Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 15, 2019, 10:09:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rope n Go Harness...  (Read 32455 times)
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« on: September 08, 2010, 03:51:54 PM »

http://www.ropengo.com/harness.php

I found this in the thread for puppia harnesses that was recently linked in another thread and it looks exactly like what I've been looking for for Darwin- but one BIG question- Is it easy to chew?? He has had step in harnesses before that he has managed to get his head down to the chest piece and chew it right in 2. Is this sturdy and/ or does it fit so that he wouldn't be able to reach it?

Thanks for sharing any experience you have.

Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »

Ive never seen these till now Chris,  blink so I wouldnt have a clue,  No sorry i'm no help  No
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:41:47 PM »

Ive never seen these till now Chris,  blink so I wouldnt have a clue,  No sorry i'm no help  No
Me neither until today, but it looks neat, doesn't it???? As long as I don't buy it and he chews the heck out of it.... He chokes even with the puppia style harness, and this looks so easy to use, what with the leash attached. I hate putting the leash on his collar in emergencies, but it happens. This looks like a solution.

IzzyPop (Natalie)
NOVICE

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »

I had one, a kitty version so obviously not as strong, a few years ago.  I did not like the way the clasp moved on it, and it frayed quickly (ruined within a year).  I was using it for my blind kitty, she was ill & had many vet visits, and did not handle carriers well (couldn't see the walls/bars so would hurt herself in a carrier).
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 05:09:43 PM »

I had one, a kitty version so obviously not as strong, a few years ago.  I did not like the way the clasp moved on it, and it frayed quickly (ruined within a year).  I was using it for my blind kitty, she was ill & had many vet visits, and did not handle carriers well (couldn't see the walls/bars so would hurt herself in a carrier).
Thanks Natalie. So the clasp moves while it's on? Darwin is definitely a flight risk, so it would be dangerous if he got out of it. I'm thinking if it frayed quickly, he could could chew it pretty easily, too. Hmmm...

IzzyPop (Natalie)
NOVICE

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:57:51 PM »

Mine was definitely not the heavier weight cord like the one you linked.

The clasp to tighten it would always catch in my kitties hair.  She was a DSH (shorthair) but had a dense/fluffy coat.

This is the closest link I can find, the picture isn't great -

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Cat-Lead-And-Harness/dp/B0002ASGU4/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 07:06:04 PM »

I have one or Tasha and I LOVE it! (Tasha is the puppy mill rescue, so when she arrived, just about everything scared her.)

Tasha escaped from 5 different harnesses - all different types - until I got one of thee.  NO WAY she can get out of it.

I can not leave a harness on Tasha, as she will chew it.  Even at the roomer's, I take it WITH me, just so Tracie won't put it on her by mistake. (Tracie gets the pups all set to go and if I am not there, they wander the room or sit in their kennel with the harnesses on; all except Tasha, lol.)  Tasha is OK while we drive to and from our destinations, all are very short trips.

She HAD chewed through the Rope N Go.  Two of them!  I used black electrical tape to fix them.  She chewed through THAT too on the first one, lol. 

Tasha hasn't chewed on her harness in months and months, so we MAY be over that step in her adjustment.

I have no idea which part is the "clasp" that is referred to, there is only rope and knots.  We are pretty hard on it -- when we go to our "farm walks," Tasha keeps her harness on and drags it behind her through all the brush and grass, through the woods.  (She still will not come to me, so I have to have the leash on her to "catch" her when it is time to return to the parking lot and get in the car."  It is not fraying one bit.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:56:15 PM »

So it sounds like maybe the dog one is made better than the cat one?? Thanks for sharing your experience, Sandie. I'm on the fence still because if it's chewable, I know he will.

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:10:29 PM »

I don't know of a harness made that can't be chewed (if left on).  I have the Ropengo harness for both of my girls.  It is THE best fitted harness and my little escape artist (Miss Sassypants) can't get out of it.   Once you've adjusted it to fit, you just put it on (like a shirt), push the knot down till it's snug and off you go.  There is a learning curve to fitting it though.  Be sure to watch their demo video.  I like to think of the black part as a "necktie".  It goes in the front.  Once I learned that, it was easy to put on.  This is not a harness you leave on once your walk is over.  It is meant to be removed after use.  If you are concerned about him chewing the leash part (I had that issue with Sassy) it is possible to attach a new leash to the loop on the extension from the harness.  I'm quite sure you would like this harness.

Luana
New Hampshire
EXPERT

Bichon.ca

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 09:21:42 PM »

Sounds interesting.  Is it an anti pull harness as well?

Thank you Del, love it.
IzzyPop (Natalie)
NOVICE

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 10:32:54 PM »

The cat one you put their legs in the openings & tightened the "clasp" behind their shoulders until it fit snugly so they couldn't get out.  If that makes any sense
flufflvr
NOVICE

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 01:12:48 AM »

I just might have to try this out!

101 Creative Ideas For Animal Assisted Therapy http://aatideas.com
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 02:54:42 PM »

Oh, I know he could chew most any harness. I guess what I wondered is if the design lent itself to his being able to get his mouth down to the rope while he was wearing it- does that make sense? The leash I would never leave on if not walking him, because that would be chewed in a heartbeat.

I have the mesh/ Puppia type that he can't chew, but he does the choking thing with it. I'll probably just get one of these and give it a try.

Thanks for all your help!

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 05:09:01 PM »

Sounds interesting.  Is it an anti pull harness as well?

No it is not that style, Luana.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 12:48:34 AM »

OK, so I first posted about this 3 MONTHS ago, but I just finally ordered it- and it came 2 days ago. I really, really recommend this. It goes on so slick, he doesn't seem to even notice it's on, and best of all, he can't slip out of it. So far he hasn't even tried. I love that it's all one piece so it really cuts down on the steps. Two thumbs up!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: