Bichon Frise Community
April 18, 2014, 12:59:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tums for tear stains  (Read 3312 times)
adonia
NOVICE

« on: July 21, 2010, 06:43:03 AM »

Hi everyone, i have read that tums can be given for tear stains. Has anyone else heard of this an if so whats the dosage i should be giving.Thanks.
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 07:26:53 AM »

I have heard of it,but never tried it.Alison

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:32:06 AM »

Tums!  Well, be careful because these contain calcium.  Dogs need certain proportions of calcium/magnesium.  Giving too much calcium can cause other health issues.  Why not try the distilled water with a tsp. of apple cider vinegar first.  There is less chance for a health risk with that.  This may help:
http://www.bichon.org/CareTearStains.htm

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »

wave Adonia, Tums is an antacid, and --like MaryEllen pointed out -- contains calcium.  What it'll do is change your Bichon's pH by making the tears 'environment' hostile stop for yeast & bacteria growth.  Adding ACV to drinking water Drink does the same thing, ie. changes pH.  If Benji is teething, you might wanna wait till that is over before trying any tear-stain removal strategies, be it oral or topical.

Annie36
G.O.D.

Mommy's little boy

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »

I agree with Del.....if it's teething, there is really not a lot of things you can do if any that will help. It is just a stage we have all toughed it through. Keeping the eyes clean and dry is the best thing in the teething stage.

Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 05:12:19 PM »

I agree witht he others,   nodding Lucy has bad staining but I wouldnt give her tums  noway I'm going to try the distilled water with a tsp of sider vinigar, ive tried the distilled water which hasnt worked  noway but ive never put sider vinigar in it   thinking  Thanks fpr that Mary Ellen  bouquet
john_vestal

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »

Hi all! The staining I truly believe is caused by the dyes used for food coloring in their brand. Check the label, a lot of dog food has food coloring added to make it more pleasing to the eye, (your eye). l.o.l....not the dogs...Try them on food without any dyes added, that should do the trick!
john_vestal

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 04:05:08 PM »

P.S. I think the tums are meant to be topical, though I haven't heard of it either....
chichsmum
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 05:34:40 PM »

Chich has allergies to the environment.She has always had food with no colouring etc. First Royal Canin and for the last 6 weeks she has been on Orijen adult. I am changing her to Origin fish formula this weekend.

Chichs tear staining is a red yeast infection caused by mold in the wet grass. It rains all winter here.

Carolyn

Raewync (Rae)
Super G.O.D.

Livin the life of Riley

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »

I believe there are so many different reasons out fluffs get tear stains that pretty much what works for one may not for others.  I think climate change has a big effect.  Places like Singapore have constant high temps, where as NZ has every changing conditions lots of grass and pollens.  I would not use tums for this as others have said.

Another Terri creation
chichsmum
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 08:45:03 PM »

Auckland has pollen all year round now. I think we get about 2mths of no pollen. Some shrubs and plants are blooming all year. My day lilies bloom all year now. My orchids bloom outside in August. (Cymbidiums) It has been said Auckland is the allergy capital of the world so its not surprising our dogs get environmental allergies in Auckland.

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »

Many of us have had success using Greek yogurt (plain).  We feed a small spoonful to our fluffs once a day.  The good bacteria helps to keep the digestive system working optimally.  Whatever the reason, it seems to work for many of us.

chichsmum
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 09:57:56 PM »

ACV, probiotics etc are not working for Chich as its still the rainy season and the triggers are still here. Can't wait for summer! I have done everything but the next thing is a course of meds the vet says.

Carolyn

Raewync (Rae)
Super G.O.D.

Livin the life of Riley

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 10:52:06 PM »

I think I told you once before the ACV didn't work for Riley either.  I can't help think like you Carolyn just our climate etc has the major effect.  Riley can go months with clear as eyes and be white as snow, then over night bam red pouring out his eyes, and the only change will be season.

I am hoping the grain free may mean we don't get anymore but am not holding my breath.

Another Terri creation
chichsmum
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 06:53:47 AM »

Our climate sucks! We can grow anything but we also grow lots of allergies!  I think the high protein food actually exacerbates the staining round the mouth. What do you think?

Carolyn

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: