Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 19, 2019, 02:47:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QUICK LINKS to Food-Related Threads/Topics  (Read 12187 times)
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« on: May 12, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »

This thread will replace the numerous food-related threads that were previously stickied.

IF YOU'RE FEEDING KIBBLE...

Every so often, new members will ask what kibble is best to feed their Bichon fluff.
Here are s to our kibble-related threads that will help.

arrow KIBBLE GRADING SYSTEM :: requests & questions
arrow KIBBLE GRADING SYSTEM :: lists of kibble graded
arrow HOW TO CHOOSE healthy kibble for your Bichon
arrow INGREDIENTS TO LOOK OUT FOR in kibble

arrow Article: Vitamin K is very bad for your dog and its in wet & dry foods
arrow Another Nutritionist's opinion about Vitamin K3

arrow GRAINLESS vs GRAIN foods
arrow VEGETARIAN DIET?
arrow

Previous questions/discussions we've had on specific brands of kibble...
arrow IAMS puppy food: good or bad?
arrow EUKANUBA company bought out?
arrow MERRICK
arrow NATURE'S RECIPE
arrow PEDIGREE & BURNS
arrow ROYAL CANIN
arrow NUTRO being investigated
arrow
(I'll add more as & when I retrieve the threads)

Websites with kibble information & reviews.
arrow http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:50:40 PM by Admin_Keith » Logged

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:53:11 AM »

IF YOU'RE COOKINGS/SUPPLEMENTING WHOLE FOODS...
For members who are supplementing their Bichon's fluff kibble with whole foods and/or cooking chef whole foods for their Bichon(s), here are s to our whole-foods-related threads.
arrow Article: How Calcium & Reg Vit. D works for the health of your Bichon
arrow Article: Pumpkin Plus and what it can help naturally
arrow Article: Parsley for your Bichon
arrow Article: Probiotics for your Bichon

Previous threads/discussions meeting we've had about whole foods
arrow BICHON-SPECIFIC FOOD/DIET: do you buy it?
arrow HOME-COOKING & Supplements
arrow

Some recipes see our members have shared...
arrow Chicken Rice Cakes (Rachael Ray)
arrow "Bugs Away" Breakfast Recipe
arrow Tasty Recipe for a sick fluffer
arrow SPOT'S CHICKEN STEW (by Andi Brown, founder of Halo pet food line)
arrow

If your Bichon has (or has had) bladder stones sick.... read these threads!
arrow Bladder Stones: Foods high in oxalates
arrow Home Made Diets for Bladder Stones

(I'll add more as & when I 'retrieve' the threads)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:20:34 PM by EDDEL » Logged

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »

IF YOU'RE FEEDING RAW (BARF diet)...

I know there are a handful of members whose Bichons are on a raw/BARF diet. Here are links to barf-related questions/discussions.
arrow RAW CHICKEN WINGS/BONES good/bad?
arrow Adding raw meat to puppy's diet?
arrow TRENDS IN HOME PREPARED DIETS (ie. BARF)
arrow Feeding fresh food or BARF?
arrow Can I have a bone.... UNCOOKED?
arrow RAW MEAT okay for puppies?
arrow
arrow

Commercially available raw/frozen food.
arrow NATURE'S VARIETY vs STELLA & CHEWYS
arrow
arrow
arrow

(I'll add more as & when I retrieve the threads)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:51:26 PM by Admin_Keith » Logged

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 10:21:30 AM »

IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR TREATS...
Be it commercially produced treats or home-made treats, here are a few threads about treats Ice Cream 2 our fluffs Love word!
arrow Best Treats: recommendations from members
arrow POLL: What snacks do you give your Bichon?

arrow RECIPE for Tuna Training Treats

(I'll add more as & when I 'retrieve' the threads)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:55:50 PM by EDDEL » Logged

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:46:30 PM »

If you are interested in cooking for your dog you can start with a pre-mix.    A pre-mix is a dry food that contains all the things a dog requires.  You cook it in water (like making hot cereal) and add your own meat.  I like that you can choose your own meat (organic, free-range, hormone free, etc.) and lightly cook it (or serve it raw)to retain as many nutrients as possible.  Dogfood is way over cooked!  You mix the pre-mix and the meat together and serve.  It is quite easy.  You can make a week's worth ahead and freeze in containers.  Here are links for a couple.
I prefer the Dr. Harvey's.
http://www.sojos.com/food.html
http://www.drharveys.com/products/show/12-canine-health
http://www.prairiebliss.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=13&cat=Mixes
     MaryEllen

doggieskye
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »

I agree with MaryEllen, I like the pre-mixes better than kibble. 

My favorite is the Honest Kitchen because it is all made in a human food plant and they are the only pet food maker that make their food in a human food plant. Their food is truly human-grade from the ingredients to their packaging. It's really hard to get it here in Ontario but I have been driving across the N.Y. border to get mine. They have different flavors. Very good ingredients, some are organic and hormone free.  They also have one that has no meat but good stuff and you can add whatever meat you want to make it a complete food.  Skye loves the taste of Keen, Embark, Preference, and Verve.  For some reason he doesn't like Force but I've read a lot of people say their dog loves Force.  I am trying to switch Skye to raw completely though. I just gave him is first raw turkey neck a day ago. He handled it well. I like adding raw the Honest Kitchen mix because it makes me feel better knowing if I'm not feeding the right nutrients in raw then at least the mix is nutritionally balanced.
MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 09:59:29 PM »

This website was recommended to me by a friend who takes her dog to an holistic vet.  The recipes are created by 2 board certified veterinary nutritionists (there are only 37 of them in the whole world)!  My friend has been using recipes that she got on from this site for a couple of years and is very enthusiastic about sharing it.  It looks like it could reduce a lot of the fear that someone may have about being sure that their fluff gets a balanced diet while home cooking.  It does not support raw feeding.  I ordered one recipe to try.  There is also a feature that a vet can use to get a "prescription" diet for a client.  I'm going to ask my vet to do it for Mattie!  Of course they want you to use their supplement with their recipes, but they do offer you recipes where you can find your own supplements.
If you want to try homecooking but have been worried about "getting it right" here's a way to try it!  MaryEllen
https://secure.balanceit.com/_clients2/about.php

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 10:50:17 AM »

Here are some home cooking recipe/videos! 
If you are worried about making sure your bichon is getting all the essentials, you can supplement with something like Nupro, Solid Gold, or Missing Link.  You can feed 50/50, mixing your current dogfood with home cooked.  I'm convinced that real, whole, homecooked food is far better for my bichons!  Why not give it a try?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFs9Mto3bJE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6RI5Ht_5xY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowV3nFHks8&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yXrdBq_aBk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf5D36a2jLg&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBMl5bsUHb4&feature=related

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 11:14:18 PM »

I came across this dog food rating site.  I like the complete explanations for all of the grading decisions. 

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

BeefryBichonFrise

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 07:14:33 AM »

Thank you for posting the links for cooking recipe videos. They are very interesting and fun to make. I will prepare and make those recipes next week. Smiley

Bichon frise training is not a joke. You need to have patience, dedication, perseverance, and heart. Do you have it all???
Mo

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 01:01:54 PM »

Are there any recipe's for diabetic Bichons?
MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »

Hope this helps.  I trust Dr. Pitcairn.  If you don't have his book, you should buy it. 
http://www.amazon.com/Pitcairns-Complete-Guide-Natural-Health/dp/157954973X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361290751&sr=8-1&keywords=dr.+pitcairn%27s+new+complete+guide+to+natural+health+for+dogs+and+cats

These recipes were formulated by Richard H. Pitcairn, DVM, and are taken from book titled "Natural Health for Dogs and Cats."
Start with a healthy powdered supplement that is mixed into batches of food and into individual meals.

Healthy Powder
2 cups nutritional or brewers yeast
1 cup lecithin granules
1/4 cup kelp powder
4 tbsp. KAL brand bone meal
1,000 mg vitamin C crystals
Mix the yeast, lecithin, kelp, bone meal and vitamin C thoroughly and store in a quart-sized container in the refrigerator.
Add the powder blend as directed to recipes and to individual meals as follows:
1 to 2 tsp. a day for toy, small dogs
2 to 3 tsp. a day for medium dogs
 3 to 4 tsp. a day for large dogs
4 to 5 tsp. per day for very large dogs

This recipe is about 32 percent protein, 17 percent fat and 47 percent complex carbohydrates. It yields about 5 cups of food.

Diabetic Dinner
2 cups unsalted cooked brown rice
2 cups (about 1 lb.) ground lean turkey
1 cup unsalted home-cooked kidney beans, OR low-sodium canned kidney beans
1 egg, beaten, uncooked
1 tbsp. healthy powder supplement (see recipe above)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. KAL bone meal
1 to 10,000 IU vitamin A and D capsule
1 to 400 IU vitamin E capsule
1 tsp. tamari soy sauce OR 1/8 tsp. iodized salt
1 small clove of garlic, minced fine

Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet, using a spoon or spatula to break up the chunks. Cook until all the pink is gone. Pour the cooked turkey and its fat and juices into a large stainless steel bowl and set it aside to cool for 5 minutes.

With a pair of clean scissors, snip the tips off the vitamin A and D and E capsules and push the oil out of the capsules and into the cooked turkey. Discard the capsules.

Add the brown rice, kidney beans, beaten egg, healthy powder supplement, olive oil, KAL bone meal, tamari soy sauce OR iodized salt and the garlic to the turkey . Blend all of the ingredients thoroughly.

Serve it to your diabetic dog in the serving size recommended by your veterinarian, or using the portion sizes in the next section as a guideline.

Feeding

Diabetic dogs suffer from blood sugar spikes that can cause long-term damage to their vision, nervous systems and circulatory systems. To keep blood sugar steady, try feeding your diabetic dog smaller meals 2 or 3 times per day instead of one giant meal every day. Consult your veterinarian for portion sizes or use this guideline:

Toy dogs: slightly less than 2 cups Diabetic Doggy Dinner per day
Small dogs: 4 cups Diabetic Doggy Dinner per day
Medium dogs: 6 to 7 cups Diabetic Doggy Dinner per day
Large dogs: 8 cups Diabetic Doggy Dinner per day
Very large dogs: 9 to 10 cups Diabetic Doggy Dinner per day

Planning Ahead

You can make preparing your diabetic dog recipe simpler by making some ingredients in advance and freezing them in recipe-size quantities. The rice and beans, for instance, can be made ahead in large amounts. Beans can be pressure-cooked for fast use, with the excess going into the freezer. You can also double this recipe as many times as you like and freeze it in individual portions. To serve frozen food, heat it in the microwave to thaw and bring it to room temperature.

Read more: Diabetic Recipes for Dogs | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4811303_diabetic-recipes-dogs.html#ixzz2LMX73BZs

Daisy's Mom
Daisy and her mom Rosie!
ENTHUSIAST

Daisy Mae

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »

I love all the great articles and I used to cook Daisy's food all the time , but she would get moody and not eat it and I guess I was tired of cookingHAHA Now I asked my holistic vet about the best canned food I can give her that was safe and he said Natures variety Instinct Lamb  she only gets a 1/4 of a cup twice a day he put her on a diet and believe it or not shes lost 2 lbs of the 5 she has to lose. she weighs 23 lbs and I think she needs more lose then that. I use to cook her boiled chicken and brown rice with a bag of mixed veggies then put them in a food processor. I know its good for her but I have to say it was as if I was at the store to much buying chicken but it was good for her. Now the holistic vet I have gave me this canine omega 3 fish oil so now she doesn't scratch like she used to and her skin is so much better. she has been born with only 1/3 of her hips in her socket so now she is feeling it some times sore and her front legs are crooked since and had lactating( I cant spell it ) legs that pop in and out some times when she plays SOO now she has opc synergy thats a antioxidants ,Actistatin thats a joint and bone support, inflammation , antioxidant rich, energy support digestive support, finally she has Ligaplex II for muscle and joint repair those three pills and fish oil has made Daisy feel younger and faster. the weight will help . Its so hard to get a perfect pup  but you just don't know its like the lottery who knows how people breed and I payed 850.00 dollars but I love her know matter what so if you can make their food do so it was a great experience for me. I just want the best for her and I guess Id say spend on her no matter how much it cost their  our babies.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: