Bichon Frise Community
April 24, 2014, 04:39:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clipper blade question  (Read 4003 times)
Annie36
G.O.D.

Mommy's little boy

« on: March 04, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »

wave Long time no see...

I have a question about clipper blades....what does the letters behind the number mean? F? SS? S? HT? I was asked by someone wanting to buy clippers and I didn't know....I think F means Finishing. Which is better and which is safer? Which brand is better and which lasts longer? I do know that the lower the number the longer the hair is left right? The higher the number the shorter?

darwinsmom (Chris)
EXPERT

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 03:45:26 PM »

This makes me crazy, too.

I have no idea about letters- mine only seem to have numbers? I use Andis brand. The number corresponds to the coat length, but I always have to look it up on a table- or just use the ones Danielle tells me to use!  nodding That method has worked pretty well for me!

I think the most important thing for longevity is to keep the blades clean and lubricated. I have a blade cleaner/ cooler in a jar that you dip and run the clipper for a seconds.

Anyhow, hope you get a better answer than mine  thumbsup

Freedom (Sandie)
East Providence, RI, USA
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »

This makes me crazy, too.

I have no idea about letters- mine only seem to have numbers? I use Andis brand. The number corresponds to the coat length, but I always have to look it up on a table- or just use the ones Danielle tells me to use!  nodding That method has worked pretty well for me!

I think the most important thing for longevity is to keep the blades clean and lubricated. I have a blade cleaner/ cooler in a jar that you dip and run the clipper for a seconds.

Anyhow, hope you get a better answer than mine  thumbsup

Now, look, I COULD HAVE WRITTEN THIS, word for word!   Doh   Laughing  "I just do what Danielle says," yup, same here!

Oh, except, she advised me not to bother with the Cool Lube stuff.  Is that what you are referring to?

I bought new professional clippers in Dec, which I 'think' I have the nerve up to use first time this weekend.  Came with a free extra blade, an FC, and I have no clue what it is, ha haa.

Flock of Fluffs; Clowder of Cats; Thx Alison!
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 11:01:13 PM »

Can someone hurry up and answer this please as I have a set of clippers that I'd like to try this weekend too,   No maybe  nodding , I've had them for almost a year now!  Laughing I really am too chicken to use them but I will when the warmer weather comes, before the heat of the summer as I'm afraid I might cut too short. Right now I use them bladeless to clean up the foot pads, I find it so much quicker and easier than scissors, other than that they sit in the box.  sad

Thank you Alison!
darwinsmom (Chris)
EXPERT

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »

How do you use them bladeless, Lin?

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 09:46:12 AM »

I guess bladeless is the wrong word, I have a set that has attachments for length, so what I meant is if I don't add an attachment at all and just use the cutter bare.  confused Maybe I should have said gaurdless,  if that is even a word, does that make sense?

Thank you Alison!
Freedom (Sandie)
East Providence, RI, USA
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »

If you have quality / professional clippers, use the #10 blade for the paw pads, sanitary clip, and add the #4 comb for the face.  Use the #30 with a #2 comb attachment for the rest of the dog.  - per my instructions from Danielle!

So I found this chart, but not sure if this is what you were looking for?
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/index.php?nic=andis-clipping

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:16:22 PM by Freedom (Sandie) » Logged

darwinsmom (Chris)
EXPERT

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 11:51:04 AM »

I guess bladeless is the wrong word, I have a set that has attachments for length, so what I meant is if I don't add an attachment at all and just use the cutter bare.  confused Maybe I should have said gaurdless,  if that is even a word, does that make sense?
Oh, OK, that makes sense. I have to admit, I'm always scared to use the clipper on his paws, so I thought maybe you had a way of doing it that I could try. Smiley

Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 9 year old Texan

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »

Oh, OK, that makes sense. I have to admit, I'm always scared to use the clipper on his paws, so I thought maybe you had a way of doing it that I could try. Smiley

I am too.   scared  I'm so afraid that I will hurt the pads so I have never even tried it.   noway

Thanks Del
Annie36
G.O.D.

Mommy's little boy

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 12:10:53 AM »

Thanks for the help ladies......I need to go read that link Sandie posted.....

Freedom (Sandie)
East Providence, RI, USA
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 02:52:40 PM »

Annie, and anyone else who looks at that chat, READ THIS:

http://bichon.ca/forum/index.php/topic,19153.new.html#new

Annie36
G.O.D.

Mommy's little boy

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:09:11 PM »

Thanks Sandy....I know a little more than I did before.....I also know that I should never use clippers  Laughing

Freedom (Sandie)
East Providence, RI, USA
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »

No no, that was NOT the point, ha ha haaa!  It truly is so quick and easy to get through the whole dog!

Knowing your equipment is more than half the battle.  Technique is what I will work on next.  And on a dog like Sugar (here is my paw, Mum; let me turn for you, Mum) it is awesome!

FINALLY, I see what they mean: drying is important and the longest part of the whole job.

bluebell
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 02:11:51 AM »

F = Finish
FC = Finish Cut
S or ST = Skip Tooth
SS = Stainless Steel
HT = High Taper (this blade is more used in barbering than grooming)
CE = Ceramic Edge

Do NOT use skip tooth blades! In the hands of a novice, these are EXTREMELY dangerous and can very seriously injure your pet! Always, always use finish blades. The difference is the spacing between the teeth of the blade. Finish blades have much narrower tooth gaps, which makes it far less likely your pet's skin will feed into the cutting edge. Skip tooth blades were made for rough cuts before a bath, which was how things were done "in the olden days." It is far better for your blades and health to work on clean hair, so wash first and clip with finish blades.

Personally I prefer steel blades to ceramic, though there are groomers who will have different opinions.

#10 for pads and sanitary areas. This is about the safest blade (clipper or shear) you can use on a pet. The teeth are very closely spaced, yet there is enough metal left to keep the blade off of the pet's skin. When you go shorter (higher numbers)you start getting into the surgical blade lengths, which have closely spaces teeth, but little to no metal guard above the blade (they are literally shaving to the skin). I have had countless assistants clip countless pads and bellies with #10 blades, but I can count the injuries - it is very hard to nick them with that blade (and the injuries I have seen have been very minor compared to other bladed tools).

As to which blade to use on the body or face: that will depend entirely on what the end goal is. Sandie likes her crew short but not bald. Others like more fluff. I like to recommend the #30 blade with a guard comb set as you can get the blade and the set for the cost of 2 blades, but it gives you 8 blade lengths instead of just 2.

As for brands, the big names are Andis, Oster, and Geib. I personally have only Andis and Geib blades (all my shears are Geib as well).

EDIT: Yes, please do not use aerosol lubricant on your blades. VERY unhealthy for anyone with a pair of lungs, and extremely flammable, not to mention they contain no oil (are composed of propane and alcohol). To prolong the life of your blades, they need to be oiled regularly. Oiled blades stay cooler longer as they run with less friction. You can use a disinfectant dip in addition to the oil, but please, for health, safety, and the life of your tools, avoid aerosol coolants.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:49:05 AM by Bluebell » Logged
Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 04:51:07 AM »

Glad someone could help  nodding cos I aint got a clue  noway
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: