Bichon Frise Community
April 24, 2014, 04:39:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: are bichons any good at swimming?  (Read 1300 times)
tobys mum
NOVICE

« on: January 19, 2011, 05:25:22 PM »

when the weather gets warmer, we will be getting out our kayak, as we used to do with rogue when he was alive and take him out up the rivers around here, even tho rogue had his own life jacket he was ok in the water, not a natural but could make it back the river bank if needed, well toby being toby and not keen on raindrops im wondering what hes going to be like if he was to fall in!! i said fall not get pushed! im not that mean devil

the only time he has been in open water was when we carried him intot he sea and he promtly managed in a pankic sort of fashoin to get out and refused point blank to go in, he then got an ear infection so we didnt take him back.

so are they natural swimmers or is toby just being difficult?
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:44:45 PM »

There was a thread on this a little while ago.
http://bichon.ca/forum/index.php/topic,18608.0.html
Mine don't even like getting wet never mind swimming
Pam

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:09:17 PM »

Abby enjoys paddling in rivers and the sea when she gets a chance,and loves puddles.I always keep her onlead near the sea so she doesn't get washed out by the waves.Alison

Freedom (Sandie)
East Providence, RI, USA
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:17:36 PM »

There was a thread on this a little while ago.
http://bichon.ca/forum/index.php/topic,18608.0.html
Mine don't even like getting wet never mind swimming
Pam

LOL thanks, Pam, thought I was seeing double!   LOL!

Bichons are a cross of a water spaniel, the Barbet, and the Poodle.  So loving water is in there; whether or not YOUR TOBY is in touch with his "inner Spaniel" is a whole 'nother question!

Flock of Fluffs; Clowder of Cats; Thx Alison!
chichsmum
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:47:37 PM »

My friends who boat always have life jackets for their poodles or bichon frise. My staffy granddoggy can swim strongly. She sometimes dives off the boat and takes herself to the beach! The kids go after her in the inflatable! She will accompany the boys if they decide to swim to the beach from where they are moored. Chich likes baths but I am not sure if she will swim at the beach. Have not tried her yet as we have a toxic sea slug problem. Dogs have died from taking a bite of them.

Carolyn

Rawfed
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 02:25:47 AM »

That's scary Carolyn!  Toxic slugs?!
nzbyrd
G.O.D.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 05:10:32 AM »

BeeGee can swim, whether he likes it or not is another issue. The first time he was ever near a swimming pool, he just launched himself into the pool, and promptly sank like a stone. I dont think he realised it was deep. Of course someone fished him up really quick, in all the whole episode would only have taken two or three seconds so he was never in any danger. Since then, he has figured that he can swim Smiley

Maddy loves the beach, she like to play in the waves, although she's such a wee thing, I do worry about it getting too deep for her (our beach is pretty wild).

I wouldn't worry too much (especially if you have a jacket for him) I'm sure he will cope in the water. 

Raewync (Rae)
Super G.O.D.

Livin the life of Riley

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 10:00:45 PM »

I have always believed all dogs can swim...BeeGee kind of blew that theory although it seems his jumping in mad him sink lol.  Riley will paddle in water, and has swum before at the river, but prefers not to go too deap usually, he hates the bath though lol.  I think you can see from this he can swim though, we got a pool and he swims in there

Another Terri creation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: