Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 19, 2019, 02:41:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Brief BREED PROFILE of the Bichon Frise!  (Read 12037 times)
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« on: March 16, 2009, 04:42:38 AM »

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 04:51:38 AM »

To turn this into an informational thread graduate for would-be and first-time owners....

Members meeting, please feel free to add your input about the breed in general... like their temperatment daisy (from your perspective & experience with your Bichon), their trainability trampoline: (if your Bichon has done obedience/agility trials).  Just short, quick bites of information graduate that will help those who are thinking of getting a Bichon, or who are new to the breed. thumbsup

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 04:58:02 AM »

I will start by saying that the May 2005 issue of DOG FANCY had a more accurate description nodding of our breed's Country of Origin.

Quote from: DOG FANCY magazine, May 2005 issue
France is often cited, although the breed's wider-flung roots are in the Mediterranean, including the Canary Islands.

France is often cited because the Societe Centrale de France was the first to adopt an official breed standard see in 1933.

Annie36
G.O.D.

Mommy's little boy

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 11:49:22 AM »

great idea Del goodjob

Grooming is a absolute must everyday.....they need to learn as puppies how to be brushed and how to behave while being brushed out. This takes time....Jake still(one and a half) does not like to be brushed, but has learned it is going to happen anyway. When the adult coat start coming in, grooming is more important than ever, for they will matt very easily.

Carol
Keep Smiling :)
G.O.D.

Angels without wings are called Friends.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:53:49 AM »

Awesome, Del!! Looking forward to taking a few minutes to read through this. It looks like there's a lot of great information, even for us "oldies".

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 12:58:08 PM »

What would we do without you Del? You're our information "go to" gal. Laughing
I don't think I'd have made it three years with Belle is it weren't for you and your informative and very knowledgeable posts.
Thank you dahlink embrace

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »

embrace right back atcha Cap'n! Laughing  All I did was just copy-and-paste whistling.  I know most of us already know nodding about the breed, but for soon-to-be or first-time Bichon owners, this (thread) would be helpful I reckon blush.

Thanks Carol.  And Annie, I Love word your concise input! thumbsup 

SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 12:46:45 PM »

thumbsup Great job, Del! bouquet

It also reminded me Doh that I need to go buy that magazine!! swing

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 06:21:47 PM »

Can I add stubborn on an information thread?  I heard it expressed politely -as not like a lab - more stubborn!
Pam

princess
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »

Bichons do not like to be left alone. Although this is mentioned on every site I looked at before we got Princess, nothing can quite prepare you for the fact that Bichons really dont like been left behind/alone/not with you. 

SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 07:03:54 PM »

Bichons do not like to be left alone. Although this is mentioned on every site I looked at before we got Princess, nothing can quite prepare you for the fact that Bichons really dont like been left behind/alone/not with you. 

I always wondered if that is very specific to the breed thinking ... I know it is mentioned alot in books... but never having personal experience owning any other breed as an adult... I always assumed MOST breeds would prefer to be not alone/with their owners shrug .. for those of you that had/have other breeds.. is it that much more apparent with the Bichon? unsure  Like if you have a Bichon and a Cavaliar (or poodle, etc) .. when you leave... is your Bichon all  scared upset.. but the Cavy just sits there all yawn calm? thinking

princess
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »

is it that much more apparent with the Bichon? unsure  Like if you have a Bichon and a Cavaliar (or poodle, etc) .. when you leave... is your Bichon all  scared upset.. but the Cavy just sits there all yawn calm? thinking

That about sums it up  Rolled Eyes  except Princess doesnt get upset as such - she just gives me "the look" and follows me around  eyebrows 

We went to London last week for a few days and my sister took them both. She was amazed at how quickly she had a shadow  fluff

but boy o boy did I pay for my absence  nodding I have been on the receiving end of a Very Cold Shoulder for the last week (albeit still stuck to me in case I may leave again  eyebrows ) meanwhile Rogue is "whos feeding me today????"

Annie36
G.O.D.

Mommy's little boy

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 07:59:42 PM »

Jake is the clingiest dog I have ever known Boy Bichon He never wants to be apart from me.....not even if I go potty.....go smoke.....go to the kitchen......go to the bedroom.....the only time he doesn't mind being apart is when he has to go do his buisness outside.....then he don't mind it......he really don't mind if he sees a bird LOL! I have Labs and they don't really like being left alone but are nowhere near as clingy....unless you count Buddy........he is worse than Jake LOL! but only about his BOY.....Jake is that way with Gary too.... I honestly don't think any pet likes to be left, but some are just better at handling it than others......Rosie used to act like she was chasing the squirells and birds away when we got home.....the neighbors told us, she just lays in the yard all day and sleeps til you get home.....LABS LOL!

SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 08:42:01 PM »

That is interesting about Princess and Jake compared to your other breeds. blush .... I laughed about the "following you wherever you go" Laughing ... it drives my husband and son crazy (with jealousy eyebrows ) that if they are cuddling with da boys clown manfro and I get up to leave the room they HAVE to follow me! vain ... my husband has always joked that Max thinks I'm his "b*t*h"! Laughing

Annie36
G.O.D.

Mommy's little boy

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 08:44:33 PM »

Laugh Hysterical I get that here too Laugh Hysterical I think he is just jealous nodding Laughing

SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 08:54:10 PM »

Laugh Hysterical I get that here too Laugh Hysterical I think he is just jealous nodding Laughing

Laughing I think so too Laughing ... thinking either that..  thinking or he enjoys being able to call me a "b*t*h" and get away with it! Glare Laugh Hysterical

Annie36
G.O.D.

Mommy's little boy

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 09:32:36 PM »

Laugh Hysterical I think that too....he knows he would be in BIG trouble otherwise Laugh Hysterical

LunasMum (Traci)
EXPERT

Little Luna Lovegood

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 09:40:27 PM »

I have the same thing with both Luna and Pippin (maybe it's cause he is a cousin breed). If Julienne has coaxed them into sitting with her and I move at all, they are both up and at my feet to see what I might do. Julienne gets mad everytime.

So I'd say they are a bit clingy... and also they talk about grooming, and it's not just the brushing. They are white after all and if you want that puffy look, it takes time. Both  fluff  fluff kids were extremly grungy today. I set aside three hours to get them looking like they should. Very time consuming.

And although the books say exercise requirements are small (compared to other breeds) mine aren't as happy if they don't get their daily walk, the more the better. They have lots of energy.

Molly_Baba

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »

Hey i'm new to this. I just got a bichon for my 18th birthday and my 12 year old brother also got one. there amazing little dogs. Lucky is my brothers dog and he is so adventerus but Milo my little man he is always up for a snuggle. Love them to bits.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: