaning the teeth had any effect at all on my dogs. I have one in particular that has dental problems, no matter what I do. We dont have special dental products (other than toothpaste) for dogs in NZ, although our vet did offer Maddy the dental vaccine, which i refused.

I know people have differnt ideas about what is safe to give dogs to chew. Some people say chicken bones are not safe, but I do give raw chicken bones, and have not had any problems (of course you would never give cooked ones). My dogs also enjoy beef brisket bones which are quite fatty, so they dont get dinner on those days as there is enough food on the bones.

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:11:05 AM »

PetzLife comes in a gel that you put into your dog's mouth.  If your dog will tolerate it, you rub it around on the teeth (very quickly, but I always hit the canines).  It will work even if you can't rub it around because it mixes with saliva in the dog's mouth and does its job as long as the dog doesn't eat or drink for 30 minutes.  There is also a spray form of PetzLife.  That would seem to be easier, but my girls didn't like the spray noise.  I can't say enough about how easy this is to use and the wonderful results!

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »

I brush now and again,but Abby hates it so we are using Petzlife now.Alison

Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »

Ive tried everything and non of them work, Lucy will need dental work in the near future but as she has 2 broken teeth and one missing I put it down to her breading but then in saying that, Boo came from a very good, reptuple breader and he has had so many problems with his teeth, so I say it's the luck of the draw. My last dog who was a Westie never had one bit of trouble with his teeth and I never ever brushed them  Sneaky
Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 06:23:39 PM »

Just over a year ago, I was in despair that I could ever do anything for Missy's teeth.   crybaby  The first year I didn't brush her teeth (I hadn't found any bichon forums at that point  whistling) but after that I brushed her teeth at least once a day and gave her Plaque Off on her food.

Missy has a severe overbite and has never been a chewer except when she was a baby and chewed on soft things like the end strings on rugs.   Rolled Eyes  Her tartar just increased every year until we switched vet practices and she was seen by a young vet who has a special interest in teeth.  She had her teeth cleaned and several removed and it was a horrendous experience for both of us.   crybaby

I vowed to brush her teeth twice a day but gave up on the PlaqueOff since I didn't see that it was doing any good.  Anyway, within 6 months the tartar was back.   Mad  At that point, I just decided that there would be no escaping a lot more cleanings under anesthesia.  However, I didn't give up on trying.   I decided since nothing was working, I would try everything instead.   idea 

In the morning after her breakfast, Missy gets her teeth brushed with one brand of toothpaste.   For lunch, Missy has PlaqueOff sprinkled on her kibble.   After dinner, Missy gets her teeth brushed with a different brand of toothpaste and then in the evening, after her last walk, I put PetzLife Oral Gel on her teeth.    sweatdrop

I had tried all of those items before and branded them all as useless  thumbdown  , however, in combination they seem to be working.  I am seeing a gradual improvement.   cheerleader   Missy's next checkup is in March and I have my fingers crossed.

BTW, I never cared whether Missy enjoyed having her teeth brushed any more than I cared whether my boys wanted to brush their teeth when they were toddlers.   noway   It's something that needs to be done and that is that.  Missy likes one brand of toothpaste better than the other.  She likes PlaqueOff but dislikes the taste of PetzLife Oral Gel.  However, I know she sees it as part of her routine.  She does like having the roof of her mouth and her tongue brushed though.   original

I have found from reading the posts that all the fluffs are different.  Some keep their teeth clean just by chewing on bones.  Unfortunately, Missy has problem teeth.   sad

Thanks Del
Flip

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 03:24:05 AM »

Thank you to all for your responses!

There is a dental vaccine?   I wonder what it has in it? 

I have looked into petzlife - not sure I want to spend the money but if some of you think it works, then I'll try it.  Obviously every pet is different.  I used to give raw chicken wings to Kiri as I read that they're good for small dog's teeth.  But people would tell me I should break the wing apart just in case it expanded in her esophagus.  So I got freaked out.  Beef back ribs are good but I didn't find that they cleaned her teeth.  When I was good about it, the brushing was enough and kept bad breath at bay.  she never had bad breath but now, it's kind of odourous. 

Susan, sorry to hear you have had such a struggle with Missy's teeth.  I guess like people, some dogs are prone to dental problems. I wonder if you ask your vet about a fluoride treatment that would help strengthen her teeth? 

I just want to prevent any problems, dental or health wise, but I also want to know if I do the dental now, and start being totally conscientious about brushing since it worked in the past, will it prevent her from having a dental later on?  Or if I wait until it's worse, will it just return her teeth to a disgusting but not as disgusting state?  I don't want to have to put her under anesthesia needlessly and also don't want to spend tons of money so I thought preventive measures would be more prudent.  Obviously, it's not a guarantee.

Tomorrow I will get some Petzlife I think.  Anyone else have any comments? 
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 12:05:44 AM »

I too use Petzlife. I am hoping by paying the price now I will not need a lot of expensive dental work down the road. Both my fluffs get tartar build up on their very back teeth, so it is a struggle to get the gel to the back, I use a small toothbrush some of the time, but usually I just stick some on my finger and get it in their mouth. I have noticed an improvement, but unlike MaryEllen I don't use it every day, maybe 2x per week.

Thank you Alison!
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »

I have to say that I think luck has a lot to do with it.  Poppy has awful teeth - Pepe has hardly any staining or anything at 11 and they have had the same care.  Well Poppy has had better care as her teeth have been so awful.  We tried plaque off but I really couldn't see any different.  I use logic paste from the vets to help with plaque and lots of things to chew including pizzles, raw carrots and half a dental stick (which they love but I am not convinced about).

pam

Oliver

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 11:11:13 AM »

Breath problems
Hi
We are new here and live in eastern Canada. My Bichon is 5 years old and has terrible breath.The vet hasn't said anything about his teeth, so I assume they are ok. He is groomed every 5 weeks and she was never trained in oral hygiene. I have poked and prodded at his face so much, I doubt that he would let me clean his teeth and with what???. I live in a small farming community, between 2 cities. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you and have a wonderful javascript:void(0);
Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »

Get a baby tooth brush and start with a toothpaste in a flavor he likes.  I have had my rescue dog for a year now.  My Bichon is used to having her teeth brushed but the rescue was afraid of everything.  I just let her know very firmly that brushing teeth was part of the nighttime grooming routine. 

Brush his teeth on his grooming table.  I think it helps that they know it is part of grooming and also they really are stuck in one place until you are done.  It really is important.  I didn't know about tooth brushing with Missy, my Bichon, when I first got her because she is my first dog, but I learned very quickly after a miserable dental cleaning including loss of teeth. 

Sookie, the rescue, had breath that would knock one out when she first came to us.  It did not take long for her breath to become very nice.  I also sprinkle Plaque Off on their food once a day.  When it comes to their teeth, I use everything that can help. 

Be firm with your guy and he will benefit greatly.  Good Luck and Happy New Year. 

Thanks Del
susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 05:25:35 PM »

Oliver -your post really hits home with me.  My furbaby Olivia who just turned 4 had a really tough time with her first dental this past year and to my shock had 13 teeth extracted.  All her front teeth top and bottom and many molars......   I was very conscientious about her vet visits....used a holistic Vet.  On her previous visit the Vet said she had some tartar and said I should give her some marrow bones as well as the tooth brushing.....no mention of a cleaning.  And yes, I too assumed the Vet would tell me when a dental was needed.

I have been filled with self-recrimination because I wasn't insistent or proactive with the Vet at that visit.  When they said this past June she needed dental I was expecting a normal cleaning ...not a clue that 13 teeth would be gone.  grrrrrrrrr

Yes, since her teeth are so bad so young its probably genetic..... but, still I feel had she had a cleaning a year earlier those teeth may have been saved. 

Fowl breath can be a sign of gingivitis or periodontal disease, so even if the Vet doesn't say anything, I'd question him about it.

Good you are trying to stay on top of his tooth health as most Bichons display signs of periodontal disease and tooth loss by 7 yrs.....and it can effect other internal organs if left untreated.

As for getting his teeth brushed you might first try a piece of wrapped up gauze with some petrodex enzymatic toothpaste and then move on to a pet toothbrush or fingerbrush....
Olivia seems to tolerate the finger brush better.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YFZXGG
I mix the petrodex (chicken flavor) with some coconut oil and Olivia really likes it.

You may be surprised at how he reacts to brushing....They are so interested in eating the stuff he may not give you as much resistance as you anticipate. 
Good Luck!

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 02:04:08 PM »

Susan gave you great advice!  She mentions getting toothpaste in a flavor he likes; be sure you use PET toothpaste, not human.  Their teeth don't have the enamel layer we have, so our toothpaste is not good for them.

I don't brush mine.  I continually have so many pets (currently a Baker's Dozen) that brushing would be an all day chore.  I choose to use raw bones.  Chicken wings and necks, beef soup bones, beef marrow bones (any beef bones which are not weight bearing).  Gets a bit tough in the winter as I will not allow these inside, and baby it's cold out side!  (Well, the cats do get theirs inside, but that is a whole 'nuther tale.)

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: