Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 16, 2019, 10:02:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help SMALL PAWS' study of puppymill dogs  (Read 5228 times)
Darby
NOVICE

« on: March 20, 2009, 11:43:16 AM »

wave
Hi Everyone-
Small Paws is helping a veternarian in Utah conduct a study regarding puppy mill dogs who have been used as breeding dogs in the past, and what the psychological impact has been on heir lives.
If everyone who has adopted a mill dog, who was a breeder, could you PLASE help this study?
With the results, this may help enact more laws regarding puppy mills.

This is a cause we are all in together!
Thanks!

Paula and Darby Von Pippen
Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »

Thanks for that where do I find it on the small paws site ?
Darby
NOVICE

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 12:38:49 PM »

wave
I just sent the email from Robin Presnall to Bichon Ca.  I will see if one of the moderators can pull the survey up.
Paula

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 12:51:48 PM »

Thursday Evening March 19, 2009

We have this request from Dr. Frank, a veterinarian working with Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah. You'll recall, a few months ago. we asked you to participate in an online study IF you have either adopted, or are currently fostering a dog that was that was used as an adult breeding dog in a puppy mill. They're not looking for people who adopted puppies from puppy mills, or puppies from pet shops, but rather dogs that were used as an adult breeding dog in a puppy mill.

Thanks all. Let's help him to get this survey completed. It may go a long way to possibly get some laws changed regarding the way these poor creatures are treated. Robin

Subject: RE: Hi Dr. Frank! It's Robin Pressnall from Small Paws Rescue!
Date: 3/17/2009 11:09:41 P.M. Central Daylight Time

To: Pup3@aol.com

Hi Robin-

With your help, our puppy mill dog study now has approximately 870 dogs enrolled. This is a huge study. But I would like to have over 1000 dogs in the study, if possible. When you sent out information about the study to your mailing list members we received a little over 400 responses! In my last push for participants before I close the study, I wonder if it might be possible to send out the information once again -- just so any of your members who didn't have a chance to participate before might be able to now. I wrote a brief notice and included it at the end of this email, in case you would be able to forward it to your mailing list members. If for any reason it all you would not be able to do this, I totally understand. I'm just doing everything possible to make this study as valuable as possible in documenting the harm done to these brave little survivors.

Thanks so much for your help!

Best,
Dr. Frank

Franklin D. McMillan, DVM, Dipl ACVIM
Director of Well-Being Studies
BEST FRIENDS ANIMAL SOCIETY
5001 Angel Canyon Road
Kanab, UT 84741
PH 435-644-2001 ext. 4470
Email dr.frank@bestfriends.org

BEST FRIENDS ANIMAL SOCIETY PUPPY MILL DOG STUDY

Best Friends Animal Society is conducting a large scale study on dogs that were once used as breeding dogs in commercial breeding facilities ('puppy mills'). We are trying to fully understand the psychological changes that occur in the dogs that have experienced this kind of life. The greater the number of dogs included in the study, the more valuable the results will be.

If you are currently caring for a dog that was used as an adult breeding dog in a puppy mill, and have not already entered your dog in this study, we would greatly appreciate your participation. Participation is a simple matter of filling out an online questionnaire, which takes approximately 15 minutes.

If you would be able to help us in this study, please simply go to the following University of Pennsylvania website to fill out the questionnaire

http://vetapps.vet.upenn.edu/cbarq/bestfriends. The pin number for this study is 9093.

If you have any trouble logging on to the questionnaire, please email me at dr.frank@bestfriends.org.

Thank you very much for your help.

Dr. Frank McMillan

Prayer Changes Things!

Subject: Henry
Date: 3/18/2009 4:00:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time

Robin, our old SPR foster who lived with the very elderly man in California is having surgery this afternoon for an abdominal mass. Henry is 15, has Cushings, so he always has had a belly, but suddenly it got much larger. There is a large, space occupying mass. Mike says it is 50/50 as to being something fixable vs. something bad. After Mike gave us our options, he was pleased with our choice to go ahead and try. He said that would have been his choice. Henry is ordinarily strong as an ox, so Mike felt that he is a good surgical risk to go after it rather than running umpteen tests, wasting time, and then having to go in anyway.

I don't know why, but usually when something like this happens to us, the outcome never seems to be what we want it to be. This is so much like Smudge, except Smudge was bleeding and in shock. So we are asking for prayer for Henry, a stubborn old dog who loves life.

Sue and Ed

Mike just called. Henry does have cancer--liver, probably the primary, and "white spots on his intestine that look like carcinoma." There was nothing that could be removed, but Mike feels he has some time left and we should take him home and love him. We will keep him medicated for pain as needed, but may not need much for a while after he gets over the surgery. He will spend the night there so our other dogs don't bother him.

Mike thinks he has some quality time left. He took some fluid out and he thinks Henry should do ok for a while.
This was not what we wanted to hear, but we do have some time left.

Still pray.
Sue>

Always remember that God loves YOU more than anyone else ever has and more than anyone else ever will.
YOU are the apple of his eye!

Humphrey Sisco
Dec 26, 1993~ Aug 30, 2006

When I first saw this beautiful picture of Cheri Sisco's "Humphrey", I thought it was truly the epitome of what we do, and why we do it. I wanted to use this black and white picture of Humphrey, taken only days before his death due to congestive heart failure, to let those who may be new to Small Paws, know what we do and why we do it. Without Small Paws, Humphrey would have never known love. He would have died in a kill shelter, sick and alone. Because of Small Paws, and Cheri Sisco, he lived, he loved, and he smiled.
Godspeed Humphrey Sisco. Godspeed.

For Those Broken of Heart from the Loss of a Beloved Pet

Small Paws Rescue, Inc. | 3316 S 72nd West Ave | Tulsa | OK | 74107 

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »

I hope that is the right one Paula, I just copied the email I received. Hope it the right one.

Darby
NOVICE

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 02:03:28 PM »

Thank you Terri for doing this for me.
This study will help puppy mill rescue dogs, and hopefully the results will change laws regarding puppy mills!

Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 06:45:21 PM »

Thanks for that Terri  thumbup
Darby
NOVICE

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »

I spoke to Robin Presnall, and she wanted me to tell everyone "hi".

She certainly appreciates any help people of puppy mill dogs can contribute to this study!

Thanks,
Paula and Darby

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: