Bichon Frise Community
September 02, 2014, 03:39:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long can your Bichon hold his/her bladder?  (Read 4395 times)
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« on: August 15, 2010, 04:45:53 PM »

I have been reading posts regarding questions on potty training and it has jogged my memory to ask how long can your Bichon hold his bladder.
I am finding that my two can hold their bladder VERY long during the night. I'm questioning this as I often read that Bichons have small bladders, they go often, they are harder to train etc. There have been many threads regarding cystals/stones in the urine too and how drinking plenty of fluids and urination can help. So I am wondering how much and how often is normal?
During this nice warm summer weather my pups are outside a lot, I honestly don't know how often they pee during the day but I know they do. On walks we have special potty/marking places and both will usually go on command when we are on day trips.  I do know how often they pooh as I have to pick it up, and  that department is normal, Luigi 2x per day, Lia 3.
But what is concerning me is the evening pee. We take a walk after our dinner, some time after 7 pm and we are back in the house by 9 pm. For the past few weeks the pups are not interested in doing last call at 10 or 11 pm, even if I carry them out they just don't have to go.  No So at 11:00 pm I put them in their crates and there they stay until Lia wakes up in the morning, anywhere between 7 and 9 am. At this point Luigi gets up also as Lia won't let him sleep any longer.  Laughing There is no rush to get outside in the morning either. So this means that they are holding their bladders for appox. 12 hours.
I'm not complaining as this works fine for me as we all get a good nights sleep and we don't have accidents in the house either.
So what is your schedule like?

Thank you Alison!
IzzyPop (Natalie)
NOVICE

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 05:16:41 PM »

I noted the same thing, and have often wondered.  Izzy goes overnight without going potty, no problem.  She has held it up to 16 hours before without going potty at all.  Same goes for my two Labs, they can go 16 hours overnight no problem without being let out, they're in no rush to go out to go potty in the AM.
Rawfed
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »

My friend's  fluff can hold his a long time. He has held it for 14 hours before and when he went out to pee, he wouldn't pee until he went for a walk a couple more hours later. 

When dogs adapt to holding it for a long time, even when they are let out, they are not in a hurry to pee, so they will not be eliminating as often as they should and that's really not a good thing because it can lead to infections of the bladder, kidney and other parts of the urinary tract.

During the night when we sleep (and when dogs sleep), our kidneys shut down and that is why we don't need to get up to go pee in the middle of our sleep, so we don't need to eliminate. So if a dog is sleeping for the whole 14 hours then it's okay, but if the dog doesn't sleep the whole 14 hours straight, then his kidneys are still working and trying to eliminate but there is no room for the urine to flow down the urinary tract, so some of it will stay inside and the rest will stay in the urethra and the bladder. It is when it is there for a long time that it can lead to infection because urine has impurities/toxins that the body is ridding itself of. You don't want that to remain in the organs so long.

chichsmum
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 06:39:41 PM »

Chich holds her bladder a long time. She wants to pee indoors and I won't let her. I take her in and out in  and out and it can be 14 hours before she pees after her night in her crate.  If I give in it will be disaster as I won't be able to take her to visit family etc. I also do not want pee in my house any  more. This battle is exhausting me.

Carolyn

lorraine (Lorraine)
GURU

Bichons are Best, Ella & Gabby are white diamonds!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:14:19 PM »

Interesting topic, Ella gets up to pee or poop at least twice a night in her newspaper area. This is a worry with the new one coming.  I wish that I could work out a solution but I haven't a clue as I don't want to crate them and they sleep in a different part of the house.
There have been times when she has not went for very long periods and she gives me no clues about when she wants to go that I can recognise.  sad

adonia
NOVICE

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:52:12 PM »

Well ive thought about this alot and even asked my vets advice when Benji got neutered. B enji wees for england in the am but once 10pm comes around thats the end.In fact after that when we get up in the am he still wont go out until 2 hours later. To be honest it takes alot of persuading to entice him out of his crate in our bedroom and then h!ell go downstairs and jump on the settee. Hubby says hes like our teenager.Really its good  especially at weekends but must admit i try and coax him out as get worried but he seems to sigh at me.
chichsmum
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 08:13:56 PM »

Thats what Chich does. Won't go pee until at least an hour and a half after we get up. Just sits outside on her butt and looks at me with a baleful look.

Carolyn

adonia
NOVICE

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 08:43:55 PM »

Yes Benji is the hold it in man.Not because he doent have the opp,  but because hes so lazy.Ive even carried him outside in the am but he runs right back inside on the setee. His face seems to say leave me alone crazy mom.Could this be a future problem  ie pee infections because he holds himself sooooo long.
Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 9 year old Texan

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 08:48:02 PM »

Missy comes in from her last walk about 9 PM.  She is a sleepy head  fluffyawn    in the morning but drags herself out of bed around 7 to share my breakfast.  She goes out for her first and usually her longest walk right after that.  When she was younger, I worried about her holding it for such a long time but she doesn't seem in any rush to go out in the morning.  

Thanks Del
Freedom (Sandie)
East Providence, RI, USA
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:10:34 PM »

I was going to say what Ella said, about our bodies -- and the dogs as well -- slowing down during sleep at night.

We do last call at night before going to bed, usually between 9:30 and 10.  ALL have to go out; I insist.  they know it, and when I say "last call," any slackers come along outside.  Most times, all go.  Sometimes one or another won't.  As they drive Dad and I crazy going in and out from 7  PM on, I figure any who don't have to go at last call went recently.

In the AM, we get up from bed and all go out.  They get breakfast treats AFTER they pee and return in.   Amazing how quickly they catch on and will pee so they can run back in for that breakfast biscuit!   thumbsup  This is usually between 7 and 8 AM.  But Marlin ALWAYS gets me up early for his first pee of the day, then he and I return to bed and to sleep.  He has tried -- GOSH has he TRIED! -- to train ME to give him a breakfast biscuit after this early morning trip.  Nope. closedeyes  back to SLEEP.

Flock of Fluffs; Clowder of Cats; Thx Alison!
darwinsmom (Chris)
EXPERT

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 09:54:19 PM »

Darwin has been able to hold his bladder for 8+ hours (nighttime) since we brought him home at 9 weeks old. BUT, if he gets excited (like when my husband comes home) he can't hold it 2 seconds (We call him Mr. excitable urination). Go figure.

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »

Both of mine can make it through most nights with a last call at 11:00.  If they are disturbed and get out of their beds during the night it is necessary to then take them out.  That happens rarely.  Sassy rises earliest (about 5:30) but usually makes a trip to the potty place in the basement on her own and then returns to bed.  I take both of them out by 7:00 AM.  The concern with letting your bichon decide to hold it more than 8 hours is that you are setting up an environment in that dog's bladder for crystal and stone formation.  Moving the urine through as fast as possible helps to slow down crystal and stone formation.  Both of my girls get a half cup of added liquid at their morning and late afternoon meals.  Of course this means more trips out, but it also means the urine is more diluted reducing the potential for crystal and stone formation.  Don't be happy that your bichon waits a long time.  It is not such a good thing!

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 10:41:50 PM »

Well it seems that it is pretty normal for the  fluff fluff to be able to hold it during the night.
During the night when we sleep (and when dogs sleep), our kidneys shut down and that is why we don't need to get up to go pee in the middle of our sleep, so we don't need to eliminate. So if a dog is sleeping for the whole 14 hours then it's okay, but if the dog doesn't sleep the whole 14 hours straight, then his kidneys are still working and trying to eliminate but there is no room for the urine to flow down the urinary tract, so some of it will stay inside and the rest will stay in the urethra and the bladder. It is when it is there for a long time that it can lead to infection because urine has impurities/toxins that the body is ridding itself of. You don't want that to remain in the organs so long.
This is what I thought too, as when we are younger we hold our bladders during the night, but now that I am older I do get up once during the night, but then again I do drink most of my liquid during the night too.
My Border Collie always held her bladder if we weren't home. We could go 12 hours easy to a wedding and reception, gone 12 hours and she would never mess in the house, but then too she didn't eat and probably didn't drink while we were gone. She would just sleep. Granted it didn't happen often, but I always remember my SIL having to hire a sitter for her Peke, or saying she had to get home quickly as Nikki was alone. As Nikki soiled whenever she had to go, no matter where she was.
Granted I have never left Luigi and Lia longer than 4 hours, and if I were gone longer than that I would be getting a sitter, cause BICHONS are just not dogs!  Laugh and Bounce
But I know they do eat, drink and pee regularly during their waking hours so I don't feel I have reason to worry too much. As the days get shorter and the nights longer, I’m sure our evening walks will decrease and all that evening peeing and marking will end and they will have to get back to peeing on last call, and usually our house does not get more than 7-8 hours sleep, as once someone is up and awake so is Lia, but Luigi, he is like Benji, a lazy teenager in the morning.  Well ive thought about this alot and even asked my vets advice when Benji got neutered. B enji wees for england in the am but once 10pm comes around thats the end.
Did your vet give you any concrete advice or an answer? I think last call at 10 pm is ok, yes? Some of us like 8+ hours beauty sleep per night.

Thank you Alison!
Andrea
G.O.D.

Noah

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 11:02:32 PM »

Our morning starts everyday (Noah does not understand weekends mean sleeping in longer) between 530 and 5:45am.  Noah goes out and tinkles, then he comes in and has breakfast.  He plays around for a few minutes, then he goes back outside for his constitutional.  When I am home, he will go out several times during the day.  He always has to tinkle on our walks in the evening.  Last call is usually between 11 and 12.  So I guess the answer to how long Noah holds his bladder is 6-7 hours.  I , like Mary Ellen, add chicken water to his food at both feedings so he can tinkle more often.  If I am gone longer than expected during the day, he will tinkle on his indoor potty box.

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 03:03:40 PM »

Abby occasionally wakes in the night and wants a pee.Other times she's in no rush in the morning and can go well over 12 hours.Alison

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: