VITAMIN K3 IS VERY BAD FOR YOUR DOG AND ITS IN THE WET AND DRY FOODS

(1/7) > >>

LadyDiane555:
VITAMIN K3

BY: Diane Jansey, Canine Nutritionist
Bestow Bichon Frise, Orange California

What is vitamin K3 and should this be in the food that you feed your dog?  Vitamin K3 is a synthetic that is very controversial in today’s pet food formulations. Some formulators say this will not hurt your dogs and others stating this will cause harm in the long term and possible hurt your dog within a short period of time.

WHY DOES THIS VITAMIN GO BY SO MANY DIFFERENT NAMES?

Vitamin K3 has many different names menadione, dimethylprimidinol sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite, menadione dimethylprimidinol sulfate and often listed as a “source of vitamin K activity” or “vitamin K supplement”.  All of the above compounds are the same product that was taken out of use in all human food products back in 1969 by the FDA.  K3 was taken out of products allowed for human consumption because the human body could not process this derivative of vitamin K as it was water soluble and would not be absorbed or utilized in the system bypassing the natural pathways of the body and in fact caused a host of health problems that will be listed below.

Menadione (K3) is a synthetic version of vitamin K.  Vitamin K in its natural form is known as Phylloquinine and is derived from plant sources.  While Vitamin K2 called Menaquinone is synthesized by bacteria in the digestive tract and subsequently used by the body. 

Menadione (K3) is a very inexpensive product and is added to our pet food formulations out of being misinformed “to help with blood clotting”.  This is incorrect assumption of the dog food companies as it has been proven to be inferior and proven to be ineffective for blood clotting.  If your pet were having issues with internal bleeding after being poisoned or from a surgery, the Veterinarian would use a Vitamin K1 as a recovering antidote. Other manufacturers who use K3 will state that “it stabilizes the product for extended shelf life”, while this is perhaps the real reason for using the K3 in that it will essentially wrap the food, treat, or chew in a “veil of plastic wrap”.  None of the manufacturers has acknowledged the proven and known side effects of using this substance in their formulations of pet foods, treats and chews.

Here are some things to consider, that many dog food companies offer natural sources of vitamin K in their formulations by use of liver, fish meal, green leafy plants (seaweed, alfalfa, kelp, kale, spirulina, parsley, and broccoli).  The National Research Council was not able to demonstrate a dietary requirement for vitamin K in dogs during tests when natural ingredients were fed.  Last but not least many dog food companies do not use vitamin K3 in their formulation and yet get their AFFCO stamp, distribute nationally and have had dogs live full life spans without developing deficiencies.

On the other side of the facts, here are some good reasons to make sure that you do not use a dog food with K3 in the formula. K3 has been known to reduce the function of the liver by causing cytotoxicity in liver cells.  K3 causes formation of free radicles from the enzymes of leucocytes in the cells.  K3 has shown to weaken the immune system and allowing autoimmune diseases to increase in our breeding population.  Damages the natural vitamin K usage by tricking the system to think it has correct usage at the cellular level.  Can cause hemolytic anemia even in small doses. Can increase allergic reactions and eczema at the tissue level as well as other skin irritations and irritations of the mucous membranes.  K3 has a cumulative effect and can even be detected in the meat and milk of animals supplemented with K3 and all MENADIONE derivatives.

The last thing to consider is the FDA has banned synthetic Vitamin K from over the counter as well as being banned from any food that is used for human consumption due to its toxicity. European countries have banned the use of K3 in any foods or supplements due to the side effects.  All this goes back to read the label, and know what is in the food before feeding it to your pet. 

Hoffman-La Roche Professional Services 7/30/1999
The Background, why Synkavit (a synthetic vit K product) was in 1969 removed from the market, was presumably in the realization that vit. K is practically none toxic in comparison the K3/K4 version.

Hoffman-La Roche Corporate Health Protection 10/03/2000
The better is always the enemy of the good. Vit K1 is undisputedly better that Vit. K3

Hoffmann-La Roche Professional Services 6/28/1999
Synkavit Roche had hemolytic side effects as we know today, so that at the time many newborns suffered permanent damage (there were also deaths).  This promoted the recall of the product in 1967 and instead the harmless KONAKION was introduced.

Mark Rosenbloom, MD, MBA, FACEP, Adjunct Associate Professor of Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University.  This particular toxicity is typically associated with formula-fed infants or those receiving synthetic  vitamin K-3 (menadione injections.  Because of its toxicity menodione is no longer used for the treatment of vit.K deficiency.

Prof. Dr. Wolfram, Technical University Munich 12/14/2000
Menodione (vit.K3) is cheaper because it does not occur naturally.  It is also burdened with considerable side effects.  It is unsuitable for use in humans.

djansey@msn.com 

Lin:
This topic has been playing heavily on my mind all afternoon. Del wrote,
"If Annie (or any Bichon mommies for that matter) had known about menadione sodium bisulfite complex toxicity , she wouldnt  feed the kibble to Jake."
Who's to say I wouldn't knowingly feed my dog Vitamin K3?
I am playing the devils advocate here obviously, but for every anti side, there is always a pro side. For every 1000 smokers that have died of lung cancer there are 1000 old times that will tell you they have smoked for x number of years and are healthy!

After reading this post I came across this article as my dog food lists Vitamin K in it's ingredients, it was written as an anti Vitamin K3 article, but no matter how I read it I feel I can play the pro dog food side too.

Not to take things out of context I will copy and paste the link.
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione

They write that  menadione sodium bisulfite has never been researched or specifically approved for long term use, such as in pet food.

I am thinking there needs to be actual long term testing before anyone can make such strong claims. Again, what the anti side will find the pro side will no doubt have a rebuttal, and the argument will go on until one side wins and the product is banned.
There are so very many harmful chemicals and antibiotics in our food change, vitamin K3 included.  Just because something is not approved for human consumption doesn’t mean we are not eating it via poultry, eggs, pork, beef, milk and pesticide on fruits and veggies  that we the consumer are ingesting day after day, year after year, and maybe even feeding our pets in home prepared meals?
Holistic, organic, free range etc has been said to be best, yet still everyday we hear stories of contamination and fraud in food production.
It is all very confusing, and I believe we all do the best for ourselves, and our families, including our pets. We are all individual, what harms one will not always harm another, and by rights we shouldn't take chances with our health but we are all at the mercy of the food producers. In all honesty I can't get too excited about  an ingredient that is listed more than halfway down on a package in trace amounts. Unless we actually grow all our food from scratch we, will never really know what we are ingesting.

LadyDiane555:
well you are welcome to  your own opinion.

Carol:
Quote from: Linda & Luigi on March 23, 2009, 02:48:02 AM

This topic has been playing heavily on my mind all afternoon. Del wrote,
"If Annie (or any Bichon mommies for that matter) had known about menadione sodium bisulfite complex toxicity , she wouldnt  feed the kibble to Jake."Vitamin K3?
I am playing the devi
Who's to say I wouldn't knowingly feed my dog ls advocate here obviously, but for every anti side, there is always a pro side. For every 1000 smokers that have died of lung cancer there are 1000 old times that will tell you they have smoked for x number of years and are healthy!

It is all very confusing, and I believe we all do the best for ourselves, and our families, including our pets. We are all individual, what harms one will not always harm another, and by rights we shouldn't take chances with our health but we are all at the mercy of the food producers. In all honesty I can't get too excited about  an ingredient that is listed more than halfway down on a package in trace amounts. Unless we actually grow all our food from scratch we, will never really know what we are ingesting.

I have to say, Linda, that after reading this thread, it has weighed heavily on my mind all day as well. Especially after I rushed to my precious Ozzie's Performatrim Ultra kibble bag, and there at the very bottom of the list of ingredients was the dreaded K3.
My heart sunk. Ozzie has been on this kibble since puppyhood and has thrived on it. Has no health issues, no skin allergies, nothing.
For a trace amount of this, do I switch his food to something that could possibly cause him to have problems. I am sick. I think I am doing the best I can for my Ozzie, in every way. I have never taken chances with him. Will this trace amount harm him over time?
I do appreciate this information, but like Diane says, we each have our own opinions and have to make the decisions that we feel are best for ourselves and our bichons.

Annie36:
Linda thank you so much for your research and help :bouquet: I can not help but agree with you on all points. But at the same time ask the question "how do we know?" We as Americans have been so buffaloed and lied to and made look like idiots when we question the higher powers.....How do we know what is truth and what is not?

Carol, please don't feel like you have to rush out and buy a new kibble for Ozzie or feel like you are doing wrong by him...Linda was only posting an opposing view to Diane's. I think Ozzie is perfect in every way and if he is healthy and thriving there is no need to switch him.....me on the other hand, I have health issues to think about with Jake....allergies or skin infections....whatever.....I have been asking for help and advice and many on here are trying to give advice.....Some of it over the top, but needed none the less....I really do appreciate all of it. I really appreciate your input too :bouquet: I would rather know all the risks than know none or very little that dry kibble is playing in Jake's health....

Thank you Diane, Linda and Carol..... :bouquet:

How will sliced apple help him? How much or is there a limit? How long?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page