Bichon Frise Community
October 31, 2014, 06:10:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: senior Bichons? what age???  (Read 792 times)
Rosalyn
NOVICE

I love Bichon Frise Message Forum

« on: May 09, 2010, 12:18:11 PM »

Since our bichons seem to act as kids  for a long time, I have been wondering something.  At what age is a bichon considered a senior dog?

Rosalyn
Annie36
G.O.D.

Mommy's little boy

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:37:29 PM »

This answer depends on the breed of dog you have. A lab for example only lives around 10-15 years tops and is considered senior after 7 years old. A Bichon would not be considered senior till around 10 years old if their life expectancy is 15+ years. Mostly, I think it is different for each dog. If they act young and healthy, then they don't need to be treated old and senior....now if they are ailing and acting old, then they need to be treated accordingly. My Rosie(Lab) acted fine till the last two years of her life....she lived to be 16......we had just about stopped walking her because she just couldn't do it anymore. Buddy, our 6 year old Lab is a nut.....he will chase a ball as long as you throw it and run as long as you will......So I say let the dog be the one to tell you if they are senior or not. Jake is only 2 and is still full of energy Laughing

marilyn
GURU

mummys gawjus puppys

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »

Mr Harry is soon to be 9 and is classed as a senior Doh by the insurance company whistling

He acts like a puppy some days........blitzing and playing with Poppy  devil who keeps him on his toes

Some days he's a pipe and slippers man and just lies about all day.

Marilyn  bouquet
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 03:08:02 AM »

I agree nodding with Annie, she summed it up well.  I think we had a thread before about 'checking' (via a test) our Bichon's fluff real age.  Will try to find that thread later.

PS: How old is Kirby fluff now?

Rosalyn
NOVICE

I love Bichon Frise Message Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:56:23 AM »

Kirby turned 6 on March 31st.   She hasn't slowed down any except in the mornings . She has never been a morning type.

Rosalyn
Freedom (Sandie)
East Providence, RI, USA
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »

Also depends on who is asking.  My vet considers all cats and dogs to be senior at 7 years of age.  This means that they have to have a full CBC (blood work) before they have anesthesia; even for a dental.  And after age 10 he recommends a heart EKG as well!

When I adopted Lacey, I asked him her age.  He said 5 to 7 years.  I went with the 5 years, KNOWING it would cost me more in vet bills (over the course of her life) if I used 6 or 7.   Laughing  She had to be spayed and if I used age 7, I would have spent a lot more right off the bat!  So now, even though I say she is 7, she could be as much as 9.

Sugar's neck thickened over the winter, the way it does in older dogs.  She was 12.5 years when that happened.  She doesn't seem to have slowed down at all.  In general, bichons calm down a bit around age 5, but that has nothing to do with them being seniors!

Thank you, Alison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: