Bichon Frise Community
October 30, 2014, 08:34:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ear Hair Plucking..Good or Bad???  (Read 3467 times)
SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« on: January 22, 2006, 07:54:21 PM »

A recent poll Del started on Grooming Frustrations.. Click Here .. brought up the subject of ear hair plucking possibly being considered negatively now?

A member's vet told them it was a recent turn of events in the vet industry....

Theory is that , unless your dog has ear problems, you should leave well enough alone because plucking the hairs, basically does more harm than good?? thinking

Just wanted to start a whole new thread on this, because I am very interested to hear what others have discovered/heard about this.....

In addition, I'm always wondering exactly HOW MUCH are you supposed to pluck out??? confused? I've seen other breeds where their ears are just FILLED? shocking2 with hair....... Max, not so much? thinking .? ?I pull out some clumps that seem to come out easy enough once in awhile, but I thought I had to get EVERY hair out of there!? crazy... which did not make Max happy... Crying

I tried to get a good pic of his ear... but it was hard? sweatdrop .... you can see hairs near the outside of his canal.. but not much IN it.? thinking

Now I'm wondering if I should pluck at all????? confused

karen_thompson
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 08:37:46 PM »

I hadn't thought too much about the ear hair, for some reason I assumed that the groomer was plucking the hair out of Cassie's ears.  However, on closer inspection, I don't think that she is. Her ears appear to have quite a bit more than Max's do (good picture, btw).  Is the reason for plucking the hair to prevent ear infections?   confused   thinking  Susan, how do you remove the hair from Max's ears?  with tweezers?  I guess I need to do some work on Cassie, which is probably not going to go over to well, she doesn't even like to be brushed!  blush crazy
Lynn
NOVICE

I love my Shiloh

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 08:45:43 PM »

I've noticed If I don't take the hair out of Shiloh's ears, her ears will smell. And there have been at times when I have plucked the hair out, that there was quite abit of wax attached to the hair. So I think i'm going to keep on plucking.... Laughing

Donnalee
I Love New York!
ENTHUSIAST

I love my Harley!!

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 10:04:03 PM »

WOW, Susan!!!!!!!!!!!  That's a really clean ear!!!!!!!!   Maybe trimming is safer?

GMomof11
NOVICE

Adora Belle Abby

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »

The only time that I know of Abby's ears being plucked was when I took her to the vet and she had a ear infection. It doesn't look like it needs it. Maybe they clip hers when she goes to the groomer, that's something I'll ask the next time she goes.

Kristen363
NOVICE

Bichon.ca

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 11:33:22 AM »

I know the groomers here DO pluck and only don't if you specify not to. (I've called enough of them now to know this now. )  blush It was my vet who said not to do it, and I do want to add that just a couple months before this he had told me TO pluck, so I threw that at him when he told me not to and he explained it was the newest recommendation. I've been reading a book on natural pet healing and, LOL, it actually says in there not to.
  I am clearly on the fence on this one.  confused Let me explain why....Baxter had been having his ears plucked from the time we got him and my vet told us TO do it, we never had a problem. Along came Samspon and this is when my vet said NOT to pluck. I asked him if this applied to Baxter as well and he said "all breeds" so we have never plucked Samspon's. Baxter's ears have not been plucked since and look great still, nice and clean, no irritation. Just this week Sampson's left ear has become red and angry. (this I found after I posted what my vet said!)  I did notice he wanted me to rub that ear more than usual, but then he started rubbing it on the floor so I looked in there again.   I cleaned his ears really well yesterday with the ear solution and if it doesn't look better today we'll be calling the vet--and probably getting his ears plucked from now on!
Personally, I think if it's working for your dog and plucking isn't causing them to have ear trouble, keep up with it.

Kristen
Meranda
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 11:49:10 PM »

i pluck cubbys ears myself, i have found that he scratches at them if i dont pluck them b/c im sure that hair in there is itchy. our groomer does not pluck the ears. i have read that wax builds up around the hairs. and that moisture is more likely to stay in the ears b/c the hair isnt letting air dry it out as easily.

SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 11:23:46 AM »

Thanks for all your replies everyone!? flowers...

.... thinking I'm still not sure what I'll do?? Don't Get It blink

I'll probably continue to get the easy "big clumps" out, but not obsess wacko like I did, and try to get out EVERY hair!? crazy tongue1 blush

Susan, how do you remove the hair from Max's ears?? with tweezers??

Yes, tweezers... but make sure you use ones with a blunt end ..... I didn't in the past and "poked" Max accidently with them before!? Crying

I have used my fingers too.? blush

Just this week Sampson's left ear has become red and angry. ....... I cleaned his ears really well yesterday with the ear solution and if it doesn't look better today we'll be calling the vet--and probably getting his ears plucked from now on!

What was the outcome with Sampson's ear??? unsure blush

Kristen363
NOVICE

Bichon.ca

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 02:48:45 PM »

Sorry, ear wash in there daily for 3-4 days and it's all cleared up, no problem.  I still don't know what Ill do....maybe bring him to the groomers and be AMAZED  ;-) when there's no ear hair after!  lol

Kristen
sparklesmom

I love Bichon.c Message Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 08:29:42 PM »

For what its worth...there are 2 "areas" I leave fully to the professionals (groomers)...ears is one and the whole anal gland "situation" is the other.  My fear in both situations is that I do not feel that I could adequately keep her still to ensure a successful and painless procedure.
lauren_fox
NOVICE

I love Bichon.c Message Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 10:12:10 PM »

Gee, I don't pluck, am I being negligent thinking

GMomof11
NOVICE

Adora Belle Abby

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 10:03:42 AM »

I don't pluck either, don't do the anal glands, and surely don't clip the nails. Abby is a lucky dog just to get in-between baths from grooming to grooming.  Laughing

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 01:20:10 PM »

Oops! I never did answer this question of Susan's......

I do pluck Bianca's ear hairs.? As with everything, I think moderation is key.? I think ears FILLED with hair is just unsightly (that's just me blush)... at the same time, I think the ear hairs do serve a little function... sorta of like filters, keeping things that are supposed to be in, inside tongue1, and things that are not supposed to be in, out blink.?

Personally I don't think plucking their ear hairs will cause them to have ear infection(s).? More often than not, it's water getting into their ears (during baths).

patricia
Matriarch
NOVICE

Baa Baa Bichon

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 01:41:18 PM »

We were also told by our breeder that getting water in the ear was most often the cause of ear infections.
I have tried? to remove some of the hair from Abigail's ears occasionally, however, we've been taking advantage of 'puppy grooming specials' (which are about half price at our Petsmart until the end of their 6th month) so there has not been too much excess hair to be concerned about yet.?
Good points to ponder though!? thinking? original

Donnalee
I Love New York!
ENTHUSIAST

I love my Harley!!

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 02:22:48 PM »

I have to agree with Del.  I do think that SOME hairs are needed to keep things out!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: